How to reduce Body fat %

Options

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    This discussion is interesting since I've kind of done this on my own and while I'm happy with how awesome my butt looks now, I really need to focus on other areas

I've lost 10% body fat over the last 10 weeks (over 6 inches overall and about a dress size) without losing a single pound. I do 30-60 min of interval elliptical 4-5 times a week, 25 pound kettlebell swings ~3 times a week (50 swings) and also toning with hand weights. This discussion is interesting since I've kind of done this on my own and while I'm happy with how awesome my butt looks now, I really need to focus on other areas

-5 x a week i do 69 min Cardio elliptical (interval training)
    25 pound kettle bell swings 50 each 3 x week
    Core toning with hand weights 3-4 times a week

I work at a desk job but I have a fit bit and try for at least 10,000 steps a day, 5 miles of distance and at least burn 2300-2500 on cardio days. I don't have the average handy but I'd guess a conservative 2,100 calorie burn per day

My goal is 1400 calories intake and I usually try to eat at least half my additional exercise calories

Just so you're clear... you're not doing what most of us are suggesting. I'm not trying to put a damper on your spirits or your progress (great job, BTW), but 50 reps of anything isn't heavy lifting. And anyone who actually is heavy lift wouldn't call it "toning" and probably isn't using "hand weights".

Heavy lifting, which is what a lot of us are recommending (along with improved diet) is a max of 10 reps, and really struggling to get through the last couple. 50 reps is a cardio exercise.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    This discussion is interesting since I've kind of done this on my own and while I'm happy with how awesome my butt looks now, I really need to focus on other areas

I've lost 10% body fat over the last 10 weeks (over 6 inches overall and about a dress size) without losing a single pound. I do 30-60 min of interval elliptical 4-5 times a week, 25 pound kettlebell swings ~3 times a week (50 swings) and also toning with hand weights. This discussion is interesting since I've kind of done this on my own and while I'm happy with how awesome my butt looks now, I really need to focus on other areas

I work at a desk job but I have a fit bit and try for at least 10,000 steps a day, 5 miles of distance and at least burn 2300-2500 on cardio days. I don't have the average handy but I'd guess a conservative 2,100 calorie burn per day

My goal is 1400 calories intake and I usually try to eat at least half my additional exercise calories

Just so you're clear... you're not doing what most of us are suggesting. I'm not trying to put a damper on your spirits or your progress (great job, BTW), but 50 reps of anything isn't heavy lifting. And anyone who actually is heavy lift wouldn't call it "toning" and probably isn't using "hand weights".

Heavy lifting, which is what a lot of us are recommending (along with improved diet) is a max of 10 reps, and really struggling to get through the last couple. 50 reps is a cardio exercise.

He's right, anything really above the 10-12 rep mark is more for muscle endurance as opposed to increase strength. This can probably be tested by increase the weight and seeing if you can maintain form and reps. It's quite awesome though you have cut a lot of body fat. May I ask how it was measured?
  • mousepaws22
    mousepaws22 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, I'm a complete newbie to exercise- what exactly do you mean by muscle endurance? Just training yyour muscle to do more and being stronger in terms of the amount you can do rather than strength as in the weight that you can lift?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I'm sorry, I'm a complete newbie to exercise- what exactly do you mean by muscle endurance? Just training yyour muscle to do more and being stronger in terms of the amount you can do rather than strength as in the weight that you can lift?

It's the ability to sustain an exercise for an extended period of time. Where strength is the ability to lift heavier (increasing the amount of weight).

Imaging lifting a box, you can hold a 10 lb box for extended periods of time where as a 50 lb box would be more difficult. Strength would allow you to lift a 50 lb box while endurance will allow you to hold that box for longer.
  • mousepaws22
    mousepaws22 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    BUMP...I recently started strength training and just ordered the NROLFW book. I have about 12 pounds to lose to my ultimate goal, but I need to gain lean muscle mass and want to lower BF% so it seems to be a VERY tricky balancing act.
  • HealthyThinFit2012
    Options
    bump
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Found out tonight that my body fat % is 17% which is down 20% since June.:happy:
  • littlemsmuffet
    Options

