Question about Exercises

2joe2
2joe2 Posts: 13
edited September 19 in Fitness and Exercise
Can anyone tell me why when I enter strength training exercises, it does not show the calories burned in my food diary? Do you have to create new strength exercises? If so, how can you get the food diary to show the calories burned from strength training exercies? So far, I have been cheating by entering an aerobic exercise that has approximately the same calories burned as the weight traning exercises. Thanks all.

Joe

Replies

• 2joe2
    Can anyone tell me why when I enter strength training exercises, it does not show the calories burned in my food diary? Do you have to create new strength exercises? If so, how can you get the food diary to show the calories burned from strength training exercies? So far, I have been cheating by entering an aerobic exercise that has approximately the same calories burned as the weight traning exercises. Thanks all.

Joe
  • I also have the same issue. I teach a strength training class that's one hour in duration and I wear a HRM that tells me I've burned around 300 cal. What I've been doing is recording my calories burned in the note section of my exercise log, and eating the calories.

Since I've only been a member a couple weeks, I'm not sure if there's a better way, but I'd like to find out, too.

So far I've lost 4 pounds doing it this way, and I do these classes 2x a week.
  • fjtcjt
    fjtcjt Posts: 199
    Under cardiovascular you can add Strength Training and put in your time and it calculates your calories burned. I don't think it is that accurate so if you have a better idea of calories burned then you can manually enter that instead of accepting what they calculate.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    strength training doesn't burn very much and what it does burn varies wildly based on your muscle mass and just how vigorously you're going at it. if you want a very rough estimate you can enter "strength training" under the cardio section. If you want a more accurate version, pick up an HRM and wear it during your workout.
  • THANKS! Do you typically eat all those calories as you would normal cardio calories burned? I'm thinking the answer should be yes, but would like confirmation.

Thank you!! :smile:
  • fjtcjt
    fjtcjt Posts: 199
    THANKS! Do you typically eat all those calories as you would normal cardio calories burned? I'm thinking the answer should be yes, but would like confirmation.

The answer would be yes.

Calories burned during weight training can be as many or more than what you would burn durning a normal cardio session. If you push it and minimize your rest between sets, you can keep your heart rate up during the whole training session. This is what I do, and I have found that I don't need to do near as much cardio as a result!!
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    THANKS! Do you typically eat all those calories as you would normal cardio calories burned? I'm thinking the answer should be yes, but would like confirmation.

Yeah, I eat those too. I think they are especially important in keeping muscles happy.
  • 2joe2
    Thanks all for the replies. I wear a HRM on my lifting days and have used that to estimate the cals burned. The litfing routines are very intense so I know I'm burning lots of cals. I guess I will just enter it manually. Regarding the question Kate had about eating the extra calories burned, I would say absolutely. I'm doing P90x and they factor the calories burned into the daily calories allowed. You need the extra calories, particularly if you're doing any kind of weight traning. Even if you're doing purely aerobic exercise, your performance can suffer if you're not eating the right amount of calories. If your performance suiffers it usually leads to fatigue (which makes a lot of people quit) and injury. I'm sure you've heard the stories of Michael Phelps at the Olympics. He had to eat 12,000 cals per day since he would typically burn 4,000 to 6,000 cals in the pool each day and his metabolism was racing due to his level of activity. Despite eating chocolate pancakes and cheeseburgers, the guy is absolutely ripped. Now, us mortals aren't in the same league but the same principle applies: if you're working out, you need to support your activity with the right level of calories.
This discussion has been closed.