WARNING: scanning food with the Iphone

Options
dlpnrn2b
dlpnrn2b Posts: 441 Member
OK, I really never paid close attention to this before ,I would just scan and add BUT this morning I had a 30 calories V8 juice and was driving so I decided to scan the can....well it did not even come up as cambell's V8 Juice....it came up as a minute made drink that was 130 calories??? I am a little irritated about it but not so much as to cause drama just wanted to warn all of you who quick scan your foods into MFP to check and make sure its correct :)

Replies

• craignev
    craignev Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    It's not happened too often but I've noticed a few scanning glitches too.
  • MaryAnne0210
    MaryAnne0210 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info... I haven't started using that feature but I had downloaded the app.. I try to double check things anyway but this makes me wanna make sure I'm not just guessing! Thanks!!!:smile::smile:
  • clemmberry
    clemmberry Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing - I tried to scan in Kosher Dill Pickles which were a grocery store brand and it came up as their brand of hamburger rolls. I obviously knew that it was not the right product but it does happen.

Keep up with the good work :smile:
  • char982
    char982 Posts: 21
    Options
    Don't update your food diary while driving! It's important but not urgent :-)
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    you can scan barcode of food into MFP iphone app? does this work in UK? also what happens if its a packet of something and you only had half or quarter wouldn't scanning the barcode just log the full amount?
  • heberlonghurst
    Options
    Can you also scan food with the blackberry app?
  • J3SSP3NNY
    J3SSP3NNY Posts: 235
    Options
    Last night I scanned a can of soup and it came up as an orange! lol
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options

This. A friend of mine is in the ICU right now after being hit by a car. Driver was texting..... :mad:
  • dlpnrn2b
    Options

very true!!
  • Butterfly3730
    Options

THIS!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • charneus
    charneus Posts: 66
    Options
    It scans the information for the package, which, if I'm not mistaken, has the serving sizes and whatnot on it. I need to start doing that myself, though. Not sure if it works in the UK, but I don't see why not.

Also, you kind of have to question... if it's coming up as different stuff when you scan it, are the stores scanning it correctly, then? Did you pay for their pickles, or for the buns? Did you pay for the V8, or the Minute Maid drink?

Curious...
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Hahaha you're are so correct, it will wait, you are not likely to forget. At least pull over or wait until you're at a red light. :)
  • chunk1691
    chunk1691 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    hi, yes it does work in the uk, and you can alter the serving amount, i.e instead of 100g you can change it to 50g, its very good. not noticed any mistakes yet.
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    you can scan barcode of food into MFP iphone app? does this work in UK? also what happens if its a packet of something and you only had half or quarter wouldn't scanning the barcode just log the full amount?
    you scan barcode and then select 0.5 of a serving, just like you do on here if you eat half a bag of something
  • dlpnrn2b
    Options

I am unaware of where all it is available at but you scan the item then put in the portion of the serving you have eaten..
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I've found numerous glitches in the scanning app...calories are off, serving sizes are off.

You can correct it...in the computer, can't do it in your phone. :mad:
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Also, you kind of have to question... if it's coming up as different stuff when you scan it, are the stores scanning it correctly, then? Did you pay for their pickles, or for the buns? Did you pay for the V8, or the Minute Maid drink?

Curious...

Good Question, check those receipts.
  • joyce1129
    joyce1129 Posts: 62 Member
    Options

Once the scan is complete you can adjust the serving size. If the full package is 1 serving and you only ate half, you can change the serving size to 0.5 and then log it. I don't know if your phone will allow adjustment, but you can adjust it via computer.
  • MrsR0SE
    MrsR0SE Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Yes, it works here, and you can choose the portion size when it comes up with the product information:smile:
  • bstoetzer
    bstoetzer Posts: 96
    Options

Once you've scanned the item in, go to diary and adjust the serving size. I do it all the time. Like the OP said, you need to make sure the item scanned in correctly, but it's a great feature.