Why do People Misuse the Oxford Comma?

Options

Replies

• KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I was taught this, this, and this. My brain does this, this and this. Even after reading this I still do not know which is right, but I am extremely hungry and can't concentrate.

When I was in 6th grade, my teacher said that it was changed so both are correct. I tend to do the first one, though.
    Honestly, I prefer to use run-on sentences with a lot of commas. I don't know why, I just love commas, I guess, so maybe that's why I prefer to use the first example.
  • bbbgamer
    bbbgamer Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I find myself spending way too much time reading this post. This is weird....... I just cant stop! Of course I am easily distracted by strippers...
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    It bugs me when the final comma is not used. It makes the sentence look incomplete, naked and just wrong.
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    Either way, JFK and Stalin aren't going to show up.

But, where are the strippers?! I want strippers!!
  • danoprince
    Options
    Well, played.
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    The serial comma (also known as the Oxford comma or Harvard comma, and sometimes referred to as the series comma) is the comma used immediately before a coordinating conjunction (usually and or or, and sometimes nor) preceding the final item in a list of three or more items. For example, a list of three countries can be punctuated as either "Portugal, Spain, and France" (with the serial comma) or as "Portugal, Spain and France" (without the serial comma).[1][2][3]

Opinions vary among writers and editors on the usage or avoidance of the serial comma. In American English, the serial comma is standard usage in non-journalistic writing that follows the Chicago Manual of Style.[4] Journalists, however, usually follow the AP Stylebook, which advises against it. It is used less often in British English,[5][6] where it is standard usage to leave it out, with some notable exceptions such as Fowler's Modern English Usage.[7] In many languages (e.g. Danish,[8] French,[9] German,[10] Greek,[11] Italian,[12] Polish,[13] Spanish[14]) the serial comma is not the norm and may even go against punctuation rules. It may be recommended in many cases, however, to avoid ambiguity or to aid prosody.

You're married, aren't you?
  • sheryllamb72
    sheryllamb72 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    'Let's eat Grandma!' or, 'Let's eat, Grandma!'

Punctuation saves lives.

???????????????????????????

LOL at this ^^^^^^ :laugh:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    It bugs me when the final comma is not used. It makes the sentence look incomplete, naked and just wrong.

You forgot the comma after naked!!!!!!

It bugs me when the final comma is not used. It makes the sentence look incomplete, naked, and just wrong.
  • bbbgamer
    bbbgamer Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I do use the Oxford comma, but it's not standard use in the UK. I occasionally worry that I'll get penalised for it in essays but, you know, **** the system and all that.

What you should really be complaining about is the horrible use of the comma splice! =P.

You had me at "I'll get penalised"......
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    I'm calling you my boyfriend and there is nothing you can do about it. :flowerforyou:

I'll send you my list of demands

And suddenly this is a hostage crisis.

just because there is a hostage, doesn't mean there is a crisis....
  • Bermudabarbie
    Bermudabarbie Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Although I graduated with honors from one of the Nation's most prominent Journalism schools, I'm still trying to figure out Twitter. Please excuse me while I try to relate to the century that we live in. Transitioning is not always easy.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lnxzjwla6Y1qbulvco1_500.png
  • cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I'm still waiting for the practical application of sentence diagraming, in my day to day life. This is all beyond my comprehension....
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Hunh. I never use the Oxford comma because I remember learing that it was completely optional to use it. Now I see the difference. Thanks.

I'll probably still use it wrong. I basically just throw commas in where I think they can go. And apostrophes too. Had to fight the urge to use two already, no idea if I'm right or not.
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    Either way, JFK and Stalin aren't going to show up.
    Word.

And come on - people struggle with spelling lose and loose correctly here. They can't even tell you where Oxford is, never mind why they misuse its comma.

this...I'm a pretty good speller, but I throw punctuation around like confetti and glitter!!!!
  • acoons1990
    Options
    I am so in love with this entire thread. Thank you, people of MFP. You have made my afternoon! :)
  • cookieta76
    cookieta76 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hmm. I was taught that the "and" or "or" took place of that comma. To this day I never use it! Right or wrong, I like being the grammatical rebel.
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Hunh. I never use the Oxford comma because I remember learing that it was completely optional to use it. Now I see the difference. Thanks.

I'll probably still use it wrong. I basically just throw commas in where I think they can go. And apostrophes too. Had to fight the urge to use two already, no idea if I'm right or not.

Such refreshing honesty! :laugh:
  • cookieta76
    cookieta76 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I thought diagramming sentences was fun!