Who Has A Garden?

Replies

• rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    ooooh now that a couple people have mentioned them, i want brussels sprouts! lol will have to see if i can find any
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    My daughter and I may attempt cucumbers and tomatoes this year. We started out some cucumbers one year but then put them outside and they died. :( I don't know if it was heat/sun or kids(or peoples roaming cats/dogs) that ruined it though. It seemed to do good inside just putting in window light. We do have a very very harsh sun.

try just planting seeds in ground...........some veggies don't "like" being transplanted!

Also, if you start the plants indoors it's best to harden them by putting them outdoors for a few hours a day for a few days before transplanting. The shock of going from a warm house straight to cool/cold spring night can kill some young plants.
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    I'm in Ohio too and just started some seeds for: Broccoli, Brussel Sprouts, Dill, Oregano, Garlic Chives. I'll also plant Tomatoes, Beans, Peppers, Swiss Chard, Kale, melons, onions, eggplant, and lots of other herbs. We have a small strawberry patch, and we'll be trying corn and potatoes for the first time this year. YAY FOR SPRING!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    What an amazingly overwhelming amount of responses already!! LOVE IT!!

I've got some GREAT new ideas thanks to everyone!

Does anyone else compost - since we are on the topic? We throw all veggie and fruit scraps into a garbage container and then put it in our garden. It was fun seeing some of the different plants we didnt plant POP UP!!

I don't have the room for composting where we are living now, but I plan to have compost heaps once we get the farm going .
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    UK and <
    I have two allotments! Ok, so that's two pictures of the same one, but we do have two!

Gonna be growing new pots, squash (several varieties), beetroot, 'snips, carrots, onions, garlic, shallots, kale, cabbages, calabrese, caulis, sweetcorn, asparagus, leeks, borlotti beans, runners, mange tout, tayberries, apples, quinces, red currants, goosegogs, black currants, rasps, rhubarb, spring greens and we're going to try and grow sweet potatoes this year as well.

I nearly forgot the greenhouses: toms, cucumbers, peppers, aubergines and courgettes!
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    lettuce does well in cooler weather, and I even plant mine in a big pot. Great for salads and sandwiches!
    I live in a townhouse but last year we did, cucumbers, tomatoes, lettuce, chives, green beans, blackberries, bell peppers, all kinds of herbs, and corn haha yea I said it, actually got a few ears of it too lol.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    My daughter and I may attempt cucumbers and tomatoes this year. We started out some cucumbers one year but then put them outside and they died. :( I don't know if it was heat/sun or kids(or peoples roaming cats/dogs) that ruined it though. It seemed to do good inside just putting in window light. We do have a very very harsh sun.

try just planting seeds in ground...........some veggies don't "like" being transplanted!

^ This, and if you start your plants indoors, you have to expose them to sunlight gradually. Just like when *you* first go out. The plants can get overexposed to the sun too!
  • s0ready
    s0ready Posts: 99
    we have a garden (3 acres) and we started prepping yesterday....
    we have:
    strawberries
    raspberries
    green beans
    pea (sugar anns and sugar snaps)
    baby red potaoes
    yukon gold potatoes
    sweet carrots
    green onions
    sweet onions (red and white)
    kholorabi
    swiss chard
    cucumbers (pickles)
    chinese eggplant
    spinach
    mixed (lettuce) greens
    turnips
    jalapeno peppers
    banana peppers
    green peppers
    hot chili peppers
    tomaotes
    cherry tomatoes
    radishes
    leeks
    basil
    cilantro
    mint
    i'm sure theres more, but seem to draw a blank....we sell in local farmers markets
  • BullDozier
    BullDozier Posts: 237 Member
    For those talking about composting, what do you need to start that? Also, is there much odor? Living in the burbs, I don't know if the neighbors would appreciate it, but I do have a deep lot to hide it in back if need be.
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    I have one I'm in zone ten this is only my second year with a veggie garden.

Herbs
    Basil
    Parsley
    Rosemary
    Tarragon
    Mint
    Oregano

Tomatoes
    Jalapenos
    Peppers
    Onions
    Romaine Lettuce

I've had no luck with Brussel Sprouts they grew and I let them get to big and yuk. Asparagus was a fail as was Corn on the cob, carrots and spinach. I planted the corn in the Summer so I think it was too hot.
    Someone told me plant squash in the summer it loves the heat.

I have strawberries when the critters don't get them first, and a Meyer Lemon tree which I'm not having luck with the fruit not dropping off. But I love the fact that I can eat what we grow.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Can't plant til June here in Montreal, but we will be planting basil, tomatoes, cucumber, bell peppers, zuchinni, radishes, and leaf lettuce. We have our raspberries, rubarb, and 3-season strawberries. Can't wait until the fresh season!

We used to compost until the skunk moved next door. Now we limit composting to stuff the skunk and racoons won't eat, like grass and leaves, and put the rest in the town's compost bins. Next spring we will go pick up a few buckets of composted soil at the town's garden day.
  • Hungry_Tuna
    Hungry_Tuna Posts: 361 Member
    Here's our balcony garden from last year in its earlier stages:
    oivmvp.jpg

I had tomatoes (hanging)
    Cilantro, flat Parsley, chives, rosemary, thyme, lemongrass, basil, dill, habaneros, other hot skinny red peppers, bell peppers, (not pictured, but in another hanging basket), cucumbers, and I could be missing a few. Mostly herbs and I'm still using them today! I cannot take the credit for all this... boyfriend planted them from seeds and has the green thumb in the house. I just watered them in the mornings and gave them their nutrients when he told me to.

