How do you do it??

Options
debnu1
debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
I have been finding that I easily talk myself out of putting in all my cals/exercise because I get sucked in by the internet everytime I get on the computer. I give myself excuses, I guess it is easy to let myself down, as if I am doing something for someone else I can follow through. The question is do you log cals as you go through the day or do you do it at one point during the day. I feel that I am spending way too much time on the computer and really want to actually clean the house :noway: but maybe that is another excuse.

So I guess I need mental help--How do you find your way past the excuses and stick to your guns. I do really well as long as log my cals--its doing it that is sometimes the problem.

Any advice would be wonderful!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• debnu1
    Options
    I have been finding that I easily talk myself out of putting in all my cals/exercise because I get sucked in by the internet everytime I get on the computer. I give myself excuses, I guess it is easy to let myself down, as if I am doing something for someone else I can follow through. The question is do you log cals as you go through the day or do you do it at one point during the day. I feel that I am spending way too much time on the computer and really want to actually clean the house :noway: but maybe that is another excuse.

So I guess I need mental help--How do you find your way past the excuses and stick to your guns. I do really well as long as log my cals--its doing it that is sometimes the problem.

Any advice would be wonderful!:flowerforyou:
  • bareden
    bareden Posts: 19
    Options
    Everytime I put something into my mouth I log in and put it on my list. Otherwise I might overeat. I know it is hard not to get distracted on the internet, but just post your food and then get off. Well, now you will have to keep checking back to see everyones advice for you! LOL! :smile:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I log my food twice each day. I pack my breakfast and lunch to take to work, so the minute I get here, I log everything I have brought with me. This leaves me free to peruse the message boards for the next 6 hours :laugh:

Then when I get home, I see what hubby is making for dinner, then I go log it to see what portion size I can have. this keeps me from going overboard on his really good cooking.

that's it. I do have more challenges on the weekends, since I'm not packing my food in advance, but then I just log after each meal. by now I know pretty much what fits in one day and don't have to do a lot of research before I eat something.
  • hushmonkey1234
    Options
    I have made this my home page. Anytime I go on the internet this is what I see first so that I dont have any excuses not to log what I am eating. I try to make sure to log everything as I eat it as well so that I dont "forget" or have a reason not to put it all in.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    oh another trick- if I'm out, and I eat something that I don't know the calories for, I will look it up on my Crackberry to find out.

AND if I eat something but it will be hours before I am back home, I take a picture of it so I don't forget.
  • mszSHOGAN
    mszSHOGAN Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I log my food twice each day. I pack my breakfast and lunch to take to work, so the minute I get here, I log everything I have brought with me. This leaves me free to peruse the message boards for the next 6 hours :laugh:

Then when I get home, I see what hubby is making for dinner, then I go log it to see what portion size I can have. this keeps me from going overboard on his really good cooking.

that's it. I do have more challenges on the weekends, since I'm not packing my food in advance, but then I just log after each meal. by now I know pretty much what fits in one day and don't have to do a lot of research before I eat something.

I do pretty much the same. I have found that if I wait until after I've eaten for the day I most likely have gone over. So I would suggest logging all your food that you plan to eat first thing in the morning. That way you won't be tied up all day on the internet and you will know if your plan for the day will work. Hope this helps! :wink:
  • bakes5041
    bakes5041 Posts: 2
    Options
    when i wake up i figure out how hungry i am for breakfast and eat what i want then and log it in. breakfast determins what iwill eat the rest of the day. so i will eat lunch and then log it. at that point in the day its time for me to go to work so i bring foods with me that i know will not go over my calories i bring a variety to choose from. when i get home i log it all in. yeah its a lot of time on the net but Im on here a lot anyways so its no big deal for me. i just like to know my exact calories as im taking them in.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    Its the boards/forum that suck you in- If you just come on to log your food real quick you could be off the computer fast.
  • Lowenna1
    Lowenna1 Posts: 22
    Options
    I used to log as I go but have found I get a bit better at judging these days. One rule I do try to stick to though is to log all the days calories before I have my evening meal and then plan the last meal whilst online. That way you can adjust the evening meal to match your calorie and nutrition defecits. I find this usually stops me going over.
    I felt like I was spending ages on the computer at first but you do get quicker at it.

Good luck!
  • debnu1
    Options
    Thanks for all the input, I agree that I get sucked in by the boards, so maybe I will just have to put a timer by the computer and hold myself accountable. :blushing: not an easy thing for me to do. I really like the idea of preplanning meals--especially the whole day--If I did that I could log it in the morning with breakfast and then add any changes at night but I would have to hold myself more accountable. Not a bad thing :laugh: last week I felt all motivation leave and now it is starting to come back. I have a plan in mind now. Thank you for the inspiration...:bigsmile:
  • chameleon77
    chameleon77 Posts: 124
    Options
    I don't have time to log each meal throughout the day. I write what I eat on a piece of paper throughout the day and then at night log it all in. It's probably the most simple way of doing things for me.