Stronglifts or Starting Strength

Options
I'm currently one workout away from completing stage 1 of NROL4W, however I'm not sure I want to continue with stage 2. Reason being, there is movement away from the big lifts and into more obscure exercises, and I am really enjoying the two big lifts I am doing (squat and deadlift).

I am considering Starting Strength or Stronglifts, as I want to continue regular squats and deadlifts, but also because I want to start benching, presses etc.

1) Which program would you recommend of the two?

2) I finish my current routine on friday, so I'd like to start a new one on Monday. Stronglifts is more accessible as I understand I'd have to order Starting Strength online, and being in Canada, that would be a two week wait.

3) Starting Strength has a kindle edition. Are there diagrams and charts in this book that would make the kindle edition useless?

Thanks!

Replies

• AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I'm currently one workout away from completing stage 1 of NROL4W, however I'm not sure I want to continue with stage 2. Reason being, there is movement away from the big lifts and into more obscure exercises, and I am really enjoying the two big lifts I am doing (squat and deadlift).

I am considering Starting Strength or Stronglifts, as I want to continue regular squats and deadlifts, but also because I want to start benching, presses etc.

2) I finish my current routine on friday, so I'd like to start a new one on Monday. Stronglifts is more accessible as I understand I'd have to order Starting Strength online, and being in Canada, that would be a two week wait.

3) Starting Strength has a kindle edition. Are there diagrams and charts in this book that would make the kindle edition useless?

Thanks!
    Starting Strength. You should be able to download any spreadsheets from the web.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

Thanks!
    Starting Strength. You should be able to download any spreadsheets from the web.

Hip hip huzzah!

The SL5x5 program does have an iPhone app too but both programs preach the big 5.
    Squats
    Deads
    Presses (bench/military)
    Rows
    Pulls (chin ups and Pull ups)

Good luck and please for the love of god eat the proper amount of calories and get 6-9 hours sleep daily.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options

Thanks!

What is your reason for recommending SS? I'm just curious what peoples' thoughts are about the two programs.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Regardless of which one you pick, the Starting Strength book and DVD are well worth owning just for the extensive descriptions and discussion of form. The chapter just on The Squat alone is something like 58 pages. I guess that sort of thing either really, really appeals to a person or would be a major turnoff. For me, it was really appealing.

SS and SL are very, very similar. SS has the power clean whereas SL has the row. And SS is 5x3 whereas SL is 5x5.

You are pretty much guaranteed to make tremendous strength gains doing either one.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Both programs are reasonably the same.

Download both and compare.

I like SL5x5 but looking at SS they both preach the compounds over accessory lifts.
  • badgerbadger1
    Options
    I'm all about the compound lifts. Why complicate things when you can "keep it simple stupid" and get the same results. That's why I'm interested in these programs.

Also, I enjoy looking like a badass in the man cave portion of the gym.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I'm all about the compound lifts. Why complicate things when you can "keep it simple stupid" and get the same results. That's why I'm interested in these programs.

Also, I enjoy looking like a badass in the man cave portion of the gym.

Me too! :smile:
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    If your power clean form is good to go, Starting Strength is an expert backed program created by one of the leading strength coaches in the US. Stronglifts was created by a gym rat, but endorsed by the creator of Starting Strength as a viable beginners program due to the lack of Power Cleans.

All that being said, I'd start off with Stronglifts and progress towards Starting Strength once you get your power clean form down.
  • Taylerr88
    Taylerr88 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Starting strength lacks to many imprtant muscle groups . You'll come off it with no rear delts, lats, upper back. It's a great program bit it needs small modifications.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Starting strength lacks to many imprtant muscle groups . You'll come off it with no rear delts, lats, upper back. It's a great program bit it needs small modifications.

She could add chin ups to the mix.
  • badgerbadger1
    Options

She could add chin ups to the mix.

Learning chin ups/pullups (can't do them yet) take care of all of the supposed deficits he's referring to?
  • badgerbadger1
    Options
    If your power clean form is good to go, Starting Strength is an expert backed program created by one of the leading strength coaches in the US. Stronglifts was created by a gym rat, but endorsed by the creator of Starting Strength as a viable beginners program due to the lack of Power Cleans.

All that being said, I'd start off with Stronglifts and progress towards Starting Strength once you get your power clean form down.

