what should i do when im just so so hungry?

Options
124»

Replies

• Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Also, BMR is based on you not being active at all - even a sedentary person needs to multiply it by 1.2 to get their TDEE? No? So BMR is based on zero exercise, not even typing, for instance.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I'm just going by every other thing I've read on here. Usually most people are very "don't eat under your BMR" - yours is the first time I've ever seen anyone recommend it. No need to get nasty, swearing in stars is still swearing, dear.

Sorry for snapping.
    MFP is a little misleading, but if you look at My Home, Goals it will tell you your normal calories burned each day (BMR) and then your goal (which you can set yourself or let it do it for you). Then it will compare the two and show your daily deficit. You don't want to eat at your BMR until you are AT the weight you want to be. (I don't use MFP for a BMR on the tools menu because it seems to be a bit off compared to others you can find.)
  • jsapninz
    Options
    Also, BMR is based on you not being active at all - even a sedentary person needs to multiply it by 1.2 to get their TDEE? No? So BMR is based on zero exercise, not even typing, for instance.

What is TDEE?

I don't know if typing really counts as exercise :)
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    A big bowl of spinach with minimal dressing and/or just some seasoning will fill you up and is very nutritious
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    eat
  • Smuterella
    Options
    MFP quoted

"Your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) is an estimate of how many calories you'd burn if you were to do nothing but rest for 24 hours. It represents the minimum amount of energy needed to keep your body functioning, including breathing and keeping your heart beating.
    Your BMR does not include the calories you burn from normal daily activities or exercise.
    Our calculator uses the Mifflin-St. Jeor equations to estimate your BMR which is believed to be more accurate than the more commonly used Harris-Benedict equation. "

Mine is 1296

You then need to multiply this by your activity level to read your TDEE. Mine is 1.2 - I have an office job and prefer to add my exercise seperately so

1296 x 1.2 = 1555

to lose half a pound a week i need to take 250 from that so my MFP goal is around 1300.

"
  • plantboy2
    plantboy2 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Whao, let's not fight, let's help the lady with nice advice :)

I find protein really works for me - even though it is broken down by the body very quickly it does trick your body into thinking it isn't hungry for longer than Carbs, which have a slower release of energy. A small protein shake carries relatively few calories, helps your muscle repair after exercise and keeps you feeling full.

And chewing gum might help too.
  • vickylmoore
    Options
    Eat more pure protein (egg whites are amazing). Protein burns a portion of it's calories during the digestion process. The rest diminish the hunger you feel since it takes longer for your body to process the food. Look at the Dukan diet, it is working for me.

Hope this helps.
  • FluttershySweetie
    FluttershySweetie Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    well we cant see ur diary but you definately have to eat at least 1200 calories plus eat back whatever u exercise... also if you eat good calories instead of empty calories youll feel much fuller!! High protein, High fibre! you need calories that fill u up so take a slice of bread... 110 calories for white... well about 5 mins later ur hungry.... empty calories did not give you any bulk... take multi grain or stone ground or ancian grain full of fibre and some protein... lasts much longer and yeah over 200 cals but you get nutrition and the feeling of being satisfied instead of hungry... thus less chance of u binge eating more empty calories or junk food... (just an example...)
  • Smuterella
    Options
    Whao, let's not fight, let's help the lady with nice advice :)

I am trying to give her the correct advice as I feel the other party may have misunderstood BMR. I am not willing to argue this anymore however as I was just trying to help and got PM'd aggressively.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/512956-tdee-what-is-it-and-why-you-should-not-eat-below-your-bmr
  • jsapninz
    Options
    MFP quoted

"Your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) is an estimate of how many calories you'd burn if you were to do nothing but rest for 24 hours. It represents the minimum amount of energy needed to keep your body functioning, including breathing and keeping your heart beating.
    Your BMR does not include the calories you burn from normal daily activities or exercise.
    Our calculator uses the Mifflin-St. Jeor equations to estimate your BMR which is believed to be more accurate than the more commonly used Harris-Benedict equation. "

Mine is 1296

You then need to multiply this by your activity level to read your TDEE. Mine is 1.2 - I have an office job and prefer to add my exercise seperately so

1296 x 1.2 = 1555

to lose half a pound a week i need to take 250 from that so my MFP goal is around 1300.

"

Interesting! I stand corrected my dear. That 1.2*BMR must be the "goal" figure I was talking about. Hmmmm. Well then you should be eating 80% of THAT number. :D
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options

You should be shooting for 80% of your CURRENT BMR. That may be less than 1200....but also probably not.

Where on earth did you get this from? You should not eat under your BMR, unless you are trying to lose weight whilst being unable to move AT ALL. Your BMR is the minimum you need to function healthily.

That is incorrect. According to wikipedia: "Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR), and the closely related resting metabolic rate (RMR), is the amount of daily energy expended by humans and other animals at rest." In other words, the number of calories you should eat (without exercising) if you want to stay EXACTLY the same (at your current weight). You eat under that rate to create a caloric defecit so that you lose weight. Don't be saying stupid **** like that without doing your research.
    ROFL
  • Smuterella
    Options
    Interesting! I stand corrected my dear. That 1.2*BMR must be the "goal" figure I was talking about. Hmmmm. Well then you should be eating 80% of THAT number. :D

Truce? :-)
  • turkeytrotter
    turkeytrotter Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I would second that 1200 is low if you are exercising. Since you said you are just starting though, you might be going through a period where your body is just getting used to the smaller portions. When I reduced what I was eating the first time I was STARVING for the first 3 weeks and just thought about food all the time. This was on 1600 calories a day. Lord knows what I was eating before! My body finally got used to the 1600 and the hunger pangs went away. I now eat around 1400 cals a day if no exercise that day and a several 100 more if I do and I'm gradually losing my last 10 pounds (down 30) at a rate of about 1/2 pound a week.

So two points here: 1. increase your calories a bit and 2. if it's portion control you might just need to live though it for a few weeks but it WILL go away.
  • ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Wow the response to this question has been huge and slightly overwhelming and i feel a little guilty as it has gone above and beyond what i needed, but its digressed slightly and really interesting.

I want to lose 20kgs at least
    i have put myself at 1200 calories goal per day, (is this ok or should i be on less if i want to loose such a big amount? Its what a friend of mine lost 20kgs doing))

im generally not a big eater (im guessing that its just lack of exercise and having a child thats got me this size because my diets not to bad) so sticking to the 1200 calories for the firrst few day was easy, and i dont think overall ill have a problem with it,
    just some days i get hungry days, happens like once every 10 days to a fortnigh (or sometimes if i require extra brain power, im a student so lots of big assaignments and essays and homework) t and i just didnt know before that it was ok to eat back some of my excersize calories

on the mfp calculator my BMR is 1700, if that makes any difference.
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    well you shouldn't be UNDER 1200 calories and if you're exercising you need MORE than 1200 calories; hence the "starving."

^^^^^^^^^
  • rockstarginaa
    rockstarginaa Posts: 1,529 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry, eat!
  • Smuterella
    Options
    The minimum you should be eating is the 1700, any less than that and you risk making yourself ill. 1200 is not enough.