Struggling with the change during the first week.

Options
I made a decision back in September that I needed to make a change. I've had a gym membership off & on for almost 4 years but really started to utilize it a little over a year ago. I'm currently 70lbs overweight & I'm just tired of being out of shape. I invested a lot of money in a personal trainer & it was embarassing & hard the first few sessions. But it's been worth it because I'm more confident in the gym when I go on my own. On the flip side, I have greatly struggled to get my eating habits in line. I knew I needed to cut calories & make better food choices. My eating habits were affecting my progress in the sense that I was working off enough calories at the gym to maintain my current weight. So I felt stuck in the same place. My trainer had given me the information to this site, but I kind of set it aside & forgot about it. After months of not making progress & my mom hounding me to join weightwatchers, I decided to give this a try. So far, I'm very impressed with the site itself. Love how easy it is to track your food intake & workouts. The thing that's really hard for me this first week is the massive calorie drop. What the site has calculated for me is very reasonable, I'm 5'1 & given 1440 calories per day. Plus, I like how they give you the back calories based on what you burned during your cardio workout. However, this week was very difficult for me to get into the gym, I have a 3 year old daughter & work (4) 10 hour overnight shifts. So I've been doing good the last few days & sticking as close to the 1440 calories I'm given, but I feel like I'm ALWAYS hungry. My meals are between 300 & 450 calories, & I snack on really low calories foods inbetween. But I feel like I need to eat something every couple of hours. It's not really discouraging, but it's frustrating because I have a hard time keeping myself full. I don't plan on going back to my old eating habits, I just need for my body to adjust.

Replies

• ohtobe2
    ohtobe2 Posts: 43
    Options
    I find the first 2-3 weeks the worst. After that, my body gets used to having less in my stomach. I think it is a lot of mind over matter as well. I would suggest eat small amounts every couple of hours until your body gets used to it. It does get easier... honest!
  • arnie900
    arnie900 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You sound like me with the meal sizes and snacking and still hungry (I'm hungry as I type this, but I've already planned out my dinner and I know I can't snack if I want to eat what's in the Crock Pot at home). But it will get easier. Your body is being thrown off its regular schedule and it's fighting you. You'll adjust. Stick to what you're doing; keep going to the gym not just to lose weight but to be healthy and strong! Stick with the program and you will definitely see a change. And once you see that change, you won't want to go back to your old habits. Just think of how hard you've worked and how much of a difference it's made. You'll hit your goal in a year and you'll never have to look back. And think what a good example you'll be setting for your daughter! Good luck and stay strong!
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    The first week is the hardest!!! If you are starving you may was to ease into it by changing your goals for a few weeks.

Like, if you are set to a 2lb per week loss that means that you have 1000 calorie defict and that IS a big drop!!

Maybe set it to .5lb the first week then 1lb the 2nd week then 1.5 the 3rd etc.

If you are on the lowest deficit, I would suggest to load up you plate with veggies on most meals!! I notice if I have 2 cups of broccoli with my dinner I don't want to eat for the rest of the night. lol

It does get easier, once you figure out your rhythm, you will be set!!!

Good luck!!
  • MzMandi1025
    MzMandi1025 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for replying, the advice & support is much appreciated! I did a slight adjustment to my weekly weight loss, so I moved it from 2lbs to 1 1/2 lbs. It gives me an extra 250 calories to play with. I'm very new to eating healthy & keeping track of calories, but I want to be successful with this. Thank you again for the great tips!
  • kellymcginnis08
    kellymcginnis08 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem. I stuck to this program for about a month in the fall and lost 10lbs. Now I'm back to it and trying for another 10 but the sudden decrease in calories is hard... I constantly want to eat! I've found that chewing a piece of mint gum helps to trick my brain into thinking I'm full. That and drinking a TON of water. Good luck!