Gym & PT for someone obese

Options
andeey
andeey Posts: 709 Member
Back story: Been overweight my whole life that turned into obese (275). Have tried a zillion diets and have had various successes in the past, but I could never get a good "diet/exercise" program into habit to keep it off.

Now: Went on a doctor supervised "ketosis" diet and lost 12 pounds in as many days, but I'm finding it too rigid and I know not sustainable in the long-run, so I'm interested in going to a "healthy eating/exercise" program instead.

Problem: Since I'm obese and suffer from low self esteem, the thought of going into a gym freaks me out, yet I know it will probably be the most effective way for me to keep an exercise program going and would benefit from a personal trainer to show me the basics. I'm looking for suggestions on how to find a good PT and gym that won't make me feel like an idiot for trying to get in shape. Please don't tell me to just "ignore" people or "get over it" ... logically, I know that, but emotionally, it prevents me from joining. Think fat kid in high school gym class being laughed at by everyone fear. I have a Mountainside Fitness in the area, and a Curves.

Suggestions?

Replies

• kgarman
    kgarman Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I use to have the same fear about going to a gym. Then I realized 99% of the people there don't pay any attention to me or what I'm doing. It's like a switch flipped and I just didn't care...

By the way, I did a similar diet. msg me and I can fill you in on the experience, the before, during, and after....
  • acpgranberg
    acpgranberg Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I hate the gym too and if I hate something, I know I generally am not going to do it even if I've dropped a lot of cash on it. I have a library of good exercise DVDs that I put a lot of research into before I buy. I lost 30lbs that way. Just a thought.
  • keependuring
    keependuring Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Walking is great!! Walk for 30-50 minutes 6 days a week at at a compulsory rate.
  • vancil01
    vancil01 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    There are less popular gyms you might want to check out, like Planet Fitness, Spunk, or even Curves, that might suit your needs. Maybe try an express version of a bigger gym, usually they have less traffic. My wife and I go to the Merritt Athletic Club 24 hour and for one it is never busy in there and when it is, everyone only pays attention to what they are doing. I love going to the gym, listen to music and just zone out of the world for a bit, zoning into my gym work. Also personal trainers are a great idea to get you started!
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I'm in pretty much the same situation. How much space do you have to work with?

I'm currently in a somewhat smallish apartment (no garage or basement, etc), so in the interest of saving space, I started with a good swiss ball (with like a 550 pound weight limit) and a set of Power Blocks, which are adjustable dumbells that go from 5 to 90 pounds (or 50, depending on which ones you buy). That was fairly inexpensive and gave me enough equipment to do some basic strength training (you can use the ball as a "bench" to do presses, plus use it for ab exercises), but is somewhat limited by only having 100 or 180 pounds of maximum weight. Things like squats exceed that fairly fast.

If you have the space and cash for it, it seems like a barbell, bench and power rack are the way to go. I'm about to move into a new house this weekend with a garage, and am planning to pick up that gear fairly soon, then start doing the StrongLifts 5x5 program.

As for cardio, you can get cardio anywhere. If you really want to do that in your home, you can get a bike, treadmill or elliptical, whatever floats your boat. I prefer to just go outside and take a walk for that type of exercise, though.

Edit: Oops, I misread this and thought you were asking about training at home. When I lived in Massachusetts a few years ago, I worked out with personal trainers at a place called "Fitness Together". They had a private studio with cardio and strength equipment. You might be able to find something similar where you live.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    I hate the gym too and if I hate something, I know I generally am not going to do it even if I've dropped a lot of cash on it. I have a library of good exercise DVDs that I put a lot of research into before I buy. I lost 30lbs that way. Just a thought.

This. I wouldn't put myself through unnecessary stress. Maybe you can start with workout DVDs and walking around the neighborhood and give yourself a gym membership as a reward when you feel confident enough to join.
  • AlliecoreXX
    AlliecoreXX Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Why not research independant personal trainers and see if any of them would be willing to come to your home? That's what I'm planning on doing once I'm certified and independant. Trust me, fitness professionals understand that not everyone is ready to exercise in a public environment. There are hundreds of things that can be done to achieve fitness in the privacy of your own home. :)
  • DrPepperLeigh74
    DrPepperLeigh74 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I started out last summer walking up and down my driveway for 20 minutes and gradually increased the time, I also bought an exercise bike and added that. I have several dvd's 30 day shred, Leslie Sansone walking, Billy Blanks Tae Bo. The bike and dvd's came fom Wal-mart. Start out slow and work your way up!!! You can do this!!!!
  • linda1243
    linda1243 Posts: 166
    Options
    find a gym where people are actually working out (sweating). You will walk into some gyms and you will see people lounging around looking pretty. If you find a gym where people are really working you will not be as self-conscience. I had issues when i first started going but the people at my gym are so into their routines that they barely notice me. I am a pretty big girl and some of the muscle heads have even helped me and showed me how to use a machine. It's like we are all working for a common goal and I think that helps.

Also, when i got a trainer i was terrified because i am really out of shape and I get embarrassed that a couple of pants put me into exhaustion and i get all red and huffy and puffy. So i told the guy at the gym that i wanted a female trainer and someone who is nice and motivating. I told him that it was going to take me a while to get to the point where i could walk up stairs without wanting to die so i needed someone with patience. I love my trainer. she makes me feel comfortable even when i am doing the stupidest looking exercises. Just be honest with want you want and don't be afraid to change people if someone isn't working out.
  • amyy902
    amyy902 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    if you need a PT get on reps and see in your area register and insured PTs :) going to the gym is hard work if youre unconfident, im a PT and work in a gym, and without sounding rude, near enough every 4th person is obeese. theres 5000members at my gym, and to be honest truthfully noone in the gym really cares what anyone else is doing, its a selfish place really. but if you dont want to go but want a PT search REPS.

and never feel like its silly what youre doing, i do squats in frount of people, over 100 people a week see me squat... WOW
  • akjmart2002
    akjmart2002 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    It can also help to plan a workout before going to the gym. Giving yourself a "recipe" to follow and popping in the headphones can help you tune out the rest of the world while you are there. Just remember that many of the in-shape folks in a gym only got that way because they overcame their trepidation and continued going.

