I don't think I'll mess with logging online

Options
I think if I relied on putting my entire meals in here that I will give up soon. It seems like a task, and it's just easier to write everything down in my notebook and do some quick math as I go along. I know it sounds lazy, but if I don't like doing it I'm not going to stick with it.

Replies

• rainbowman
    rainbowman Posts: 77
    Options
    I think if I relied on putting my entire meals in here that I will give up soon. It seems like a task, and it's just easier to write everything down in my notebook and do some quick math as I go along. I know it sounds lazy, but if I don't like doing it I'm not going to stick with it.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Well-- good luck to you--
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    HMMMM, Ok. Don't want to sound harsh, but there are alot more benefits that go along with loging in your cals. For instance reports. Which I didn't think i would ever use until now 4 months later looking into trends. The bottom line is, does anyone like to have to log their cals anywhere? No.....but if your gonna use a system such as MFP, why do it half *kitten* ya know?

Try it for like 2 weeks. Just take what is in your notebook and plug it in in the evening........see what happens.

:flowerforyou:
  • CarmenSantiago
    CarmenSantiago Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Though this is a wonderful, free, site if something else works better for you then go for it.

Good Luck to you.
  • Lisabeth
    Lisabeth Posts: 268
    Options
    I set my food log to not only keep track of my caloric intake, but to know the nutrition I am putting into my body. While I am currently in fitness training, it's important that I monitor what, when and how much I put in my body at all times. it's a pain, I agree, but if you keep a little pad with you and write it all down and sit down at night and enter it, it's worth it. Right now, it's 4:20 in the afternoon and I had a 20 minute break before running another errand and I input what I did so far.

FYI, I'm also a very picky eater and will eat almost the same thing "Veganish", so MFP stores you food and all you really have to do is click to add the same food. This avoids the hassle of looking it all up!

Good Luck!

:drinker:
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you. I found it to be just the opposite.
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Once you get going on it, the task isn't as daunting. I also kept a notebook - and still kind of do. I switched to a 3 ring binder and put my daily reports in it. As you get stuff entered in and it starts appearing on your frequently used list - entering isn't difficult. It's easier than writing it down, really! Just takes some time in the beginning, and if you have something different or not in the system, but once you enter it, it's there! Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Even if you don't use the logging function - you can still hang with us :smokin:
  • perreaultleigh
    Options
    I thought so too, but the way this site calculates and adds up, as well as taking into account the exercise really makes it a non issue! It is much easier after a few days and you have your usual meals entered, easy to just click, click, click. And being TRUE to your calorie count really keeps you on track! I have lots 20 pounds over the last year, but to work on the last 10, this site is making it much easier to stick to a diet and stop eating when I am DONE for the day! (which i had not done before) I enter what I intend to eat for dinner and can tell right away if I will need to adjust, versus after I have eaten more than I thought! And you can also see how well you are doing, harder to cheat on yourself!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    as long as you're being accurate and consistent, you can do it that way if you prefer. I usually sit down in the morning first thing and plan out all my meals, so I almost never eat spontaneously. I'd go nuts if I had to run to the computer and search the database everytime I took a bite of something.
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    The bottom line is, does anyone like to have to log their cals anywhere? No.....but if your gonna use a system such as MFP, why do it half *kitten* ya know?

Lol, I must be a nerd because I love it! But, I like to analyze things (and Im into computers) so the reports are such a huge benefit for the effort.

But, if I hated it, I would find the means to log it somewhere else. At least your are logging it and that's what really matters. Whatever you need to make it successful for you.

Good luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Of course, do whatever works for you, but I'm surprised. Now that I have several of my regular foods listed in my Frequent Foods List (or whatever it's called) I find it faster than even writing things down. Most of my meals are just a few clicks, and I get all the nutritional info along with it.

Good luck.
  • Mriv
    Mriv Posts: 30
    Options
    My personal belief is that logging is very important. I use to do by it hand too but I wasn't as diligent as I am on-line. Plus the history/reports I found to be pretty revealing. It can be somewhat time consuming at first but common items like a sandwich can be defined as a meal for quicker selection plus the 'frequently used items' listing helps (important to keep it clean by deleting the 'once only' stuff). Try your method, but if you find it's not working you might want to reconsider. I usually find a program only works when you give it 100%.

I wish you all the best
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options

Thats what I used to do before I came to MFP- I set myself up on 1500 calories and wrote everything down on post-its and became more active and dropped 26lbs- I like MFP because I don't have to do math- I don't follow MFP's plan though
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Isnt that like going to a a Weight Watchers meeting and saying I am using WW but I am not going to count points?

Try it, you get used to it after a few weeks!:flowerforyou:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options

I started losing weight by keeping a food diary, like what you are saying.
    Either way works. It's all about visualizing the calories you are eating, staying below those upper limits.
    Good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Uncle Jo, is that you??:flowerforyou: