mayo substitutions

Options
I was planning ahead for my lunch tomorrow and I'm thinking of having a pita with tuna and alfalfa sprouts. Does anyone have any others suggestions for mayo?

Replies

• librarygirl
    librarygirl Posts: 182
    Options
    I was planning ahead for my lunch tomorrow and I'm thinking of having a pita with tuna and alfalfa sprouts. Does anyone have any others suggestions for mayo?
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I generally skip mayo and just use a spicy brown or dijon mustard. You could always try using some plain yogurt or a fat free or low fat ranch or honey mustard dressing instead, too.
  • angel1face
    angel1face Posts: 110
    Options
    i really cant think of any as mayo is so good i understand but all i did was switch to light and fat free? hope that helps some :bigsmile:
  • librarygirl
    Options
    I try to skip mayo too and have been doing mustard on sandwiches. I'm not a big dijon mustard fan but the plain yogourt might work! I'll give that a go.
  • Mriv
    Mriv Posts: 30
    Options
    I literally tried a dozen fat free and light types without finding anything I could tolerate. I finally tried the ones made with either canola oil or olive oil and found them to be great. They are about half as much as regular mayo. I couldn't live with out my mayo. Hope this helps.
  • librarygirl
    Options
    I literally tried a dozen fat free and light types without finding anything I could tolerate. I finally tried the ones made with either canola oil or olive oil and found them to be great. They are about half as much as regular mayo. I couldn't live with out my mayo. Hope this helps.
    I hear what you are saying about living without mayo. Something about tuna and mayo just seems meant to be. What brands did you find with canola and olive oil?
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    They don't call it 'Miracle Whip' for nothing. I think the Miracle Whip Lite has just as much flavor and it's got a lot less calories than mayo.
  • AJWaddlesOn
    AJWaddlesOn Posts: 39
    Options
    I like to mash and spread fresh avocado and use it as a mayo substitute. Just add alittle salt and pepper.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I use a dijonaise mustard. It's a little lighter than a traditional mustard.
  • swtally80
    swtally80 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I love avacado as a mayo substitute its especially good with tuna!!!
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    laughing cow cheese wedges!
  • megbar1979
    megbar1979 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    They don't call it 'Miracle Whip' for nothing. I think the Miracle Whip Lite has just as much flavor and it's got a lot less calories than mayo.

I agree. I also like Best Foods Canola Oil Mayo. Less fat and calories than regular and still tastes good.
  • dwalden
    dwalden Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I found a completely calorie free mayo from Walden Farms. I may not taste exactly like your typical oil based mayo but it wasn't to bad.

http://www.waldenfarms.com/what_new.html
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    laughing cow cheese wedges!

I second that!! I have started mashing my tuna with a LC cheese wedge - very tasty. Though I love the combo of LC cheese and Avocado - that would rock with tuna. :tongue:
  • mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    where I work the cafeteria make tuna salad with FF mayo. I don't what kind it is, probably some type of commercial product, but its great. I can't tell its FF. I'm going to find out what kind, i'll post it if possible.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I love using mashed avocado in place of the mayonaise with tuna. It's still creamy plus the avo give it another layer of flavor.
  • codykitty
    codykitty Posts: 729
    Options

I would use hummus!
  • nongolf227
    nongolf227 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use low fat, plain cream cheese on pita or whole wheat wraps.
  • benw
    benw Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I like hummus or tzatiki
  • froggy1383
    froggy1383 Posts: 4
    Options
    you could also try low fat or fat free cottage cheese