Finally decided to stop putting myself down

Options
Hi everyone! I'm pretty brand-new to MFP, and this is the first time I've started watching what I eat in many years. If you don't enjoy reading life stories, just skip to the end. I need to get all this off my chest, and I'm wordy :D

<!-- THE STUFF YOU CAN SKIP -->

I was very skinny all the way through college (110lbs at 5'5"), married my college sweetheart in 2001, and started living a more sedentary life because I wasn't biking to classes or playing frisbee anymore. When I hit about 125 in 2003, the insults started coming because I was "letting myself go" and he began to dictate what I should eat and wanted me to work out at least 5 days a week. And while eating right and exercising are good, I resented him for making me feel that if I didn't, he wouldn't want me anymore, so I fought it tooth and nail. Eventually we separated in 2006 and divorced in 2007 (I'll keep the long story out of it, but it was the best thing that could have happened). I weighed about 140 at that point. My weight continued to go up rapidly after that because I felt like hey, I didn't have someone telling me what to eat and how to work out anymore, and I didn't have to impress anyone. I dated a few guys who didn't mind my weight and that boosted my faltering self-esteem a bit at least.

By 2008 I weighed about 160. I transplanted myself to Alabama and ended up meeting a guy that I clicked with immediately. We got married in 2010 (at 180lbs), and last June we had a beautiful daughter! When I first got pregnant, I weighed 190lbs. After she was born, I actually weighed 185. Still no idea how that happened, but anyway, I didn't work out or anything after that so I was sitting steady around 195 at the beginning of this year.

My husband likes chunky girls so he has never made a single comment about wanting me to lose weight. I think part of that is also because he knows how badly my ex treated me and he doesn't want me to go through that again... but the thing is, it's not good for my health so sometimes I wish he WOULD encourage me a little (okay, I admit, I'd probably cry. I am nothing if not over-emotional). He's a big guy himself at a barrel-chested 260lbs (and yes, I like it that way!) and has actually lost about 30lbs in the last 2 years because he cut out most of the sweet tea and soda he was drinking, but he's not really interested in either of us losing any more weight. I appreciate that he likes my rolls, but I wish he'd realize that it's not HEALTHY. And now that we have a baby, I want to be sure she doesn't end up like us - plus, I want to be able to keep up with her as she gets older!

Anyway, in looking back, I realized I've been putting myself down for a long time. It's funny, when I weighed 110 I turned up my nose at anyone over about 130lbs, and part of that was because my self-esteem was LOW, not high. I'm not exactly a "hot chick" (I know I'm not butt-ugly, but I am not what one would consider to be "hot") so I couldn't rely on my looks to feel good about myself; my ex reminded me of that quite a bit. So what happened when I started to gain weight? I started telling myself, "Well there's no point in losing weight since I'm never going to be pretty anyway. If I'm not pretty, who cares if I'm thin?" Nice. Self-sabotage FTW, right? And when I got married again, I told myself, "It's not like I need to impress anyone now, and my husband likes me this way so it's okay." Well, time to stop undermining my health.

<!-- OKAY YOU CAN STOP SKIPPING NOW -->

Still with me? So now that I've talked way too much, here's a little summary about me:

I'm a geek and, let's face it, a bit of a nerd. I love the heck out of Firefly, Big Bang Theory, and Doctor Who. I enjoy reading Asimov and Palahniuk. I listen to progressive, sludge, melodic death, and industrial metal. I also listen to classical, jazz fusion, trance, and 80s rock. I do LARP and the SCA and play Skyrim and used to play WoW. I love a good debate and like it when I'm wrong almost as much as when I'm right, because it means I learned something. I'm snarky, sarcastic, and opinionated, and I have a big mouth but I also have a big heart and that often doesn't come out as much online, sadly. I'm agnostic/secular humanist/apatheist/labels-are-kinda-stupid/anti-organized-religion but grew up Christian. No, I'm not angry about it, the pieces just didn't seem to fit for me. I've worked as a graphic artist for 10 years, mostly in the newspaper industry, but right now I do web design and ads for a wholesaler. I enjoy having friends from all walks of life and I believe everyone could learn how to be more accepting, including myself. I'm very happily married and have a beautiful 9-month-old daughter.

