how do i know if i am loosing fat or muscle and i cant seem

My scale is supposed to be able to tell me if I am looking fat or not. But I figure out how to work that part of it.
And I am having a very hard time eating my calorie goal.
My diet is mostly raw fruits and veggies, berries nuts and seeds. ( some times canned if I can't get to the store.) I drink water or milk mostly almond but also cocoa nut, rice, soy. I eat rolled oats some times rice crispies or shredded wheat.
For junk food there is veggie chips or straws Quaker rice snacks and I dip them in hummus.

That is what ny diet consists of. I eat when I get up and I dont go hungry during the day. I eat usually 4 times a day and I can't seem to eat to my goal. Most day it is about 1100- 1200.

I am looking weight now but I don't want it to just be water and muscle ( I really font want to loose any muscle.) I have a lot of fat on me and it needs to go.

Replies

• tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    That's where exercise kicks in.
  • haleighallen
    haleighallen Posts: 209 Member
    Make sure to get enough protein for your body and do strength training. If you force your body to put it's muscles to work, your body will not destroy the muscle it has because it will think it needs it to "survive."
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    My scale is supposed to be able to tell me if I am looking fat or not. But I figure out how to work that part of it.

Scales are incredibly inaccurate at guessing body fat. Mine said I had 35% and my boyfriend had 32% (when in reality I have 21% and he is 10%)

Get measured with a body fat caliper. Gyms have them and doctor will as well. I bought one on ebay that works very well for only 20 bucks.

Add in some exercise, and more importantly strength training, in order to maintain your muscle mass.
  • bluemorpho1247
    bluemorpho1247 Posts: 300 Member
    GO TO BOOTS!! they have scales there that measure your fat %, that way you can see if you are losing fat! its 70p
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    It sounds like you need a lot more protein and some strength training.
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Get measured with a body fat caliper. Gyms have them and doctor will as well. I bought one on ebay that works very well for only 20 bucks.

Which one did you get? I have been shopping around for one, but I dont have a lot of people to ask as many people I know do not purchase these - it seems.
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Weight Training and Protein Shakes will probably be a huge help to you so you dont lose muscle. Also, the more muscle you build, the more your metabolism kicks in during rest (IE anytime you arent working out).
  • icnee
    icnee Posts: 7
    Weight Training and Protein Shakes will probably be a huge help to you so you dont lose muscle. Also, the more muscle you build, the more your metabolism kicks in during rest (IE anytime you arent working out).

I will defiantly add more protein a start doing strength training. That is good to know about the metabolism, thanks.

I guess I forgot to mention that I do exercise too. I walk usually with my 35lb son on my back, I do stairs walking up steep hills and jumping jacks. And I run around out side playing with my kids.

Is 1100 - 1200 cals ok or should I be eating more?
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member

I will defiantly add more protein a start doing strength training. That is good to know about the metabolism, thanks.

I guess I forgot to mention that I do exercise too. I walk usually with my 35lb son on my back, I do stairs walking up steep hills and jumping jacks. And I run around out side playing with my kids.

Is 1100 - 1200 cals ok or should I be eating more?

You should probably be eating more. 1200 calories isn't enough for a lot of people. Make sure you're either logging your exercise or that you have your activity level set to at least lightly active.