Lies about weight loss...

Options

Replies

• _Cheyanne_
    _Cheyanne_ Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    i just finished reading an article today that literally answers all your questions!

http://body-improvements.com/resources/eat/

it's a bit lengthy, but very much worth reading as it will guide you in the long run.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Eat more and sleep well.
    Create a deficit using mild cardio and lifting weights 3 times a week.

Most women 5'2" and working out 3 times a week with 25-30% body fat can eat upwards of 1900 calories daily and lose fat.

Check my profile for information on how to obtain your proper numbers.

Hugs!
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Eat more and sleep well.

Most women 5'2" and working out 3 times a week with 25-30% body fat can eat upwards of 1900 calories daily and lose fat.

Hugs!
    Add cardio only when needed.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Calories in vs calories out.
    If x person has a TDEE of 2000 calories and they eat only 1500, or they eat 2000 and burn 500 in exercise, then they are going to lose a half pound.
  • sweet110
    sweet110 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Well, some people may be using MFP for their own purposes. For example, I don't log my exercise. I dont' find it useful So if you were looking at my food diary, you might be like...how the heck? Or, sometimes I only put things in my food diary that I'm keeping track of. I'm more of an intuitive eater than a calorie counter. So its not accurate by the default understanding of the food diary, but its accurate for my purposes.

And sometimes, I do or don't update my ticker, for my own reasons.

So...I guess the moral is...you need to use MFP in a way that is useful for you. Stop looking at other people, because you don't really know the ins and outs of what is or isn't working for them.

So instead of secretly looking around corners and trying to read the MFP tea leaves, why don't you just ask? "Hi MFP'er. You seem to be having success. What are you doing?"
  • _Kitten_Kate
    _Kitten_Kate Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I get this is a place for support. But I would prefer that the support be from a place of health and logic, and sencereity...not just plastic BS comments.

Who was this directed at? It would be nice if you clarified who these responses were for. It's a little confusing otherwise.

No specific direction... just general statement.

Oh ok. I was a little confused. Thanks.

I do wish you all the best and hope my comment doesn't come off a harsh, but it's the truth, a truth that took me months to realize.

No you were fine. I appreciate the feedback.

I am just frustrated.

At the rate I am going...it will take me 2 years to lose what I need to lose.
    That is just tooo long.!!!!!
    Too long for whom? I took me two years to drop from 315 to 185. According to weight loss scams and the biggest losers that far too long. However, here is the kicker. I did it the right way. Slow and steady.

The number 1 problem is putting a timeline on weight loss. It's doesn't work like that.

People expecting to drop weight that they accumulated over a matter of years and or decades, in a matter of months. Absurd.

Well, that's almost 6lbs a month.. more than a lb a week. And pretty good loss.

I lose less than a lb a month... need to lose 80-90. And yeah... i don't have patience...
  • _Kitten_Kate
    Options
    Eat more and sleep well.

Hugs!

I am 5'10 !!!

I have my "proper" #s ...And have 48% body fat... and am eating 1600-2000 a day. Been doing all that you have suggested.

What else ya got?
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Well, that's almost 6lbs a month.. more than a lb a week. And pretty good loss.

I lose less than a lb a month... need to lose 80-90. And yeah... i don't have patience...

Yeah, you're gonna have to get some patience to get to your goals for sure. I'd also suggest setting some non-scale goals. Something fitness or nutrition related would be best. Something you can work towards that doesn't involve the scale...
  • _Kitten_Kate
    Options
    i just finished reading an article today that literally answers all your questions!

http://body-improvements.com/resources/eat/

it's a bit lengthy, but very much worth reading as it will guide you in the long run.

thanks.
  • ShellyShuey
    ShellyShuey Posts: 162
    Options
    I have found questioning others weight loss is not a good thing for me to do because I start comparing myself to others. This puts you on a roller coaster of doubt and frustration. I only have to be better than myself. Also, it is not ultimately about the end result, but about the journey. I want to not only lose the weight, but create a lifestyle of better health- not temporary, but for all my years given on earth. Focus on listening to your body and what you need to do to lose the weight. Don't worry about the rest- it is just small potatoes.

This.
  • _Kitten_Kate
    Options
    If x person has a TDEE of 2000 calories and they eat only 1500, or they eat 2000 and burn 500 in exercise, then they are going to lose a half pound.

my TDEE is about 2800-3100... I eat between 1600-2100... And exercise 200-600 . By that logic... I should be losing more than a pound. But I am not.

???
  • RachelsReboot
    RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    If it is simply calories in/calories out, then I need to be studied for science, because I'm defying physics or thermodynamics or something with my major plateau!
    Your body wants to be fat period.

It's not natural to be in a lean state. At the end of the day it is all about calories in vs calories out. The problem is that people take it to the extreme. They do a lot of calorie out but not enough calorie in. The more you burn the more you got to eat.