In the last 10 years I've ballooned from 110lbs up to 195lbs. Honestly, I was pretty comfortable with myself at 140lbs and would be happy enough at 150lbs, so right now that is my goal and if I exceed it, great! And if I don't hit my goal, at least I did something to try to be more healthy! I could use some motivation, though, as I've spent the last 5 or so years telling myself that it shouldn't matter what I weigh and it's hard to get out of that mindset.

Friend me if you'd like. Chat with me if you'd like. As you can see, I have more than enough words to go around.

Replies

• elysianashes
    Options
    Well dang, apparently that was more off-putting than I expected!

I really would like a few friends on here :)
  • Reecebullet
    Reecebullet Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I've sent a friend request! It's always nice to have people to support you, as well as to hand out support when needed. :)
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Bump for when I have time to read :flowerforyou:
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    haha you totally crack me up. friending you, you mad woman you. Mind you I'm probably worse. :P
  • elysianashes
    Options
    Thanks for all the adds! And yes, I am definitely willing to hand out support - it's not a one-way street!
  • Wendyma1
    Wendyma1 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I love hearing about what brought people to MFP! Welcome! I have lived your story, divorce and all! I love your attitude and glad to see you are doing this for health reason. Looking forward to getting to know you better!
  • smplycomplicated
    smplycomplicated Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me. :) I bookmarked your post so i can read it later this evening.
  • pinkhockymom
    pinkhockymom Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I sent you a friend request!!:flowerforyou:
  • 7funnygirl7
    7funnygirl7 Posts: 1,176
    Options
    Ready to rock this journey with you~add me if ya want!!!
  • jenready
    jenready Posts: 2,658 Member
    Options
    Friend request sent. At times when reading your post, I thought you were reading my mind. Putting yourself down is easy to do and a hard habit to break.
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I'm with ya! I still put myself down and hide behind my weight. I see old pictures of me in college and wonder why in the world did I put myself down and think I was fat. Well my mom didn't help because she always commented on how I looked.... either too much praise for losing weight or too much criticism for gaining it. I never could make her happy.

So I'm trying to do it again. I want to be more healthy. I'm trying to finally just do it for me. I'm taking the slow and steady approach.

So good for you! Your husband will be supportive of you because he loves you. My husband and I have dieted together but he has never had to lose as much as me and of course, being male, he loses it faster. :) I found MFP more for him because he is a numbers person. Also because he just didn't get how a handful of this and a handful of that was ruining his diet. It's really been helpful for both of us.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    Holy hell you sound like me, right down to the geek/nerd stuff.

I know what you mean about having a guy who likes big/chunky girls. I've been with my guy two years and wondered before I began this if he'd lose interest but I remember a conversation where I told him the doctor said I needed to lose weight because it was affecting my joints more (I have Hypermobility) and he told me to do whatever necessary for my health. That coming from a guy that whined when I told him to quit smoking, haha.

But yes I think all of us who've been hurt by others because of our weight or carry around some level of self-loathing or guilt need to thrust open the blinds in our minds and let some fresh air in. We love ourselves enough to fight to get our bodies back, why not fight to encourage ourselves instead of beating ourselves up?
  • Vonnie2006
    Vonnie2006 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    You remind me through your writing of my girlfriend Crystal and that's a GOOD thing!
  • BeeSunny
    BeeSunny Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    haha you totally crack me up. friending you, you mad woman you. Mind you I'm probably worse. :P

I agree!!! Sending a request!!
  • BeeSunny
    BeeSunny Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm pretty brand-new to MFP, and this is the first time I've started watching what I eat in many years. If you don't enjoy reading life stories, just skip to the end. I need to get all this off my chest, and I'm wordy :D

<!-- THE STUFF YOU CAN SKIP -->

I was very skinny all the way through college (110lbs at 5'5"), married my college sweetheart in 2001, and started living a more sedentary life because I wasn't biking to classes or playing frisbee anymore. When I hit about 125 in 2003, the insults started coming because I was "letting myself go" and he began to dictate what I should eat and wanted me to work out at least 5 days a week. And while eating right and exercising are good, I resented him for making me feel that if I didn't, he wouldn't want me anymore, so I fought it tooth and nail. Eventually we separated in 2006 and divorced in 2007 (I'll keep the long story out of it, but it was the best thing that could have happened). I weighed about 140 at that point. My weight continued to go up rapidly after that because I felt like hey, I didn't have someone telling me what to eat and how to work out anymore, and I didn't have to impress anyone. I dated a few guys who didn't mind my weight and that boosted my faltering self-esteem a bit at least.

