Rant: It's Week 4

Options
It's week 4... I'm still huge... still in the same clothes... may have lots an inch or so, but that's it... its unbelievable

5 days/week in the gym (2-3 with weights, 5 cardio)... 7 days/week body aching... constant calorie monitoring... still nothing

I know I can't quit because it won't get me anywhere, but this is insane...

I'm pissed... like I can't even get a lb?? looser pants? SOMETHING?!

How is it possible that people just give up soda and lose weight... I haven't had soda in YEARS (with the exception of a diet here and there)

I've combed through the forums... Not sure what else to do... I can't afford to invest any more money in this (HR monitors, scales, etc.). Medically I'm fine (no thyroid, etc. problems)

Sure the increased stamina and strength is great, but WHERE are the visual results?!

Replies

• IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    well since you posted, I'll offer some suggestions....

1) Honestly I've found with myself and most of my friends that they put in the bare minimum effort when working out at the gym. And often times people think they only need to do the bare minimum for 30 minutes and they are good. I started taking classes and it has been my saving grace....I realized that I wasn't pushing myself as hard I could, and a huge key to weight loss from exercise is getting your heart rate up for prolonged periods of time. I only started seeing results when I was working out for an hour or more at a time and working out hard.

2) I peeked at your diary and you have a LOT of carbs and extra sugars in your diet that you could cut. It's not necessarily for everyone....but maybe you need a drastic diet change. Not merely cutting calories but changing how you put food into your body all together. Again, for me, I only started to see results when I started eating RADICALLY different.

good luck
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    2000 calories seems like a lot for a woman even if you are active...
    I agree that you should eat more meat/vegetables and cut out the extra carbs and sugars. Granola bars are basically candy. Junk food is ok as an occasional treat but it seems to make it into your daily diet.
  • JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    The greater portion of the battle with weight loss is diet and less so about exercise. IveLanded gave you some good advice - watch what you eat, cut out all extra sugar, and kick you *kitten* in the gym.
  • motherbetty
    motherbetty Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Water - drink lots of water. I never believed it until I increased my water intake to a minimum of 8 glasses each day.

Good luck and keep on keeping on. It will happen.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I was also going to suggest making sure you get at least 8 cups of water per day, 10-12 on the days you're active.

I'd also add sodium to your tracker. A few high sodium days can make a HUGE difference. If you have a high sodium day, up the water intake even more.

MIght be time to re-evaluate your workouts too. According to your profile, you were already somewhat active but have kicked up the number of days. That's a good start but I think you also need to kick up the intensity. Add incline and speed to your walks. If you're using other machines, increase the resistance, level and/or incline once per week. Also, make sure you're increasing your weights with your strength training. If you do the same thing all the time, your body gets used to it, like it becomes more like normal daily activity. Mixing up your workouts guarantees that the body will keep responding with good calorie burn.

Best of luck!
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    How much of a difference were you expecting in 4 weeks? This isn't a quick process. Just keep going at it and it will eventually happen.
  • Guitarjon
    Guitarjon Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    As suggested, check out your sodium levels. Sodium seems to be the main thing that really hinders my weightloss. Stay hydrated all of the time to ensure you are flushing out the sodium. Big fan of water, other than sweat, a lot of fat and crap comes out of your body through your wee.
  • ellesoul
    ellesoul Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    maybe it's the carbs and junk... i try my best to eat healthy but I guess it's not enough

my workouts outs are pretty intense as it is... for eg. my elliptical workouts are on resistance 12-18... never less unless im warming up or cooling down...

and mentally I can't do the same workout everyday...

I'll try upping meats/vegetables...
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Honestly your cals look pretty high. It looks like you're eating back your workout calories. While that's all well and good if they're accurate, they may not be. I'd stop doing that, up my water intake and add in some fresh fruits and veggies.
  • ellesoul
    Options
    ive tried to not eat back my workout calories, but I'm always hungry... I guess I need to try to find lower cal and lower carb meals/snacks....
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,118 Member
    Options
    Good that you recognized your food issues. If you are putting the wrong things in your body, you will gain weight or at best, maintain. Lack of nutrients can cause over-eating, and carbohydrates in excess is a recipe for disaster. Try to keep your macros in compliance.

