Those of you at 1200 cals. a day...

Options
13»

Replies

• sabes2631
    sabes2631 Posts: 403
    Options
    I'm at 1,000 a day and sometimes got to 1,200 to treat myself.

Breakfast: Reduced Sugar Instant Oatmeal
    Lunch: Weight Watchers Yogurt, Honey Wheat Pretzels or Carrot Sticks
    Dinner: Trying lots of new recipes - mostly 300 or less per serving, plus a serving of veggies and/or salad
    Snacks (2 per day): Fiber One Chewy Bar, 2 Clementines, 1 oz. reduced fat cheddar and whole wheat crackers
  • sabes2631
    sabes2631 Posts: 403
    Options
    does anyone know what the amount of cals is for a 18-25 point weight watcher plan?
    18 points was impossible for me.
  • jtintx
    jtintx Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    then I'd pick "lightly active" and you get 1300.
    Here is MFP's definition: Sedentary: Spend most of the day sitting (e.g. bank teller, desk job)

That describes me perfectly...so that is 1200 a day. MFP won't even let me subtract 500 cal...its at 460. So I'm not even "trying" to lose 1 lb a week anymore because I'm going by MFPs recommendations still.
  • jtintx
    Options
    so with a bmr of around 1330 to 1360, and a bmi (as flawed as that calc is) of around 25.3 I don't think that you should be at a 600 calorie deficit. you should be more like a 300 calorie deficit IMHO. It'll go slower, but you won't feel hungry, and you won't plateau as much. You'd be surprised at what a healthy increase in calories can do for your metabolism.

Just my opinion, but 1lb plus a week when your in the healthy range is a lot to try for.
    I just used the BMI calc. and it does say 25.3 - but that is still in the over weight range.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    so with a bmr of around 1330 to 1360, and a bmi (as flawed as that calc is) of around 25.3 I don't think that you should be at a 600 calorie deficit. you should be more like a 300 calorie deficit IMHO. It'll go slower, but you won't feel hungry, and you won't plateau as much. You'd be surprised at what a healthy increase in calories can do for your metabolism.

Just my opinion, but 1lb plus a week when your in the healthy range is a lot to try for.
    I just used the BMI calc. and it does say 25.3 - but that is still in the over weight range.

Juuuuuuussssttt barely though. Essentially you are in the normal range, 1 lb and you should be in normal anyway.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Here is MFP's definition: Sedentary: Spend most of the day sitting (e.g. bank teller, desk job)

That describes me perfectly...so that is 1200 a day. MFP won't even let me subtract 500 cal...its at 460. So I'm not even "trying" to lose 1 lb a week anymore because I'm going by MFPs recommendations still.

sedentary is more like : you are on bed rest. you do not get up, walk around, climb stairs, drive your car, do laundry, load your dishwasher, you don't do anything. That isn't most people.

I sit on my @ss all day, and I am lightly active. I tried setting it at sedentary under the same thinking, and lost nothing.
    SHBoss knows what he is talking about-
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

sedentary is more like : you are on bed rest. you do not get up, walk around, climb stairs, drive your car, do laundry, load your dishwasher, you don't do anything. That isn't most people.

I sit on my @ss all day, and I am lightly active. I tried setting it at sedentary under the same thinking, and lost nothing.
    SHBoss knows what he is talking about-

I DO NOT! TAKE THAT BACK!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    :laugh: :bigsmile:

it's true. Banks, you are our resident expert. Whenever I am confused, have a question about what is going on in my body, what I should do to get the results I want, I read your posts and it all becomes clear.

jtintx, obviously, it's up to you to choose your own path. you asked for some advice, we tried to give it. let us know how it goes-
  • jtintx
    Options
    Ok, I'm going to eat a little more but still shoot for at least a 300 cal. deficit. The scale won't move as much as I'd like but as long as the jeans keep getting too big I'll be ok.

One more question - is 135 pounds realistic for me? Right now I just want to get to 145. But the reason I ask isn't for vanity reasons but for athletic performance reasons.
  • tig3rang3l
    tig3rang3l Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Breakfast: Fibre One & source yogurt, with V8 Fusion on side

Snack: Banana with almond butter

Lunch: Fat free chicken on whole grain bread, slice of cheese

Snack: Carrot sticks

Dinner: Vegetable soup (home made) & Turkey Burger

If I'm over, I just leave out the cheese... if under, I'll have a handful of air-popped popcorn or some nuts. I like to save most of my calories for the evening, I hate going to bed feeling hungry!
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Ok, I'm going to eat a little more but still shoot for at least a 300 cal. deficit. The scale won't move as much as I'd like but as long as the jeans keep getting too big I'll be ok.

One more question - is 135 pounds realistic for me? Right now I just want to get to 145. But the reason I ask isn't for vanity reasons but for athletic performance reasons.

Truely, I think that once you reach around 25 BMI or so, I usually say, abandon the scale, focus on Body Fat %. I know it's a tougher measurement, and it takes longer to move it, but it will be what keeps you healthy in the long run. The better your muscle to fat ratio is, the healthier you will be (and you'll look better too, and isn't that what we all are really hoping for? Good health and to look mahvelous! :wink: )

You probably COULD get to 135, but whether that's a healthy weight for you, something that you can maintain and be happy with, that's a question only you can answer.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options

I think it's more about how you look, body fat percentage, endurance, than a certain number on a scale. 145 still puts you in the healthy BMI range, and 135 is smack in the middle of the healthy range, so really it comes down to those other factors.

go for 145. see how you look, and feel. If you feel like you still need to continue, do so. But understand that because you are so close to your goal, it will be slow going. I have seen posts from members who took 6 months to get the last 10 lbs off. and that's okay.

and for goodness sake, eat! 1350-1400 will still be moving towards the goal. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    HA! see I told you Banks knows what he is talking about!!!
  • jtintx
    Options
    HA! see I told you Banks knows what he is talking about!!!
    You both do!! And thanks to both of you!!!

Thanks to all who replied with food info also...I got some more good ideas of how to keep in my cal. range.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Definitely eat all your exercise calories, especially if you're aiming for athletic performance. The inches will come off faster when you do.
  • tamcamp
    tamcamp Posts: 2
    Options
    What is in three bean salad?
  • BONITATEJANA
    Options
    I find that replacing a meal with a protien shake works, and follow serving sizes, that helps you stay in your range..alot of water will help with the hunger and trying taking in more fiber, that is what has helped me over the years of lossing weight...hope that helps a little..
  • skwhatley
    skwhatley Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    tagging! :flowerforyou:
  • harleygirl6363
    harleygirl6363 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I know I already relpied to this thread but I tried something different for breakfast yesterday and it was amazing and filling. I had an egg white omlette with, turkey, mushrooms, tomates, fat free cheese, salsa and fat free sour cream. All of that was only 170 calories and it was HUGE and I stayed filled untii lunch time which is amazing in itself. As for lunch and dinner that hasnt changed much. Good luck and keep up the great work!!!