I'm having trouble with the sugar in fruits.

Options
ToniAnn45
ToniAnn45 Posts: 78 Member
I love fruit, therefore I eat at 2-3 per day. That seems to go along with 5-7 friuts & veggies that the Food Pyramid suggests. But I'm constantly going over my allotted sugar grams. Does anyone else have trouble with this & what can I do about it?

Replies

• ToniAnn45
    Options
    I love fruit, therefore I eat at 2-3 per day. That seems to go along with 5-7 friuts & veggies that the Food Pyramid suggests. But I'm constantly going over my allotted sugar grams. Does anyone else have trouble with this & what can I do about it?
  • kpnuts23
    kpnuts23 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    All day everyday...
    i limit myself to 2 peices of fruit a day and just load up on more veg... No matter what people say about it being "good sugar" its sugar at the end of the day and its gonna hinder my weight loss if i continue to go over... but then its not always the same for other people.... Whooo knows really...!? :indifferent:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    if you spread out your fruit throughout the day, and don't go over by much (a few grams won't hurt ya) then you should be fine. Fructose (fruit sugar) IS sugar, but it's not processed by the body as quickly as regular table sugar is, and because fruit has fiber, some of that sugar is locked up until the body breaks down the fiber, and thus the fruit is digested over an even longer period. NOTE: this is NOT true for fruit juice.

So as long as you aren't eating large amounts of fruit all at once, or going over your sugar by a bunch every day, you shouldn't have a problem.
  • rmccully
    rmccully Posts: 319
    Options
    have have problems with the sugar in fruit and veggies.

I don't drink pop or other sugar drinks, or eat junk food. but I am always over on the sugar that MFP has set.
    ????????????
  • jess42
    jess42 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If you look up sugar and diet, the goal is usually to limit "added sugar," which excludes sugar in things like milk, fruits and veggies, and whole grains. Even for that, the sugar goals MFP sets are pretty low, but not unreasonable.

As long as you're not going overboard--and it sounds like you are not--then I wouldn't worry about it. Fruit has lots of vitamins that you need and it's good for you! (SHBoss is right about fruit juice though, if your main goal is weight loss I'd stay away from that.) What I do is use a calculator to calculate the added sugar and make sure that's at a good level. You'll do much better with your overall health if you do that rather than eliminating healthy foods and substituting lots of chemical sweetners or going to all proteins to stay within MFP's limits=)

Stay healthy!
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    If your sugar is coming from fruits, I don't worry about it. I worry when it's from processed sugar stuff....soda, sugar, sweets
  • ToniAnn45
    Options
    if you spread out your fruit throughout the day, and don't go over by much (a few grams won't hurt ya) then you should be fine. Fructose (fruit sugar) IS sugar, but it's not processed by the body as quickly as regular table sugar is, and because fruit has fiber, some of that sugar is locked up until the body breaks down the fiber, and thus the fruit is digested over an even longer period. NOTE: this is NOT true for fruit juice.

So as long as you aren't eating large amounts of fruit all at once, or going over your sugar by a bunch every day, you shouldn't have a problem.

I was just given the same advice from a co-worker who has been to a nutritionist. She said to spread my fruit throughout the day...morning, afternoon & evening...& watch out for the ADDED sugar in foods.

Thanks.