And really, no one is looking at you.
  • kbw414
    kbw414 Posts: 194
    Options
    What about going to the gym with a partner or a friend? It would make the experience more enjoyable for you and you might feel less self-conscious. Do you have someone you'd like to join you?

When I joined a gym, my husband did too and we motivated each other. It became a nice way to spend time together.
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    you can try to schedule gym time during off peak hours. I had this problem for a while until I made friends and found out the people that were looking were staring because they were happy to see a big guy in there working my *kitten* off. Now even though I still have a ways to go I'm on the other side seeing new people come in and get praise for coming in and making an effort for change. theirs always scoffers but they are few, and they don't matter. but until your comfortable. find a small gym or one that isn't busy when you can go.

that's my opinion anyhoo

btw I'm considered morbidly obese being 6 ft weighing 342 lbs
  • Kissybiz
    Kissybiz Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same fear of gyms and of really being seeing walking on a walking/running path outside. Intimidated by fit people. Like they were the enemy or something.

This past December I just decided, to hell with it, I'm gonna get a gym membership and hire a personal trainer, because I have a ton of videos and I'm not using them, and what I needed was motivation and someone to be accountable to or I knew I'd backslide and not do the work.

I was nervous as hell the first day and so out of shape that I could barely get on the stationary bike because my legs were so tight I couldn't hike my leg over the seat, much less ride it for more than 5 minutes! The trainer weighed me in my first day at a whopping 327 lbs! I was totally mortified! But I was proud of myself for being there.. and I knew each day I'd get better.

Three months later, I've lost about 30 lbs. I ride the bike an hour at a time.. I work out every day.. and I'm loving the gym. I even swim there.. and I'm no bathing beauty! The truth is.. nobody cares what you look like! People in there are into their workouts.. and to be honest.. I've been an inspiration to some because I'm always in there sweating and moving to get this fat off. Lately some have even commented I'm looking good.. so that's a good thing.

So.. don't let your fear get in the way of doing what's best for you. You'll find you become empowered and proud of yourself for doing it... every day.. one day at a time.
  • howeclectic
    howeclectic Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    This might not be the way to go... but maybe you want to stick to a diet and forgo the exercise for now? Changing your diet is a huge change. Exercise is a huge change too. Its very hard to make changes that big in your life all at once. Exercise often causes a delay in weight loss (EVERY time i start a new exercise routine my weight loss stalls for a few weeks as my body adapts). I would focus exclusively on your diet for a few months and drop some weight. Once you get the compliments coming and get your self esteem higher I would consider the gym and prepare for perhaps an adjustment period where the results wont be measurable on a scale (but measurable with a tape measure).

If you decide to add workouts to your routine... you might want to skip the personal trainer. You really don't need weights or any fancy techniques. Just start out at a walking effort level on your cardio equipment of choice. start out 2 days a week 20 mins. Increase it week by week to 5 days a week. Increase your time from 20 to 30 then 40 over the same period of weeks gradually. Once you get a base fitness established then you might consider a PT. Right now... your goal should be just establishing a routine and getting a basic cardio base established. Baby steps!
  • andeey
    andeey Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone - lots of great suggestions and I appreciate the supportive and helpful tone and no "Judgy McJudgerton" from anyone. I'll mull over the information and come up with a plan of attack. Cheers!
  • PeaceCorpsKat
    PeaceCorpsKat Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I am with you babe, Obese since birth, various ups and downs...

When I did join a gym for the first time, after losing 80 lbs, I had a personal trainer come up to me telling me that I should lose another 80 - would BTW would put me below the wieght i should be at - in fact, well into anorexia teritory.

I quit that gym that week.

I then joined the Peace Corps and gained all the wieght back :(

I find many personal trainers difficult. Many have no medical background and look down on overweight people.

THe best gym I ever went to was a famous gay gym in Philly. It was awesome. it felt like home. All of the personal trainers were just amazing people. When I was training for a marathon more than one came up to me and just said "damn your legs are serious!"

They made me want to continuing working out and not run inside an hide.

You do what you feel comfortable with. Add some friends on MFP - feel free to add me - and ask them to keep you accountable. Set fitness goals for yourself and rewards (nonfood) for making them.

Good luck
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    There are health clubs here that are affiliated with hospitals, and specialize in providing services to patients with a variety of ailments. I'd seek out a health club that has a professional attitude and family atmosphere, and take a tour when it's busy. See how many people are older and/or out of shape there. Check out the intimidation factor ... is it a place where you could be comfortable? Make sure you look for a PT who is professionally certified ... there are PTs who specialize in weight management. I've worked with a PT for a year now, and I looked for someone who was experienced with working with older clients with medical issues, and someone certified who had a college-level education in exercise physiology. Remember, you're paying this person, and you have a right to ask him/her about his/her resume.

I personally need to go to a gym ... being around other people is reinforcing for me. But a lot of people prefer working out at home. You're the only one who could determine what's best for you.
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Try a local YMCA. Many are well equipped. There are often programs for older people, and people that aren't exactly fitness buffs. I see morbidly obese people all the time there and don't give a second thought to it.