Other factors affecting weightloss?

Options

Replies

• StarryEyed500
    StarryEyed500 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    ... I would really only expect a loss of a pound or two a month, maybe three...
    That's kind of my point. I haven't lost anything. I expect to lose at least a pound a month and it's not budging.
    medication is a big factor x
    I'm not on any medication apart from the contraceptive implant.
  • trishiemo
    Options
    All calories are not the same. Even Weightwatchers just changed their program to include the glycemic index. Counting calories in general resulted in a 1-2 pound loss per week for me. So I changed it up. I cut out aspartame and diet sodas (I now drink 0 cal SoBe drinks). I cut out carbohydrates after 3:00, as your body needs to exercise to burn them, if you eat them at night, they are just stored. Eat protein late, which causes your RMR (resting metab. rate) to increase to digest the protein while you sleep.

My complex carbs are pretty much gone from my diet. I eat fresh fruits and veggies, not much bread/pasta (or I use gluten free pasta). I do have cereal or egg/toast in the am. Once I broke the carb cycle, I no longer craved it.

now I am losing at 4 pounds/week on avg (last 3 weeks.)
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I know that weightloss = calories burned - calories consumed but is there anything else that affects how it comes off?
    I have been eating my BMR and not doing loads of exercise so I know I'm not under or over eating. I've been losing the same 1-2lb for a month now and it's getting tedious. Just when I think I'm getting somewhere, the weight goes back up!

I have Implanon so wondered if this could be one of the reasons. I also breastfeed but only once a day. I'm planning a visit to the doctors so wondered if there's anything I should get checked?

Eating BMR is incorrect dieting and can result in 20-50% of losses being lean mass.
    Someday youll have to add that lean mass back.
    That results in you having to eat above TDEE for a period of time and thus....adding back possible fat.

Figure out your TDEE and take 20% off that, youll get a number around 1600-2k daily for calories to eat.
    This is proper dieting and youll only lose fat with little to no lean mass loss.

My TDEE - 20% = my BMR.

Incorrect

How tall are you?
    How much do you weigh?
    How often do you work out?
    Whats your fat%?
    How old are you?

I'll post numbers now....
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I have heard that the implant and the shot can make it nearly impossible to lose weight. So, getting that removed might help a lot.

Have your thyroid checked...but do some research before you do. Some doctors will keep you in the "normal" range...and that could be the high end of normal. I still gain weight and feel sluggish at the high end. I need to be on the low end of the normal range. You might be the same.

I try to follow 35/35/30 Protein, Carbs, Fat ratio in my diet. It might be more like 40/25/35 because I eat coconut oil and that pops up my fat.

I know you said that your body does not respond to man made food, but it looks like it is not responding to what you are doing now. I say add a protein shake, it really will increase your protein...but find a low carb/low sugar protein. I drink mine with milk, but I have done Almond milk and it is great too. Boca burgers (soy burgers) Yummy, and cottage cheese is low in carbs and high in protein.
  • StarryEyed500
    Options
    How tall are you?
    How much do you weigh?
    Whats your fat%?
    How old are you?

I'm 5ft. I weigh 152.8lb (69.3kg) today. I don't 'work out'. I do more than my daily work maybe 2-3 times a week for 30 mins but I do have 2 children to look after. I'm 33. My fat% depends on what calculator you use, but roughly 40-45%

Edit - just thought I'd add, on days I do more than 'normal' I eat more than my BMR.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Helliotsdan.... My BMR is TDEE - 20%... I am sedentary. The activity multiple is 1.25... BMR = 1464 TDEE - 20% = (1830 - 366) = 1464..... SOOOOOOOOO, YES! OP's BMR can = her TDEE-20%
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    ... I would really only expect a loss of a pound or two a month, maybe three...
    That's kind of my point. I haven't lost anything. I expect to lose at least a pound a month and it's not budging.

[/quote]

You didn't read the rest of my post.

Because of normal daily fluctuations, you may not see a loss trend for a couple of months.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I think I would try upping my calories. Eating your BMR means you're eating the bare minimum calories for the day. If you are breastfeeding (even if only once a day) - that alone means you should be eating more than your BMR. I would find out what your TDEE is and deduct a deficit from that. Too many people do a disservice to themselves by severely restricting their calories.
  • cbcw1964
    cbcw1964 Posts: 46
    Options
    Make certain to have your thyroid checked...and note that if it is hypo and you start medication for such it will be difficult to lose weight but I have had success so far and I am hypo...I had my babies later in life and was diagnosed hypo after second pregnancy. Try to get as much exercise as you can and watch what you eat...also watch when you eat...I try to not eat fwo hours prior to bedtime and I take my thyroid meds at night rather than in the morning (so I can take my vitamins in the morning without interferring with my levothyroxin)...good luck!
  • kristinL16
    kristinL16 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    How about exercising more and see what happens?
  • inmyownskin
    Options
    Ok, so I know that weightloss = calories burned - calories consumed but is there anything else that affects how it comes off?
    I have been eating my BMR and not doing loads of exercise so I know I'm not under or over eating. I've been losing the same 1-2lb for a month now and it's getting tedious. Just when I think I'm getting somewhere, the weight goes back up!

I have Implanon so wondered if this could be one of the reasons. I also breastfeed but only once a day. I'm planning a visit to the doctors so wondered if there's anything I should get checked?

