When to know when to stop trying to lose weight...

Options
It seems like i'm not losing weight anymore but this morning i tried on my pants from college that i haven't worn in 8 years and what a surprise, it fits me again. I'm still not happy with my weight right now but i'm not sure if i already hit my plateau. i'm 5'4 and 122 lbs. I still work out at least 4 to 5 times a week with a combination of circuit training and running. My diet seems ok and i don't really go over my limit w/c is only 1200/day.

Replies

• sarajo16
    sarajo16 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    At 122lbs I think your at a healthy weight. Why are you asking this question..... is it rhetorical? How could you be still trying to lose weight when your this healthy and thin, as you said you workout 4 to 5 times a week. I think you should consider going on maintenance. I think 1200 is way too little for that exercise routine.
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    I would focus less on the weight at this point and more on how you feel. How you look. Do your old pants fit? YES, they do. :) Nothing wrong with losing a few more pounds, but I really wouldn't have that be your focus at this point.
  • jumptothebeat
    jumptothebeat Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Where is it you want to be? I'm at the stage where I have an 'ideal' body image in my mind of where I would like to be, so that is more my aim than a number on the scales. Essentially I want to be more toned with lower BF% than I have at the mo. 122lbs is a slim weight so maybe if you are still not happy and want to be 'tighter' you could try doing some weights and strength exercises?
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I would focus less on the weight at this point and more on how you feel. How you look. Do your old pants fit? YES, they do. :) Nothing wrong with losing a few more pounds, but I really wouldn't have that be your focus at this point.

Agree with this. Time focus on how you feel and look, and how your clothes fit. If your body isn't where you want it to be, then it's probably not your weight but your composition/bf % that needs to be worked on.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Are you not happy with your weight or your body composition? Meaning, if you still have flab, it isn't your weight that will take care of the issue, but rather you need to cut body fat. Also, eating 1200 calories a day and exercise a lot will only preserve your body fat which will affect you from getting that physique you want. Below is a good illustration of what I mean. This girl gained 10 lbs of muscle and is now skinnier than ever.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/392784-skinny-fat-vs-fit-photo?hl=skinny+fat&page=2#posts-5441852
  • dida_57
    dida_57 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses, I guess I just have to focus now on lowering my body fat % rather than my weight.