He's right, anything really above the 10-12 rep mark is more for muscle endurance as opposed to increase strength. This can probably be tested by increase the weight and seeing if you can maintain form and reps. It's quite awesome though you have cut a lot of body fat. May I ask how it was measured?

ok this is really interesting to me - i started trying to lift heavy at the gym (exactly as suggested here) and it worked in the sense that there was some improvement quickly but it didn't last for very long because i was sore for days and i tended to overeat, as i was absolutely ravenous. i recently started going for less weight and more reps and it works a lot better for me - i am not unusually hungry and i can get through 3 sets without any sudden/surprise pain. i am not so sore afterwards that it takes days to recover either. so if i were only trying to keep body fat low, rather than improve strength, wouldn't endurance training be best?
  • watboy
    watboy Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I'm also on a low-fat regimine.
    This has helped me tremendously in reducing bodyfat, lowering cholesterol levels, and losing weight.

I am already on a low fat regimin of 30g or less per day. Does anyone know if this will continue to make my body fat dwindle or do i need to consume even less fat? I am also working out intense cardio 5-7 days/week along with strength training m-w-f.
  • psuLemon
    Options

ok this is really interesting to me - i started trying to lift heavy at the gym (exactly as suggested here) and it worked in the sense that there was some improvement quickly but it didn't last for very long because i was sore for days and i tended to overeat, as i was absolutely ravenous. i recently started going for less weight and more reps and it works a lot better for me - i am not unusually hungry and i can get through 3 sets without any sudden/surprise pain. i am not so sore afterwards that it takes days to recover either. so if i were only trying to keep body fat low, rather than improve strength, wouldn't endurance training be best?

Soreness is good though. It means your muscles are repairing itself. And the more muscle you have, the more body fat your body will break down as your metabolic rate is higher. Ever hear of the expression, that muscle burns fat? Well it does. The question comes down to how good was your diet and where you truly eating enough. Below is a response from one of the women I am working with. She is 36 years old and eats 2100 calories on lifting days, and 1800 calories on non workout days. In 2 months, she cut 4% body fat. She used to train the "old fashion way" where it involved lots of cardio, light weights and low calories. Now she uses high calories, high weights/low reps and is cutting fat like crazy. It also means she added 5 lbs of lean muscle mass.

Generally, if you don't see progress in your weigh training (strength) then there is an underlying issue. Are you training right or eating right or either? I have seen consistent improvements in my weights while doing P90X2 and improved body definition. I eat 2700-3000 calories a day.

If you want to evaluate things, then let me know. I can work with.

"I just wanted to thank you for your help. You helped me a few months back and I just wanted to give you an update on my progress. 12 weeks ago I started at 154 and 28% bf. I got my bf remeasured last Friday and it was 24%. But I only lost 1 pound. It is crazy to me but I have learned to ignore the scale. You were right that keeping consistent and not giving up my body would finally adjust.

Thanks again for your help!

Stephanie"

BTW, muscle endurance is needed. This is why I suggest doing one set of endurance reps during your workout. So if you do sets of 3, then add a forth set for endurance, then you get the best of both worlds.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    This has helped me tremendously in reducing bodyfat, lowering cholesterol levels, and losing weight.

I am already on a low fat regimin of 30g or less per day. Does anyone know if this will continue to make my body fat dwindle or do i need to consume even less fat? I am also working out intense cardio 5-7 days/week along with strength training m-w-f.

And I have done the same thing on a high fat diet. Dietary fat doesn't equate to body fat. And it doesn't necessarily equate to cholesterol.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

And I have done the same thing on a high fat diet. Dietary fat doesn't equate to body fat. And it doesn't necessarily equate to cholesterol.

^ this 1000 times over

Fat is great for you helps digestive system, hair, nails, etc. It is essential, more so then carbs. Please don't eat less then 20% of total calories from fat or you may start to have some issues. It is recommend to get a minimum of 0.35 grams of fat per lb of body weight.