Eating BMR is incorrect dieting and can result in 20-50% of losses being lean mass.
    Someday youll have to add that lean mass back.
    That results in you having to eat above TDEE for a period of time and thus....adding back possible fat.

Figure out your TDEE and take 20% off that, youll get a number around 1600-2k daily for calories to eat.
    This is proper dieting and youll only lose fat with little to no lean mass loss.

OK I'm pretty new to this... can I ask what is BMR and TDEE?
  • StarryEyed500
    Options
    OK I'm pretty new to this... can I ask what is BMR and TDEE?
    BMR = Basal Metabolic Rate - the rate at which you burn calories just through being alive.
    TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure - the rate at which you burn calories though your daily activities. This is the amount you need to eat to maintain your weight. Anything less than that should result in a loss.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?
    How much do you weigh?
    Whats your fat%?
    How old are you?

I'm 5ft. I weigh 152.8lb (69.3kg) today. I don't 'work out'. I do more than my daily work maybe 2-3 times a week for 30 mins but I do have 2 children to look after. I'm 33. My fat% depends on what calculator you use, but roughly 40-45%

Edit - just thought I'd add, on days I do more than 'normal' I eat more than my BMR.

TDEE 1719 for light activity. You need to lift weights of some sort while losing weight or youll lose lean mass as well.
    BMR 1250

Lean mass appx 90lbs <---very low for height. Should be closer to 100lbs.

Perfect weight at 5' is about 112lbs

User should eat at least 1400 daily.
    Protein and fat 30% each.

If you work out 3-5 times a week you can eat 1551 daily and still remain 20% below TDEE and only lose fat.
  • StarryEyed500
    Options
    I think I would try upping my calories. Eating your BMR means you're eating the bare minimum calories for the day. If you are breastfeeding (even if only once a day) - that alone means you should be eating more than your BMR. I would find out what your TDEE is and deduct a deficit from that. Too many people do a disservice to themselves by severely restricting their calories.
    If I up my calories, I will lose even less lol My daily expenditure is very low already.
    I would like to but don't really have the time or available food to up my exercise. If I exercise, I will need to eat more which at the moment I can't do without eating chocolate - which is not a good thing to do!
  • StarryEyed500
    Options
    How tall are you?
    How much do you weigh?
    Whats your fat%?
    How old are you?

TDEE 1719 for light activity. You need to lift weights of some sort while losing weight or youll lose lean mass as well.
    BMR 1250

Lean mass appx 90lbs <---very low for height. Should be closer to 100lbs.

Perfect weight at 5' is about 112lbs

User should eat at least 1400 daily.
    Protein and fat 30% each.

If you work out 3-5 times a week you can eat 1551 daily and still remain 20% below TDEE and only lose fat.

I calculated my BMR to be 1350 so I wasn't far off. My macros are set to 50/25/25 (c/p/f). I'm working on lowering my carbs but at the moment I turn into a monster if I eat less than 50.

And yes, I know I'm fat, that's why I'm here. :)
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I'm the camp that says its not just about the numbers. Its about what makes up the numbers. So what you eat and what you do, not just how much is a part of weight loss. Your body needs fuel and it needs to be the right kind of fuel. Your body needs activity and it should be a combination of cardio and strength training. The numbers matter but they aren't the whole storey!
  • thyroid is important, your fasting insulin level, your cells ability to respond to the insulin properly, hormones in terms of the adrenal hormones that help breakdown fats.

women have it a bit harder due to physiological differences(smaller thyroid output, different concentrations of alpha and beta adrenoreceptors on fat cells in stubborn areas).

Blood flow is also a big factor in fat mobilization, along with DIET, which is probably one of the most important factors.

There are few others out there, but majority of them don't make that big of a difference or are negligible.
  • kristinL16
    kristinL16 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    If I up my calories, I will lose even less lol My daily expenditure is very low already.
    I would like to but don't really have the time or available food to up my exercise. If I exercise, I will need to eat more which at the moment I can't do without eating chocolate - which is not a good thing to do!

I don't understand this. Does that mean the only food you have in your house is chocolate?

Even if you don't have two hours a day to go to the gym, try other methods of increasing activity. Take the stairs more often. Park further away from the door at the office or store. Take a 10 minute walk on breaks. Take the kids for a walk or bike ride. Also, you don't have to eat back all of your exercise calories. The extra amount of food/calories could be quite negligible. If you are very sedentary during the day, I would probably be even less inclined to eat those calories back, especially if your increase in activity is just by doing the activities I mentioned earlier. Exercising would give you a greater deficit, even if just by 100 calories a day.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Without any scientific proof, I KNOW some of my medications are messing with my metabolism. I hover around the same weight for weeks, then drop a pound, then do the same over and over. It is SO slow, but I am trying to be patient. I tried the BMR thing, but when I ate my 1520 calories and ate back my exercise calories, I slowly gained weight. It wasn't until I started eating around 1300 calories per day that I finally started to "slowly" lose weight. It will take forever at this pace, but it is what it is.

Good luck in breaking through! :smile:
  • butterflyliz32
    butterflyliz32 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Lots of things can affect weight loss.

-Diabetes or Insulin Resistence
    -Thyriod
    -Medications (Depression meds, especially can cause weight fluctuations)
    -PCOS
    (etc)

Personally, I have all of the above going against me. I am currently working on changing habits and dietary choices to better reflect these conditions in hope that it will help my weight loss start up again.