How far do you push your body?

Options
I worked hard this weekend exercising and today I am super sore. I normally workout about 6 days a week and today is not an "off" day for me. However, when I tried to roll out of bed this morning, every muscle in my body screamed.

So I'm wondering just how far I should push my body? I know we need rest days in between, so how do I determine when I should have a rest day? Should I try some light walking to work out the kinks in my body and see if I can't work the soreness out?

What do you do for your sore body?

Replies

• annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    I worked hard this weekend exercising and today I am super sore. I normally workout about 6 days a week and today is not an "off" day for me. However, when I tried to roll out of bed this morning, every muscle in my body screamed.

So I'm wondering just how far I should push my body? I know we need rest days in between, so how do I determine when I should have a rest day? Should I try some light walking to work out the kinks in my body and see if I can't work the soreness out?

What do you do for your sore body?
  • mfinney
    mfinney Posts: 314
    Options
    unfortunately, there's usually no specific guaranteed formula, but one rule is ALWAYS LISTEN TO YOUR BODY!! it doesn't lie. if you are so sore that normal movements like getting out of bed, walking, sitting, etc are notably painful, then i'd say a day of rest is required. you don't have to be completely imobile, but take it easy. stretch and maybe do some walking, but i wouldn't push yourself into any hard exercise. sounds like your muscles need some recuperation time and you want to get back quicker rather than push yourself harder while you're sore and risk real injury.

take a break today!
  • mfinney
    mfinney Posts: 314
    Options
    on a side note: a pool or getting in the water is great for stretching and working out soreness
  • heygirl1954
    heygirl1954 Posts: 92
    Options
    I read that if you walk 2.5 mph for 20 minutes you will work out the soreness.. I have tried this and I always feel better way before the 20. If I am really sore I slow my pace down from normal and maybe not go as long, let your body tell you..
  • dricotta1
    dricotta1 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    We build muscle by tearing apart the fibers and then our bodies rebuild between the strands. So we require rest time to allow that rebuilding to happen. Rest every 2 or 3 days. If normal activity is that painful then you worked too hard and need to do some stretching and slow walking. Be nice to yourself and eat protein to give your body the tools to build with. Good luck! Diane
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the reply. I guess this evening I'll go on a slow walk to work out some of this soreness. It's hard to sit in my chair and work today lol, I have to keep getting up to stretch.

The protien is a really good idea. I usually only drink a protien shake after my workout...never thought about doing it on an off day to help re-cup my muscles.

Thanks all for the advice! I really appreciate it!