Interesting...

Options
On the days when I work out, my appetite seems "normal" but I usually feel so full by the end that I can't eat most of my exercise calories. On the days when I don't exercise, I usually feel WAY hungrier esp in the evenings after coming home from work. I usually kind of binge and end up going significantly over my calories. Does anyone else experience this?

Replies

• kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Experiencing it right now. I was starving until I did 30 Day Shred and now that I have MORE calories I need to eat, I don't want to eat anything!
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    hmmmm thats weird, sorry I have no clue!
  • chuckles217
    chuckles217 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Workout = Cortisol + Glucagon + Insulin

Corisol + Glucagon = increase glycogen breakdown in muscles and liver (liver supplies whole body) + increased gluconeogenesis (the making of new glucose) = elevation of blood glucose.

Insulin drives said glucose into muscles.

A workout is just like eating a meal, but you're using your stored energy versus adding outside food.

Cortisol also suppresses appetite.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    It's okay to eat your exercise calories from one day the next day. Since you recognize this is consistent, just plan on eating some of them the next day. It still keeps your weekly deficit constant and you don't have to be so hungry (or feel like you binged the next day, as long as you aren't going over both days' calories you haven't binged at all).
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Just carry those unused calories from your exercise days over to the days you don't exercise. As long as you meet your calories for the week you should be fine. Just be aware of what you eat.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Yep, on my work out day I have a hard time making it to 1200 cal, (I,m at 1550 for maintenance)

The next day I'm starving and usually eat the difference plus maybe half of my exercise calories.
    I've got this odd 3-day rollover rule in my head. I figure it all evens out in the end.
  • a5sk1ck
    a5sk1ck Posts: 21
    Options
    A body that is used to exercising burns a lot of sugar in the system, specially after the exercise is over when the body is recovering. The body is probably producing a lot of insulin to support sugar store levels in the body by gathering enough sugar to store for a later need like exercise. When you stop exercising, the insulin production requirements may have formed a habit of constantly producing that increased level of insulin which is more than a body at rest needs and goes to work trying to store up available sugar. When it can't find any more sugar in your blood stream, it signals the brain to produce hormones that make you feel hungry to get you to eat so it can get more sugar to store. This might explain why on a non-exercise day you will feel the urge to fill a bottomless pit. What you can do is to eat more often in small amounts just to keep the sugar levels in your body constant.
  • ucaminax
    ucaminax Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of the interesting replies. I think I will just look at my calories more over a 3 day or week-long pattern, as some of you suggested. I also did a quick search on Google, and found this article, which may explain some of it. Apparently aerobic exercise suppresses ghrelin and stimulates peptide YY, which stimulate and suppress appetite, respectively. Although the research states that this is a short-term result, only lasting about an hour or two, and I seem to notice it for the rest of the day.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/12/081211081446.htm
  • Gogobecky
    Gogobecky Posts: 18
    Options
    I agreed...I too find that I'm not as hungry on my heavy exercise days, but the next day just eat it up! I also look at the long time goal of the whole week rather than one day. I've also found that if I DON'T work out I get grumpy...so my family tends to send me to the gym more often ;) I always try to drink a bottle of water before my workout (about 20-30 mins before) to make sure I'm well hydrated....as well as drinking during the workout. You are doing great Elliptical buddy! ;)
  • MelanieAG05
    MelanieAG05 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    This happens to me as well........I get hungrier the following day as I exercise mostly in the evenings.
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I am totally the same way.... always hungrier on days when I don't exercise. Guess I need to start exercising EVERY DAY!!!! haha!!
  • Caitlinhappymeal
    Caitlinhappymeal Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    hiya, its because on exercise days you are not eating all your cals and replenishing the needs of your body, therefore the next day your body is crying out for what it should of had xx
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Just carry those unused calories from your exercise days over to the days you don't exercise. As long as you meet your calories for the week you should be fine. Just be aware of what you eat.

Completely agree!