The first harvest
    281915_2276543990963_1169617053_2817481_2116273_n.jpg

We're looking forward to planting again this year! It was fun, and I loved watching our balcony garden grow wild!
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    For those talking about composting, what do you need to start that? Also, is there much odor? Living in the burbs, I don't know if the neighbors would appreciate it, but I do have a deep lot to hide it in back if need be.

Dont know about other people, but we have a garbage can (the big ones) with a lid. Then we just toss in fruits and veggies ONLY. We have had zero problem with heavy odors or anything like that. We keep it covered all the time unless we are tossing stuff, of course :laugh:
  • Hungry_Tuna
    Hungry_Tuna Posts: 361 Member
    Aw, that first pic got cut off... it's ok. you get the idea. I don't have too much space to work with, but it's fantastic for herbs!
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    I'm doing container gardening this year, trying to find things and recycle. The most luck i've come along is pallets. I live in a rented townhouse and my "back" yard is a slab of concrete so no where to plant but above the ground. The pallets are slowly coming together but we have started out seeds. We are using cleaned out egg shells which are taking some time to gather. Between two people who eat eggs quite often we are having a hard time using enough for planting, so we have this idea to use paper towel and toilet paper tubes pack with dirt and start a seed and, slide it out once it' ready to go into it's container. So far we have 6- 5 gallon water jugs (they fell off of a truck onto a road by our house we picked up about 10, 6 were perfectly usable) So we have those attached to a pallet and are going to do
    -peppers: bell, jalapeno, anaheim, thai chilis, pablano.
    -We are also going to attempt to do some potatoes also, but haven't quite figure that out.
    - strawberries
    -atleast 15 herbs that are potted already
    -brussel sprouts
    -lima beans (bush)
    -snap peas
    -pole beans
    -beets
    -broccoli
    -cabbage
    -spinach
    -lettuce
    -tomatos
    -okra

I don't have to feed a whole family, just 2 of us, so this sounds like a lot but it's just so we can have loads of variety. I grew up with a HUGE garden but only ever grew4-5 crops, that annoys me :) Good luck to everyone this growing season!! I can't wait to see my garden in full bloom!
  • bademasi
    bademasi Posts: 180 Member
    I am planning my garden now too! My brother will help me get the soil ready. I am in the Pittsburgh area... same climate. I plan to plant banana peppers, tomatoes, zucchini and I already have strawberry plants, blueberry plants and rhubarb. I have to figure out if I plan to do other vegetables or not. Last year I had so many peppers... banana, green, sweet, cayenne,and jalapeños out the wazooo!! I also had those topsy turvy tomato plants hanging on the porch last year. I had yellow tomatoes in them.

12908857.png
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member

Also, if you start the plants indoors it's best to harden them by putting them outdoors for a few hours a day for a few days before transplanting. The shock of going from a warm house straight to cool/cold spring night can kill some young plants.

Where we are (UK), cucumbers we've grown seem to thrive in a humid heat offered by the greenhouse, especially in one of ours that has a lot of shade. Toms do grow well if moved outside, but may need introducing to the outside gradually (we start off by putting them outside during the day and moving them back in the g/house at night, we can still get a big temp drop in late spring, early summer), they're also susceptible to scorching, this can kill them off so be sure to water very early in the morning or in the evening, and without the constant humidity of a g/house, I think the air can dry out the soil they're in easier, so may need more watering. :-)
  • katy84o
    I have one I'm in zone ten this is only my second year with a veggie garden.

Herbs
    Basil
    Parsley
    Rosemary
    Tarragon
    Mint
    Oregano

Tomatoes
    Jalapenos
    Peppers
    Onions
    Romaine Lettuce

I've had no luck with Brussel Sprouts they grew and I let them get to big and yuk. Asparagus was a fail as was Corn on the cob, carrots and spinach. I planted the corn in the Summer so I think it was too hot.
    Someone told me plant squash in the summer it loves the heat.

I have strawberries when the critters don't get them first, and a Meyer Lemon tree which I'm not having luck with the fruit not dropping off. But I love the fact that I can eat what we grow.

Asparagus needs two years before you can harvest. I haven't done asparagus but this is what I have read. Was that why it failed? You said it was your second so maybe that's why you say your asparagus failed because this year it would be ready to harvest?
  • katy84o

Dont know about other people, but we have a garbage can (the big ones) with a lid. Then we just toss in fruits and veggies ONLY. We have had zero problem with heavy odors or anything like that. We keep it covered all the time unless we are tossing stuff, of course :laugh:

I have a spin bin. I like it because you can have compost ready in 3 weeks. But for odors you won't have a problem if you keep the right ratio of nitrogen to carbon. Nitrogen is the food scraps, and the carbon is dead leaves, dead grass things like that. And also odor can be caused by getting to wet. But composting is fairly easy, and it something does start to go wrong its easily fixed. So if it starts to smell, add some dried or dead leaves or grass, and try to keep it from getting super wet if its open you can always throw a tarp on it during the super rainy times.
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    we have a garden (3 acres) and we started prepping yesterday....
    we have:
    strawberries
    raspberries
    green beans
    pea (sugar anns and sugar snaps)
    baby red potaoes
    yukon gold potatoes
    sweet carrots
    green onions
    sweet onions (red and white)
    kholorabi
    swiss chard
    cucumbers (pickles)
    chinese eggplant
    spinach
    mixed (lettuce) greens
    turnips
    jalapeno peppers
    banana peppers
    green peppers
    hot chili peppers
    tomaotes
    cherry tomatoes
    radishes
    leeks
    basil
    cilantro
    mint
    i'm sure theres more, but seem to draw a blank....we sell in local farmers markets

Have you had success at the farmers market? We're considering doing it as well. Do you find that the stardard items, like potatoes, tomatoes, cucumbers are the most popular, or the "different" items, like eggplant?