IT'S THAT SIMPLE.

Can I ask what your degree is in and where its from? I see make this statement all the time as if you are an authority on the human body and its simply not true. There are many conditions that can change this. Take some time, do some research, you might learn something.
  • tsiana6
    tsiana6 Posts: 1
    Options
    I think that it is different for each one of us, but for me, it has being super simple. I eat whatever kind of food I want, but limit my portions and therefore my calories. I can't hardly believe how much weight I've lost! It's all about what you put in your mouth and burn with your body.
  • _Kitten_Kate
    Options
    Eat more and sleep well.

Hugs!
    Add cardio only when needed.
    And when is it needed?
    I was of the understanding that cardio was to exercise your HEART.... just as lifting wts exercises your skeletal muscles. I want a strong heart. I don't want to be outta breath walking up a steep hill....

So, what is your idea of when it's needed?
  • RachelsReboot
    Options

my TDEE is about 2800-3100... I eat between 1600-2100... And exercise 200-600 . By that logic... I should be losing more than a pound. But I am not.

???

Because its not that simple but getting some of these geniuses around here to take into account and of the hundreds of medical conditions and anomilies that might have an effect on that theory is impossible.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options

???

Because its not that simple but getting some of these geniuses around here to take into account and of the hundreds of medical conditions and anomilies that might have an effect on that theory is impossible.

Hate to crack it to you but thermodynamics is universal. The only thing that changes with a medical condition is the "calories out" side of the equation.

Honestly, I don't think the OP has a medical conition inhibiting her weight loss (at least from what she's posted sofar), just some frustration about the process as a whole.

Oh, and the "genius" that you keep callin out has lost over 120 lbs. He might know a little something about this.
  • Showgirlbody
    Showgirlbody Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I can understand your frustration. I'm at the stage where it takes me about 3 or 4 weeks to see the scale nudge one pound. I understand why logically, but emotionally/mentally it is hard to stay motivated.

It is hard to be motivated when there is no loss for so long, but keep at it! It will happen if you are being honest and not under-estimating your consumed calories in or over- estimating your exercise calories out. Losing slowly is better than not losing at all, right? Try to celebrate the little victories, or the non-scale victories, or just ignore the scale altogether for awhile!

I am in the same boat. I lose a couple lbs and then stay at the same number for several weeks. Sometimes the same exact number down to ounces. It is very frustrating. I want to see tangible evidence of my work. It's taken me 7 months to lose what some can lose in 2. I am trying to see that clothes fit better, I have more endurance. I have lost an inch or two but not as many as I would hope. I just recently upped my calories because I have a very active job and workout 5 days a week and was only given 1200. I'm hoping the up will be a push, or I will cycle between low and high. There are a lot of variables and the math is there, but it doesn't always add up for all of us. MFP has been telling me if everyday was like today I'd be the number 9 lbs lighter in 5 weeks for several weeks and I haven't reached that number yet!
  • RachelsReboot
    Options

???

Hate to crack it to you but thermodynamics is universal. The only thing that changes with a medical condition is the "calories out" side of the equation.

Honestly, I don't think the OP has a medical conition inhibiting her weight loss (at least from what she's posted sofar), just some frustration about the process as a whole.

Oh, and the "genius" that you keep callin out has lost over 120 lbs. He might know a little something about this.

Really, I have doctors that say different. I'fe lost more than that myself, doesn't make me an authority. I do have a disorder that prohibits my body from metabolizing carbohydrates, so no calories in and calories out, isn't across the board.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    If it is simply calories in/calories out, then I need to be studied for science, because I'm defying physics or thermodynamics or something with my major plateau!
    Your body wants to be fat period.

It's not natural to be in a lean state. At the end of the day it is all about calories in vs calories out. The problem is that people take it to the extreme. They do a lot of calorie out but not enough calorie in. The more you burn the more you got to eat.

IT'S THAT SIMPLE.

Can I ask what your degree is in and where its from? I see make this statement all the time as if you are an authority on the human body and its simply not true. There are many conditions that can change this. Take some time, do some research, you might learn something.
    I have a degree in Network Security and I still stand by most statement. Better yet, prove me wrong. Oh, and I am talking about the general population.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options

???

Really, I have doctors that say different. I'fe lost more than that myself, doesn't make me an authority. I do have a disorder that prohibits my body from metabolizing carbohydrates, so no calories in and calories out, isn't across the board.

You're not a majority nor are you in the norm then. To say that the rule doesn't apply is to discount the entire premise of this site and every other weight loss plan on the planet. They all operate the same way: eat less than you burn. You can't metabolize carbs = you burn less means less calories out means you have to lower your intake to compensate. Still calories in vs. calories out.