6' Guys - at what weight were you 'lean'?

Options
Rayman79
Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
OK, feel free to tell me if this is a stupid post, but here goes anyway.

I originally set my 'goal' at 80kg's, largely as an arbitrary number in that I had never been that weight and figured with my frame size that I couldn't get much below that weight. Wrong! I am now sitting just above 80 kg's (177 lbs) and have a bit of fat sitting around the gut (front and sides). I am 183cm (6' even).

I'm not sure how much of this is fat and if there is some loose skin too, but certainly some fat - I'm guessing my bf% is somewhere just under 20%, but this is just an educated guess by looking at pics of others and going on the numbers on my bf scale which I know is pretty unreliable.

The logical part of my brain knows that this is a purely individual thing and asking others in not necessarily going to help me, but nevertheless I am curious about what weight others of comparable height were when they were down to a sub 15% bf - just to give me a bit of an idea of where to set that next goal.

PS I have been lifting weights, admittedly not always HEAVY, but have done resistance training consistently since starting last September and have had a slow and steady weightloss so I don't think I have sacrificed to much LBM.

Thanks for any input.

Ray.

Replies

• raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Hi Ray.

I am 6' 2". My profile pic was taken a couple of years ago when I was between 175 and 180. I felt healthy and lean at the time.
  • chadpack
    chadpack Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm 6'1'' and the BMI says i should be 189 max to be "healthy". I'm no scientist but wouldn't muscle mass weigh more and wouldn't that cause me to weigh more than 189 and still be "healthy". Set the goal for 190 but not sure that is going to be right for me.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your in the same situation as me Chad. Pick a number, see how it feels... then pick a lower one :). More lean body mass (which of course includes muscle) will give you a better look at a higher weight.

Maybe I have overestimated my amount of LBM and it is actually quite low.
  • fvincentelli
    fvincentelli Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    At 6" (183cm) You coulds be lean at 150, 180 or 200 pounds, it depends on your build. But why guess? You can get a good approximation of your body fat percentage in a number of ways. Perhaps the easiest one is to do a Google search for body fat calculator. There are pleny of sites that (for free) will let you enter 3 or 4 body measurements (usually height, neck, chest and waist, some add one more body part) and, though they are just guesses, they are good guesses based on a lot of statistical information. You may also want to consider a smart bathroom scale - there are many that will estimate your body fat % (they usually cost about US$ 30-40) and, while not perfect, they'll get you within 10% of what you really have.

Each person is unique and every individual will change over his/her lifetime due to different levels of fitness. I am shooting for 190 lbs; I expect to be at about 10-12% body fat by then, and that is a pretty good place to be for a person of my age and activity level.
  • danielnoble
    Options
    Ray, Im at 185cm and 92kg, and my scales say Im at 18% bf,

I am still losing the cms around the gut but putting on the weight. so I say about 90kg is where I'll end up. Guess it all depends on your build.
  • mattack
    mattack Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    For sure this depends on your lean muscle mass. When I completed p90x befor my son was born I was 6' even and 182lbs but only 15% bf. couldn't see abs or anything like that but I looked good and people told me so. 3 years later I'm back at it and down to 190 but 22% bf and know that 8lbs isn't going to get me back without adding more muscle and losing fat. Look for feed the muscle burn the fat.pdf. Probably the greatest diet and exercise manual ever written