Candida diet / IBS

Options
drift
drift Posts: 143 Member
Am finding some anecdotal evidence that links IBS flare ups to candida/thrush although it's not clear if the candida overgrowth is a cause or an effect of the IBS.

Anyone have experience of a diet without yeast and sugar, as a bread and chocolate fan I wonder how manageable it would be for me... Although I am finding the IBS incapacitating so am willing to try, if I hear positive experiences of outcomes

Thanks for your responses, positive or negative...

Replies

• joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Hi I followed this diet for about 6 weeks it was tough and eating out was impossible but the diet itself achievable. i was also advised to cut out caffeine, dairy, mushrooms and all alcohol. The first week i felt very ill probably as a result of caffeine withdrawal. I really missed fruit and so gave it up. the diet needs to be followed for at least 18 months to be effective and that wasn,t really an option for me. I then had food intolorance testing done and was found to be intolerant to gluten/wheat, dairy and eggs. i cut these out for 8 months and although i ate very well and didn,t really miss anything (there are some very good substitutions out there) the diet was expensive to follow and again eating out was tricky as the slightest bit of the food would spark up a reaction.
    My symptoms were IBS and severe candida. the candida is still a major problem but the IBS is OK if i eat healthily. These days I just eat healthily but try not to eat refined sugar. I have a friend who has been the anti candida diet for years and has no problem following it. Hope this helps. Erica Whites Anti candida cookbook is a good read and may help.
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Am finding some anecdotal evidence that links IBS flare ups to candida/thrush although it's not clear if the candida overgrowth is a cause or an effect of the IBS.

Anyone have experience of a diet without yeast and sugar, as a bread and chocolate fan I wonder how manageable it would be for me... Although I am finding the IBS incapacitating so am willing to try, if I hear positive experiences of outcomes

Thanks for your responses, positive or negative...
    interesting, I've never heard of that but i love MFP because i was able to figure out that bread does give me IBS flare ups, so i removed them from my diet.
    The good news was that flat bread(with no yeast, only baking powder or baking soda) didn't bother me at all.
  • R_is_for_Rachel
    R_is_for_Rachel Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    never knew there was a link between IBS and thrush but i guess it makes sense
    with IBS, i think you have to learn what irritates your stomach -i personally rarely touch alcohol or dairy as they are my worst triggers.
    re the candida -i found having the implant in my arm has helped loads with that as i barely have a time of the month anymore and that always brought on an attack
  • drift
    drift Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    @meissastar thanks for your input - my ibs flare ups seem to be hormonal ly triggered rather than food/alcohol - at the start of the progesterone phase or at least I haven't been able to identify a trigger food

@llfp thanks pitta and flatbreads could help

@joy yeah, I'd struggle to do five a day with no fruit - will take more evidence to convince me to give it up
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    @meissastar thanks for your input - my ibs flare ups seem to be hormonal ly triggered rather than food/alcohol - at the start of the progesterone phase or at least I haven't been able to identify a trigger food

@llfp thanks pitta and flatbreads could help

@joy yeah, I'd struggle to do five a day with no fruit - will take more evidence to convince me to give it up

Oops i forgot, I also had to cut out carrots, corn, bananas, coffee, pop, & most dairy (I still have activia yogurt & Protien shakes but I always take 2 gas ex tablets. And pleanty of water)

Citrus fruits don't bother me at all and I can eat pineapple & apple with no problem.