2»

Replies

• CyanideCyster
    Options
    P.S Your transformation is incredible!
  • sycarroll
    sycarroll Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I do like skipping rope but don't think i do just that for very long, I get too bored. My current HIIT currect is jumping rope, Jumping Jacks, Juming rope, jogging, mud runs, knee highs, squate jump, leg hops. All one minute each, except leg hops which is 30's each leg, straight through no breaks until the end, than 2 minute rest. I do a total of 4 times.
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    WOOT! Adding this to my "HIIT list"
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I do skipping as part of my circuits program - 7 sets of between 2 and 4 minutes, and although I feel exhausted, it doesn't burn that many calories for me.
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    hi zaffer,i suppose i could push it to the extreme...my heart rate runs at 165 by the time ive finished the min of work,my max heart rate is 180.if i was pushing it to the extreme,then yes,id probably go for 20mins on......20 mins off,but the recovery time would probably have to increase to let my heart rate come back down enough to go again....one of my ropes has a jump counter on it.......and by the time ive hit 20mins when my heart rate is at 165,ive done over 3000 jumps

exactly :) that's the point...try it even more extreme for one session, you'll find that you can probably get to 20 seconds on and 10 seconds rest eventually.
    HIIT has helped with recovery for me, especially when reducing rest times systematically.
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Moved to fitness and exercise
  • fatshady360
    Options
    hi fteale.......seriously!!im surprised at that...when i put it in the app for 40mins it gave me 600 close to 700 cals burnt,but that doesnt include the 1 min on/1 min off type of training......i actually went by my rope counter and my heart rate monitor....there was only a 10 cal difference between the 2..500 on my heart rate monitor and 510 on my rope...so i went with my heart rate monitor.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    hi fteale.......seriously!!im surprised at that...when i put it in the app for 40mins it gave me 600 close to 700 cals burnt,but that doesnt include the 1 min on/1 min off type of training......i actually went by my rope counter and my heart rate monitor....there was only a 10 cal difference between the 2..500 on my heart rate monitor and 510 on my rope...so i went with my heart rate monitor.

I use a HRM. MFP puts the cals burned as much higher.
  • alli_baba
    alli_baba Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I completely agree about the effectiveness of rope skipping.

I used to be a runner (35 miles a week) until an injury sidelined me. That's when a friend who is a boxer suggested rope skipping. He said it was more effective cardio than running and lower impact (if you do it properly, your feet shouldn't be more than an inch off the ground).

Anyway, for the last six months I've been tacking on a 20 minute interval session (24 rounds of 40 seconds on/ 10 seconds off) to my normal workouts. I am actually a bit below my goal weight (so I didn't do this for weight loss), but I am in much better shape than my running days.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,230 Member
    Options
    I have not seemed to be able to get the hang of skipping. I keep getting caught up on the rope.
  • alli_baba
    alli_baba Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have not seemed to be able to get the hang of skipping. I keep getting caught up on the rope.

I can totally relate. It took me several weeks of consistent effort before I could skip without any misses. Those first few sessions were seriously frustrating. But if you can get over the first few weeks (I generally get in 3-4 sessions a week), I guarantee it will become much easier.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,230 Member
    Options

I can totally relate. It took me several weeks of consistent effort before I could skip without any misses. Those first few sessions were seriously frustrating. But if you can get over the first few weeks (I generally get in 3-4 sessions a week), I guarantee it will become much easier.

That would be nice if it happened. I should give it a longer try. It might have to wait until I have the surgery for my torn meniscus as jumping up and down could aggravate it. I know skipping done properly is not that high of a jump, but I know also that I have a hard time keeping the jump small.
  • rob_v
    rob_v Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I started doing this at the gym for warmup. I do the same thing 1min on 1 off for 10 mins. Great way to get things warmed up.
    An hour is nuting futz!
    Just picked up a rope the other day so gonna have to try that!
  • stephenatl09
    stephenatl09 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    ellipticals are great too......you can lose a serious amount of weight on those:smile:

I'm trying! I go all out as fast as I can (without increasing the intensity so it's not true HIIT but I'm trying!) for a minute, rest for 2 and back at it for another minute. I've gotten up to 15-20 minutes doing this and it's so much easier than straining my poor knees or ankles by running. People try to encourage me to run, but I KNOW how easy it is to hurt yourself at my weight doing that. Injuries are not an option.

I do HIIT on an Elliptical. I found an app called Seconds Pro that really helps a lot. There is a free one the Pro costs like $2.99 and you can program it and it stays. The free one you must program every time. You can set it up for whatever times you need and customize with music etc. There are also some pre-programmed ones.
    Good Luck !!
  • fitmemom
    fitmemom Posts: 22
    Options
    I've read a little bit about tabata. On the treadmill?? Please tell me more.
  • twinmama1987
    twinmama1987 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I enjoy Turbo Fire HIIT
  • XoSaraoX
    XoSaraoX Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I've read a little bit about tabata. On the treadmill?? Please tell me more.

i have an app on my phone that does it. i do about a 5 min warm up first. then full out run as fast as your legs can go for me its about 6.5 to 7.0 for 30sec .. then jump onto the sides for 10 sec (feels like 2seconds lol) then jump back on and full out run again.. do this for 8 reps. and vola tabata workout!