Lifting weights while being heavy

Options
Ok guys and gals i am on this road to get into better shape and i want to get back to my glory days with fitness. I am doing a lot of cardio and its helping me a lot but i am a little scared to lift weights and do P90x because of my mass. If you look at my profile pic, that was me at 220 i am currently at 299 (after being at 311) I started P90x but i stopped because i felt massive after working out with weights. My arms swelled my legs swelled my chest swelled. So my question to you guys is, is it ok for someone like me to lift weights again being at my current weight? I know that muscle weighs more then fat but the fat is a lot more dense then muscle. I just felt really big after doing P90x after a week so i stopped and kept on doing cardio. i would love to hear some input from you guys

Replies

• kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    muscle tissue burns more cals than fat tissue does which should speed your weight loss. I think you should continue to lift in addition to the cardio and you will get the desired result.
  • JamCase
    JamCase Posts: 5
    Options
    I agree. The key to it is to never go real heavy with the weights. And, maybe do higher reps.
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Muscle and fat weigh exactly the same - a pound is a pound. Muscle just takes up much less physical space than fat does (this is why some people get discouraged when they're seeing no change on the scale afte rthey've added strength training to their workouts - you are getting fitter/healthier, but you might gain five pounds of muscle and lose five pounds of fat - you weigh the same, but your clothes will start fitting better, you will be stronger, etc.).

I would say, yes, it's fine to be doing strength training. Building muscle will burn more calories overall - your metabolism speeds up so that you're burning calories at a higher rate even when not working out. I started P90X when I was about 250 pounds - went through three rounds of it and dropped 60 pounds. I'm stronger, healthier, have more muscle (but I'm not a bodybuilder by any means).

Go for it.
  • mrnice1058
    mrnice1058 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    i understand what you mean about pound for pound i just got a little scared thinking about it. i have massive legs already and i didnt want to get them bigger but your right it will be the same but take up less space. I will start up P90x Classic on monday since i dont want to start in the middle of the week. thanks for the info everyone!