Mommy question??

Options
At what age do you feel is appropriate for girls to start wearing make-up???

Like just introducing them to make up..the simple stuff not nothing extreme

Replies

• yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    I'd go with high school, but I would still be sad about it.
  • jankleberry
    jankleberry Posts: 508
    Options
    I have no idea. I dont think any younger than 15 though. Maybe for special occasions before then. I started wearing eyeliner at 15 and honestly did not move to a full face of make up until I was about 19, I still only wear full make up if I'm going out for the day/night.

Oh yeah, but it looks like I might have a hard time with this one, my daughter is two and is already asking why she cant wear mummy's make up.
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I have two daughters, and would probably let them start wearing a small amount at 14 or 15.
  • RH_Brazell
    RH_Brazell Posts: 339
    Options
    I started when i was in 9th grade I know i asked before then but my parents weren't going for it
  • newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    High school. I feel they need to experiment and express themselves to find out who they are and this somehow helps. Holding them back just makes them rebel. It's really important to show the girls the proper way to apply the make-up too. Less is always more.
  • babybluefire
    babybluefire Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what kind of makeup we are talking about. Glittery chap-stick that smells like fruit. Cover up for a mark that bugging her. Or full blown makeup designed to attract the opposite sex. Full blown make up is going to wait till they can get a job and buy their own. Kid stuff or cover up for a birthmark that makes them uncomfortable. Egh. The 18 month old is standing in front of my full length mirror right now trying on hats and putting on clear chap-stick.
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    maybe don't wear make up so much yourself? at least not around her, it's hard to explain to a kid that natural is beautiful when you she sees you in make up all the time!

Maybe tell her when she asks that make up is only for fancy occasions to make you look well fancy?

I think kids should be free to play with make up if they want to - maybe you could play with face paint with her more, so that it's more fun than beauty enhancing?

I think you'll know when your kid is ready to wear make up, but it's good not only to tell them but to show them natural beauty is best!

All kiddies think their mum is the most beautiful lady ever, so it won't make sense to her if you tell her you use it to make yourself look pretty, but she doesn't need any! xD

Plus to kids, the answer, "it's only for grown ups" is a rubbish one, because it doesn't offer any explanation as to WHY it's only for grown ups!
  • Cmh1211
    Cmh1211 Posts: 104
    Options
    NEVER!!!!
  • RH_Brazell
    RH_Brazell Posts: 339
    Options
    It really depends on what kind of makeup we are talking about. Glittery chap-stick that smells like fruit. Cover up for a mark that bugging her. Or full blown makeup designed to attract the opposite sex. Full blown make up is going to wait till they can get a job and buy their own. Kid stuff or cover up for a birthmark that makes them uncomfortable. Egh. The 18 month old is standing in front of my full length mirror right now trying on hats and putting on clear chap-stick.

I'm asking about letting them start out not full blown lol
  • MsQt
    MsQt Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    NEVER!!!!

lol.... I would allow some lipstick maybe 10th grade but not so sure about eye shadow or liner
  • angijunbug
    angijunbug Posts: 205
    Options
    I started when I was 12. My mother let me wear it because she told me that I did a nice job with it. Later on in life I became a Cosmetologist & I still love make-up!!! :happy:
  • bonthomas85
    Options
    senior school so about age 14+ my 2 are only 5 and 6 now so few years yet.......... but i really can't so no as i love my make up!!!!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I'll probably introduce my girls to lip gloss, mascara, and powder when they're in middle school. Before they get to high school I'll give them plenty of lessons on proper eye shadow colors and application. I don't want them going through that award phase where they think bright blue eye shadow and hot pink lipstick is a good look.

ETA: I LOVE makeup and have a ton of it. But since I'm a stay at home mom I almost never wear it. When I go out shopping the most I wear is powder, blush, and mascara. I want them to grow up knowing that they are beautiful and don't need makeup to improve their looks.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    dress up is always fun, but out of the house? late middle school into high school.
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I have a 2 year old daughter. I am really torn on this. My mom made me wait forever to wear makeup and to shave....everything and I really hated it. I am not sure if there is a "magic" age. I think that I will judge this on my daughter and how mature she is. Maybe 4th grade let her wear some powder and lip gloss. Just because 4th grade you can start having puberty symptoms (zits) and she might want to cover them up.

I just do not know, I do not want my daughter to grow up too fast, but she is 2 and already loves lip gloss...am I going to make her stop it when she starts school and then allow it again in high school?

I think there is a way to work with your daughter...and really, it is just makeup...in the big picture of decisions that she is going to make during her youth and growing up, makeup is something that can easily be worked with between mom and daughter.
  • archgrrrl
    archgrrrl Posts: 62
    Options
    I think it would depend a lot on the individual. Is she even interested in wearing make-up? I know I never was until college. If she asks to wear it at an age that you feel is too young, maybe set some guidelines like she's allowed to experiment with it on weekends at home but not at school; or she can wear lip gloss but not lipstick; or something along those lines.
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    My mom let me when I was 14...but she reserved the right to make me wash it off if I looked like a clown lol:) I think I will prob take the same route with my daughter
  • texancountess
    Options
    My Mom took me for my first make up lesson and "make over" when I was 13. They taught me how to wear age appropriate make up at the store and I got to bring it all home. Much like getting my ears pierced at 9, this was a rite of passage in growing up that I fully appreciated.

It was also great to get tips from a pro on how to put on natural looking make up and that's still my go to look 13 years later.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I was experimenting around the age of 13... so I would say about then would be alright... I know at the age of 10, I begged my mom to put make up on my when we were celebrating my grandparents 40th anniversary and she put some on me.
  • capabledesire
    Options
    I allow my 5 year old I figure if they see you doing it and you tell them they can't it will cause them to get into it when you aren't looking or hide it from you in those preteen years. She has her own eye shadows and various lip things but bet she doesn't even put on any make up 98% of the time. Its mostly when she sees me add some lip gloss or something then she will ask if she can too.