Don't know how to power clean yet, just squats and deads.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

Don't know how to power clean yet, just squats and deads.
    I personally am doing SL 5x5 and I love the simplicity. With that said, SS (as Taso said) has great information on form.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength is an expert backed program created by one of the leading strength coaches in the US

LOL.

Has Rippetoe coached anyone of note?

SS is an OK book, but it's not all it's cracked up to be. His DL and bench cues are decent, the squat form he advocates is questionable, and his power-clean technique is horrendous.

Both SS and Stronglifts are basically ripoffs or Bill Starr's programs.

OP: If you feel confident about your squat and deadlift form, just pick any 5x5 program and run with it (they're all pretty similar). If you're interested in learning to power-clean, there's no substitute for good coaching. But, barring that, you'd be better off with Pendlay's technique vids.

http://www.californiastrength.com/videos/viewcategory/14/clean
  • thefuzz1290
    Options
    Starting Strength is an expert backed program created by one of the leading strength coaches in the US

LOL.

Has Rippetoe coached anyone of note?

SS is an OK book, but it's not all it's cracked up to be. His DL and bench cues are decent, the squat form he advocates is questionable, and his power-clean technique is horrendous.

Both SS and Stronglifts are basically ripoffs or Bill Starr's programs.

OP: If you feel confident about your squat and deadlift form, just pick any 5x5 program and run with it (they're all pretty similar). If you're interested in learning to power-clean, there's no substitute for good coaching. But, barring that, you'd be better off with Pendlay's technique vids.

http://www.californiastrength.com/videos/viewcategory/14/clean

There's always one....most strength coaches today point to Starting Strength as the "bible" of strength training. Rippitoe is also one of the few peer reviewed publishers of strength training articles, so I'm going to trust him and his program. Is it a rip off of someone else? Probably, as are most things in fitness. However, its proven to work. That being said, there's nothing wrong will Bill Starr's 5x5 or Madcow's 5x5 either, if you're more comfortable with those.

She's not body building, she's strength training...there's a big difference. You don't do SS, or any 5x5 program for that matter, if you want to bodybuild. She's also probably not set on getting "big lats" (just guessing there, you never know...she might want to roid up and compete in body building lol), so the deadlifts and power cleans in SS should be enough back work. If back work is a concern, just do Stronglifts which uses rows.

EDIT: I want to add that you should not alter any program unless you're experienced at lifting and know how your body will respond to the amount of work you're going to be putting it through. The programs listed have either been created by, or endorsed by, strength training professionals who have forgotten more about strength training than we'll ever know.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Thanks!

Good luck and please for the love of god eat the proper amount of calories and get 6-9 hours sleep daily.
    I was going to mention this.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    There's always one....most strength coaches today point to Starting Strength as the "bible" of strength training.

Name one high level strength coach who has said this. I'm not talking about internet-gurus, but people that actually coach high-level competitive athletes.

From Coach Don McCauley:
    ". NOBODY, THAT'S NOBODY should be doing low bar squats except powerlifters(because it is the form best used in the competitive squatting done in that sport). And, even they should only do them part of the year.

The high bar or Olympic squat, done to full range of motion and through the correct parts of the feet affects the functional, athletic strength far more than any other squat and is completely safe for the knees.

Doing low bar, parallel or 1/4 squats is a waste of prescious training time and will either hurt your body or give it no significantly new ability to produce force, unless you have been doing absolutely nothing.

CoachMc "
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    . NOBODY, THAT'S NOBODY should be doing low bar squats except powerlifters(because it is the form best used in the competitive squatting done in that sport). And, even they should only do them part of the year.

Damnit, now my mind is blown. JUST when I have more or less gotten used to the low bar position and have accepted it as my personal savior. Oh well, it does seem to feel much better to me than high bar did, so I'm going to continue like this for a while.... at least until I'm much much stronger. Or, I can just fancy myself a hobby powerlifter who doesn't compete.
  • thefuzz1290
    Options
    I wasn't talking about his form, but the program itself. You can make arguments on the which squat is better, high bar vs. low bar, which I perfer high bar. However, this isn't the thread to argue form...and the mods have been locking a bunch of threads lately that get off topic.

To OP: Do your own research, and complete the program you feel most comfortable doing.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I did Stage 1 of New Rules and loved it. I also didn't like the weird stuff going on in Stage 2 so I never moved to it. I just started Strong Lifts 3 weeks ago and really like it. I think the deads and the rows do a great job of hitting my back muscles. That's where I've noticed the most improvement actually. I didn't think it was missing anything and have read several opinions saying not to modify it.