By 2008 I weighed about 160. I transplanted myself to Alabama and ended up meeting a guy that I clicked with immediately. We got married in 2010 (at 180lbs), and last June we had a beautiful daughter! When I first got pregnant, I weighed 190lbs. After she was born, I actually weighed 185. Still no idea how that happened, but anyway, I didn't work out or anything after that so I was sitting steady around 195 at the beginning of this year.

My husband likes chunky girls so he has never made a single comment about wanting me to lose weight. I think part of that is also because he knows how badly my ex treated me and he doesn't want me to go through that again... but the thing is, it's not good for my health so sometimes I wish he WOULD encourage me a little (okay, I admit, I'd probably cry. I am nothing if not over-emotional). He's a big guy himself at a barrel-chested 260lbs (and yes, I like it that way!) and has actually lost about 30lbs in the last 2 years because he cut out most of the sweet tea and soda he was drinking, but he's not really interested in either of us losing any more weight. I appreciate that he likes my rolls, but I wish he'd realize that it's not HEALTHY. And now that we have a baby, I want to be sure she doesn't end up like us - plus, I want to be able to keep up with her as she gets older!

Anyway, in looking back, I realized I've been putting myself down for a long time. It's funny, when I weighed 110 I turned up my nose at anyone over about 130lbs, and part of that was because my self-esteem was LOW, not high. I'm not exactly a "hot chick" (I know I'm not butt-ugly, but I am not what one would consider to be "hot") so I couldn't rely on my looks to feel good about myself; my ex reminded me of that quite a bit. So what happened when I started to gain weight? I started telling myself, "Well there's no point in losing weight since I'm never going to be pretty anyway. If I'm not pretty, who cares if I'm thin?" Nice. Self-sabotage FTW, right? And when I got married again, I told myself, "It's not like I need to impress anyone now, and my husband likes me this way so it's okay." Well, time to stop undermining my health.

<!-- OKAY YOU CAN STOP SKIPPING NOW -->

Still with me? So now that I've talked way too much, here's a little summary about me:

I'm a geek and, let's face it, a bit of a nerd. I love the heck out of Firefly, Big Bang Theory, and Doctor Who. I enjoy reading Asimov and Palahniuk. I listen to progressive, sludge, melodic death, and industrial metal. I also listen to classical, jazz fusion, trance, and 80s rock. I do LARP and the SCA and play Skyrim and used to play WoW. I love a good debate and like it when I'm wrong almost as much as when I'm right, because it means I learned something. I'm snarky, sarcastic, and opinionated, and I have a big mouth but I also have a big heart and that often doesn't come out as much online, sadly. I'm agnostic/secular humanist/apatheist/labels-are-kinda-stupid/anti-organized-religion but grew up Christian. No, I'm not angry about it, the pieces just didn't seem to fit for me. I've worked as a graphic artist for 10 years, mostly in the newspaper industry, but right now I do web design and ads for a wholesaler. I enjoy having friends from all walks of life and I believe everyone could learn how to be more accepting, including myself. I'm very happily married and have a beautiful 9-month-old daughter.

In the last 10 years I've ballooned from 110lbs up to 195lbs. Honestly, I was pretty comfortable with myself at 140lbs and would be happy enough at 150lbs, so right now that is my goal and if I exceed it, great! And if I don't hit my goal, at least I did something to try to be more healthy! I could use some motivation, though, as I've spent the last 5 or so years telling myself that it shouldn't matter what I weigh and it's hard to get out of that mindset.

Friend me if you'd like. Chat with me if you'd like. As you can see, I have more than enough words to go around.

Been in your shoes even divorced my ex in 2007, but I was skinny at the time. Good for you for recognizing the fact you were putting yourself down and for the awesome weight loss you have accomplished!!! I enjoyed the long-winded story and look forward to encouraging moments with you.
  • nessie84
    nessie84 Posts: 6
    Options
    I really liked your post, and although it was long, I enjoyed reading it because I feel that your determination shines through. I have been on here for awhile now, but I am just starting to reach out to others as I have discovered this is key to my weight loss. I'm happy you are here and I look forward to getting to know you. LARP sounds so awesome and I have been wanting to try it. Maybe we can chat about that sometime? Also, congrats on your baby! =) xo, Vanessa