Running -

Options
Hi! :)

Sooo.. what is the best way to start running? How many days a week? Any sugestions of a running program?

Thank you so much :D

Replies

• kgarman
    kgarman Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    C25k. Get fitted for proper shoes from an actual running store.
  • trysha1231
    trysha1231 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Yup! Couch to 5K is the way to go.
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options

THIS!

When I started running I just grabbed some cheap shoes at TJMaxx and it was a huge mistake! I love my running shoes now!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I am loving the c25k program. I'm on week 7 and ran 2.5 miles today in 25 minutes, something I definitely couldn't have done 7 weeks ago! Check it out online, download an app if you've got a smart phone. You run 3 days a week, alternating running & walking, gradually increasing the running each week. I love it!
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone's post so far. I did not know about c25k but I just started joggin slowly for a block, walk fast for a block and I continued this til I could do jog 2 block, walk 1 and now I can jog a full mile 1/2 without stopping.......it totally gets easier just don't give up! Also get the right accessories, good shoes and comfortable clothing makes all the difference!
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options

THIS!

When I started running I just grabbed some cheap shoes at TJMaxx and it was a huge mistake! I love my running shoes now!

Which shoes did you end up with that you love? I have Nb and love em but any suggestions would help!
  • Reckabek
    Reckabek Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    C25k
  • TaniaMcCormick
    TaniaMcCormick Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    http://www.c25k.com/

This one? I've started this program this week, luckly it's the one you're all recomending :D Thank you!

I've done the big mistake of trying to run two days on a row though... it was painful :P
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I wish I had known about c25k when I started running last year.

It's a great program. I've got my sister using it.

I can run 5k easy now. I'm using b210k (bridge to 10km), which obviously helps you to get to 10k.

good luck.
  • Fit4Evolution
    Fit4Evolution Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    i just started a month ago.. i have a schedule i follow now . check out this site download the pdf 10 weeks to your first 5k at
    www.competitor.com/5kblaster
    I am on week 4 now .. and making lots of progress
  • Tim249
    Tim249 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Here's the c25k site (though there are many others with the information) http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

And the apps (or podcasts, if you don't have a smartphone) are really helpful. I'm also on week 7 and couldn't imagine running 2.5 miles nonstop when I started out.

As was mentioned, get proper shoes from a real running store. About 3 weeks in I thought I might have to stop until I lost a little more weight, but I went ahead and bought good shoes and they all but "cured" my shin splits and aching joints. Don't just buy a pair of running shoes from an average sporting goods store--take the time to go to a runner's store for sure! (they should do a quick video analysis of your running gait free of charge to help recommend the right shoe)

There is a C25K group here at MFP, and a page on Facebook. And coolrunning.com had a nice community as well. Lots of support out there!
  • Shelbe71
    Shelbe71 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I done my first run today using the Couch To 5K app. I never thought I would ever go running, can't wait until Saturday for my next run.

Good luck
  • TaniaMcCormick
    Options

I'm going to have a look, thank you :D
  • TaniaMcCormick
    Options
    Here's the c25k site (though there are many others with the information) http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

And the apps (or podcasts, if you don't have a smartphone) are really helpful. I'm also on week 7 and couldn't imagine running 2.5 miles nonstop when I started out.

As was mentioned, get proper shoes from a real running store. About 3 weeks in I thought I might have to stop until I lost a little more weight, but I went ahead and bought good shoes and they all but "cured" my shin splits and aching joints. Don't just buy a pair of running shoes from an average sporting goods store--take the time to go to a runner's store for sure! (they should do a quick video analysis of your running gait free of charge to help recommend the right shoe)

There is a C25K group here at MFP, and a page on Facebook. And coolrunning.com had a nice community as well. Lots of support out there!

where can I dowload the app? :) I've got some comfortable shoes :D
  • CrazyHedgehog
    CrazyHedgehog Posts: 30 Member
    Options

THIS!!!! OMG, keep trying the C25K on and off, but keep stopping because of my shins.... just thought it was because I was fat!! :noway: It never occurred to me that it was my trainers? only problem is, I live in North Wales, UK, and have never heard of a dedicated running store?? I will try and by at least running trainers now though... Many thanks.:smile:
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options

This over and over! I'm on week 4 but actually ran/walked my first 5k last sunday! It's definitely the way to go!
  • nicholjenny
    nicholjenny Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    The Ryka Ultimate Running shoes are fantastic!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options

This is great advice. I world just add - run slowly, build up endurance first, speed can came later.
  • Reckabek
    Reckabek Posts: 487 Member
    Options

THIS!!!! OMG, keep trying the C25K on and off, but keep stopping because of my shins.... just thought it was because I was fat!! :noway: It never occurred to me that it was my trainers? only problem is, I live in North Wales, UK, and have never heard of a dedicated running store?? I will try and by at least running trainers now though... Many thanks.:smile:

I know the closest running store to me is hours away!