When is best to eat/workout?

Options
I want to know if it is good to eat before working out or after? Or if you should only consume certain types of foods before working out? Your comments will be appreciated!:smile:

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    This was discussed in another thread this morning. :smile: There are opposing views on the benefits or harm of working out on an empty stomach, but whatever works best for you. Personally, I get up at 5:15 and usually start my workout within 20 minutes, not enough time to eat something and not feel queasy during my workout. When I'm done (average 40 minutes) I have a glass of chocolate milk, get my kid to school, and eat breakfast when I get home.

On days that I run, like today, I do a shorter morning workout on an empty stomach, and when I get back from dropping the kid at school, I have a bowl of oatmeal with bananas & honey. I wait an hour or hour and half and then run - seems to fuel me well for that. Then I eat my "real" breakfast when I get back.

If I didn't do that first workout so early, I'd probably eat something beforehand, but if I don't get it done early it doesn't usually happen.
  • sallywilson06
    sallywilson06 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your help.. I was just wondering if it would be better if I ate lite before I workout at night because I don't want to come home from working out and pig out because I am starving once I get done.
  • Taylerr88
    Taylerr88 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    you can eat whenever you want as long as you hit your daily macros.. the only meal i would say is a must for me is my post workout about 1hour - 45 minutes before a workout.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,997 Member
    Options
    you can eat whenever you want as long as you hit your daily macros.. the only meal i would say is a must for me is my post workout about 1hour - 45 minutes before a workout.

^^This

Eat when you want. I always eat an hour or so before, and then an hour or so after.