Making Your OWN Greek Yogurt

Options
LPCoder
LPCoder Posts: 404 Member
Buy a nice Plain yogurt. Line a colander with moistened coffee filters and dump in the yogurt. Wait 20 minutes and check on it. Most of the whey should be drained out and you are left with Greek Yogurt. The whey part can be saved to add to your protein shakes if you like! There is no need to pay twice the price for the creamy, high protein goodness of greek!

Replies

• mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    OMG! You are brilliant! Thanks so much!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    So how do you then know the nutritional information of your homemade Greek yogurt? Would it be as high in protein as Greek yogurt or just the same texture?
  • quererespoder
    quererespoder Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    i've been looking for something like this forever. thanks! will this work with all natural homemade yogurt made from scratch? and if its has fruit in it?
  • LPCoder
    Options
    So how do you then know the nutritional information of your homemade Greek yogurt? Would it be as high in protein as Greek yogurt or just the same texture?

I use the nutritional information for the greek yogurt of the brand of regular yogurt that I buy. For Example: I buy Stoneyfield regular yogurt, so I will use the nutritional information for Stonyfield greek yogurt since the process they use is the same. they just drain the whey!
  • LPCoder
    Options
    i've been looking for something like this forever. thanks! will this work with all natural homemade yogurt made from scratch? and if its has fruit in it?

Yes to the first part. I just made my own yogurt from scratch and then drained the whey to make it Greek. I am not sure about the fruit though. I have never done it with fruit. I add my own fruit to yogurt so I can control the sugar. I like to sweeten with stevia, fresh fruit and kashi