I am in the middle of a cut and am eating 30% of my cals from fat, around 70 grams/day
  • watboy
    Options
    Yes I never said it wouldn't :) I don't count calories either though and that works for me.
    My experience in the past 4 years has taught me that for me eating low-fat content has helpled me tremendously in lowering cholesterol and overall wellness. Combined with weight training and cardio it has done wonders for me. I still have some more work to do but so far so good. I also never suggest going nonfat on everything. Tons of people do that. Our bodies need fat so cutting it all out I don't agree with. But to each their own.

"The most serious risk of high fat diets is heart disease. High-fat diets typically recommend foods high in saturated fats like beef, bacon and dark-meat poultry. According to the American Heart Association, a diet high in saturated fat can dramatically raise your :flowerforyou: cholesterol, increasing your risk of heart disease. The AHA recommends limiting your total fat intake to between 25 to 35 percent of total calories with only 7 percent coming by way of saturated fats."

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/249377-the-risks-of-high-fat-diets/#ixzz1qQSxQo7q

Notice however they don't eliminate fat completely. But overall going low-fat will have some great benefits for your health as a whole and for me it has helpled with weightloss as well

• Carim007
    Carim007 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Is weight training to be started right from the begining ?

Because I have been told I should first concentrate on cardio training for the first couple of months...
    And then move on to lifting weights ...
  • watboy
    Options
    Honestly I'm not very knowledgeable in that regards as to what comes first. When I first started going to the gym I was doing nothing but cardio. I was losing weight but not building any noticable muscles. The moment I added weight training in combination with cardio not only did I lose more weight faster but got some gains in stregnth , muscle definition and size. Being overweight for so long and actually seeing some muscle definition really did wonders for my self-esteem and it also motivated me. I think the overall goal is to be healthy not just lose weight.

Because I have been told I should first concentrate on cardio training for the first couple of months...
  • Carim007
    Carim007 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Honestly I'm not very knowledgeable in that regards as to what comes first. When I first started going to the gym I was doing nothing but cardio. I was losing weight but not building any noticable muscles. The moment I added weight training in combination with cardio not only did I lose more weight faster but got some gains in stregnth , muscle definition and size. Being overweight for so long and actually seeing some muscle definition really did wonders for my self-esteem and it also motivated me. I think the overall goal is to be healthy not just lose weight.

Thanks a lot Watboy for sharing your experience ... !!!
    You are right and I will follow your recommendation, starting next week ...
  • watboy
    Options
    Good luck Carim

Thanks a lot Watboy for sharing your experience ... !!!
    You are right and I will follow your recommendation, starting next week ...
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I can't believe I am saying this, but like watboy said lol, there really is no reason to wait. In fact, if you really wanted to get rid of any exercise, eliminate cardio. You can make your weight training anaerobic to provide benefits to your heart and cardiovascular system.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Yes I never said it wouldn't :) I don't count calories either though and that works for me.
    My experience in the past 4 years has taught me that for me eating low-fat content has helpled me tremendously in lowering cholesterol and overall wellness. Combined with weight training and cardio it has done wonders for me. I still have some more work to do but so far so good. I also never suggest going nonfat on everything. Tons of people do that. Our bodies need fat so cutting it all out I don't agree with. But to each their own.

"The most serious risk of high fat diets is heart disease. High-fat diets typically recommend foods high in saturated fats like beef, bacon and dark-meat poultry. According to the American Heart Association, a diet high in saturated fat can dramatically raise your :flowerforyou: cholesterol, increasing your risk of heart disease. The AHA recommends limiting your total fat intake to between 25 to 35 percent of total calories with only 7 percent coming by way of saturated fats."

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/249377-the-risks-of-high-fat-diets/#ixzz1qQSxQo7q

Notice however they don't eliminate fat completely. But overall going low-fat will have some great benefits for your health as a whole and for me it has helpled with weightloss as well

Keep in mind that all those things referenced in the study are also items very high in calories. But there is a difference between eating high fat and eating unhealthy. I cook with extra virgin olive oil, eat stuff like nuts and peanut butter and my cholesterol is lower than ever. I believes its more of a mix between unhealthy eating and obesity that increase your chance for heart disease. You don't really see anyone that is fit (low body fat and lots of muscle) that has the same issues as those that are obese.