going up from 1200 calories per day what do people think?

Options
13»

Replies

• SilentRenegade
    SilentRenegade Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I went from 1200 to 1400 to 1600 to 1800. Each time my weight loss picked up momentum. I float between 1600-1800 and sometimes 2000. Depends on my activity level that day. I enjoy it much more!
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I started at 1,200 and last a few days, but I've bumped that up to 1,500 and eating back about half my exercise cals. When I get closer to my goal I plan on gradually increasing my cals to be closer to my maintenace level.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've been doing 1200 calories for 2 weeks now and was thinking about moving them up a bit what would people recommend going up to, i was thinking 1400 but with the amount of exercise i'm doing i'm not to sure.
    Thanks
    Jess

It totally depends on your Basal Metabolic Rate, and your activity level. Check in "My Home" and "Goals" to see what your new caloric defecit would be (or if there is one) and it should give you a good idea.
    Whatever you do, you should do it gradually though.
  • boobee32
    boobee32 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    wow..according to Dans site, I my BMR calories that I should be eating at no exercise is 1661. I am currently at 1230. That is a huge difference. I am currently gaining and losing the same few pounds. Gain and lose Gain and lose. I am always hungry at night. Should I up them?
  • MissLuana
    MissLuana Posts: 356
    Options
    I was at 1200 for about 2 months and was constantly hungry and tired. Anytime I "messed" up during that time, I gained instantly. I've now adjusted MFP for 1.5 pounds a week which took my calorie intake up to 1450/day. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! Now I'm losing the 2 pounds per week I was supposed to lose at 1200 calories. I'm hardly ever hungry (unless I've eaten too many sweets and wasted the calories that way) and my energy has improved greatly.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Some folks have great success upping their calories, losing more weight than they did with a more restrictive goal.

But even if you're NOT one of those people, I'm personally of the opinion that it's better to eat a little more, feel a little more satisfied, and lose weight a little tiny bit slower... and be able to stay on plan over a longer period of time.

I agree! my goal is 1700. Enough to be satisfied, it doesn't feel like a struggle most days and if it turns out my maintenance level is in this range, that is OK too.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    wow..according to Dans site, I my BMR calories that I should be eating at no exercise is 1661. I am currently at 1230. That is a huge difference. I am currently gaining and losing the same few pounds. Gain and lose Gain and lose. I am always hungry at night. Should I up them?

Yes! You shouldn't consistently eat below your BMR. If that seems like too much food for you, you might up it slowly over time. Like 100 calories/day for a week, then another 100, etc., taking you a month to add in that 400 calories. At least that's how I've been doing it and it worked well as I saw no jump up on the scale and it took awhile for my stomach to get used to the bigger quantities of food.
  • lmd172
    lmd172 Posts: 172
    Options
    bump
  • boobee32
    boobee32 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Well, I think I am going to try to up mine a bit. Maybe I will feel like doing some exercise when I do...I stay so tired all the time now.
  • firstnamekaren
    firstnamekaren Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Dan is great. This is the site he gives all of us to run our numbers and he has a group, "Fuel the Machine!"
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/

According to this site, using the BMR calculator, I should be at 1660 calories a day, instead of 1200! I'm seriously considering upping it, because my situation was just like yours, I've lost a bunch, now it's just kind of flip flopping back and forth.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Realistically you shouldn't dip below a 500 calorie deficit, the 1200 calories is awefully low, even if it does provide faster results, its only short term and most people cannot stick to that, especially if they add in exercise. I eat 1600 calories Plus most of my exercise calories, I've been really happy after switching the past few weeks and the scale is moving again
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Well, I think I am going to try to up mine a bit. Maybe I will feel like doing some exercise when I do...I stay so tired all the time now.

I was fatigued a lot before I started upping my calories. It makes a huge difference in my energy levels. In fact, since I zig-zag my calories throughout the week, if I start feeling fatigued, I'll look at the last couple of days eating and, quite often, I find that I'm a bit on the low side and eat more and this often fixes the problem.

Also, if my muscles are seriously sore/tired from exercise, above and beyond the norm, I'll review my diary and find that I'm either too low in calories or too low in protein. Eating more, especially protein, can take the soreness away.