The other thing no one mentioned so far is measuring your food. It's not good enough to say "One portion" of something. You need to be measuring and/or weighing your food with a food scale. If you are eating mostly packaged, processed food, that is a whole other problem, and you definitely need to steer toward whole foods.
  • ellesoul
    Options
    water Ive always drank plenty of... so water isn't an issue...

so: lower carb, more fruits/veggies, avoid eating workout calories, monitor sodium

theres so much involved in weight loss smh
  • ellesoul
    Options
    cmriverside:

I cook for dinner often and use measuring utensils... is that not enough?

Like I mentioned before, I can't really afford any other tools (scales, HRMs, etc.)... wish I could, but I can't at the moment

... i didn't think i was eating many processed foods... other than breads, cheese, yogurt... (had chips last night which was bad, i know), and my meal replacement/protein shake

maybe looking into examples of what other people are doing with 1500 cals, low carb, will help...
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I'll second the more water and more fruits and vegetables in your diet. Both will help fill you and increase your fiber. I always track fiber on my diary so I know what I'm getting. Try to always fill half your plate with vegetables at any given meal and I think you'll find that the craving for carbs goes down. Then make sure the grains you eat are whole grains. All that will help you to cut down on the bad calories.

It all takes time, which is frustrating, but you *will* get there. Keep up the great work!
  • Kagard11
    Kagard11 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I'm guilty of the processed food/high carb pitfalls. I love my wine and junk food! I try to keep my cals within, but haven't gotten great results lately because of the bad habits. I'm WAY more successful when I don't eat it/drink it.
  • JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    If you are always hungry, try ditching the carbs and go for more healthy fats, lean protein, and fiber (vegetables). For the same amount of calories as your high-carb ~400 cal breakfast, I have an omelette consisting of 3 eggs, 1 60g link of chicken sausage, 125g of zuchinni, 25g spinach, and another 50g or so of other vegetables, plus about an ounce total of milk/cheese. I eat that at about 7:30 am and am good to go until lunch, about 5-6 hours later. Healthy, nutrient-dense is what you want.

Also, weighing your food is much more accurate than measuring volumes (thus my stuff is all in grams above). Get a kitchen scale and you'll be more precise.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,118 Member
    Options
    cmriverside:

I cook for dinner often and use measuring utensils... is that not enough?

Like I mentioned before, I can't really afford any other tools (scales, HRMs, etc.)... wish I could, but I can't at the moment

... i didn't think i was eating many processed foods... other than breads, cheese, yogurt... (had chips last night which was bad, i know), and my meal replacement/protein shake

maybe looking into examples of what other people are doing with 1500 cals, low carb, will help...

You cook for dinner? Excellent. Try bringing your lunch, and having breakfast at home in the morning.

A food scale is one of the best investments I ever made. $15-20. If you don't eat out two days this week, you've paid for it. It really is that important.

I've been eating low(er) carb and 1500 cals for a year. I only have a few pounds extra right now, and I'm much older than you. Just try to stick with Protein, Fats, and THEN Carbs. I keep my Carbs around 100 a day. It is the only thing that has worked for me. I no longer crave the breads and crackers and cookies and sugars like I used to. Protein and Fat are super important.

There are lots of sites to educate you on food choices. Try MarksDailyApple for instance....or Google low(er) carb diets. You don't want to eliminate carbs, just stop with the sugary, bready choices. You need carbs.

Weight loss happens in the kitchen. It's about the right food choices.

Oh, and EAT those exercise calories. This site is designed for you to do this.

• ellesoul
    Options
    JayByrd107

I've for the most part I've kept my breakfast in the 200s everyday (usually a shake and fruit)... if i get up any earlier just to make breakfast, I'll be down to 5 or 6 hours of sleep, which can't happen because I'm already struggling to hit 6-7 hours... and I could make the food the night before before, but I HATE microwaved food... i don't even own a microwave..

maybe eventually I can invest in a scale, but right now it's not in the budget...

I'll try to figure out something to up my veggies... maybe force myself to eat them raw throughout the day :-&
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Couldn't see your sodium intake so that might be an issue.

how intense are your workouts? how heavy are you lifting?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I'd like to suggest that maybe you are doing 2 things incorrectly-

1.) you are under-estimating your calorie intake or over estimating your calories burned. If you are in a caloric deficit you should be losing. Period.

Or

2.) you are overtraining. Edit: what I mean by that is not allowing a sufficient amount of time for muscle repair. You mention constantly being sore. If you are not allowing proper time for muscles to repair how are they getting stronger? They are also likely retaining a **** ton of water.

You would be surprised what counting every item that you intake and exercising 3 times a week can do.