Do you log walking your dog?

Options
froeschli
froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
I don't. IMO it's a part of my lifestyle. my HRM says it's a 300+ calorie part. (2-3 hours most days) that makes me want to add it to my diary - especially because everybody else burns so many calories every day....

but i see no point in changing my activity level, just so i can log those 'extra' calories burned.
ah well, at least i know i am doing something :smile:

Replies

• Almiel
    Almiel Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    If your lifestyle setting is sedentary, heck yeah! There's even a built in entry "walking 3 mph, walking dog".
  • Kandygirl
    Kandygirl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    i dont log exercises i did before i started this weigh lose. to me, it's my daily grind. i dont log walking my dog but i do log the extra walk i take every night with my husband.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    If your lifestyle setting is sedentary, heck yeah! There's even a built in entry "walking 3 mph, walking dog".

i know, i see people logging 5 minute dog walks, and am wondering wtf, isn't it their dog? doesn't the dog get to go out every day? (they usually only log it twice a week...) and seriously, 5 minutes is barely out the door...

my lifestyle setting is active, and i figure if the dog walking and grocery store runs give me an extra cushion, that's bonus.
  • kbw414
    kbw414 Posts: 194
    Options
    I count it because my lifestyle settings are set at sedentary.
    I have a 9 week old puppy who is not yet acclimated to taking daily walks, so that's the other reason I count it (because it's not a daily activity for me).

I don't, however, eat back those exercise calories. Since he's a puppy, he can't walk very far anyway and I have to take it slow for him.
  • samf36
    samf36 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I log the 3 mile walking your dog and my dog doesn't walk lol. I use that speed because I have no idea how fast I am walking and that sounds good. I will get a fitbit one day and know my true speed and maybe I can quit "walking " my dog
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Yes I do. It allows me to eat more. LOL
  • lk27
    lk27 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I have in the past. BUT I don't really consider walking exercise. Personally, I should be sweating my *kitten* off and out of breath for an activity to be considered exercise. If I take my dog for a strenuous hike or for a run, I do log it.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I only log exercise that's out of the ordinary. I have to walk my dog, so I don't log it. I have to clean my house, so I don't log it. But, if I did a top to bottom spring cleaning, I'd probably log some of it.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Yes. Reason being during the freezing cold winter (-30c) and with my depression which was in relapse, I wasn't walking the dog or leaving the house at all.

Now I try to go at least 5km a day at a decent pace and take the kid with me so it's a family active time.
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I'm set on sedentary so yes, I log walking my dog. But I also walk her at least 2 to 3 miles a day...

I'm very active but my job clearly falls into the sedentary category *shrug*
  • Reckabek
    Reckabek Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I log but have sedetary settings, my dogs dont get walked that often cause i just let them out the back door so they can run around and play! But today i took em and used my hrm and logged that! Plus i like to throw in some jogging intervals!
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I have four dogs and when I walk all 4 at once I do not log because I'm stopping as much as I'm walking. When I take them indvidually for one-on-one time I walk briskly and log it.
  • Werglum
    Werglum Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I don't have a dog, but log 'walking the dog' as it is about the speed my 3 year old walks!! There is no other option for that speed :bigsmile:
  • Kristiina67
    Kristiina67 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    That is my exercise! I walk through woods (hills) and fields. She is off leash, and our speed is around 4.2-4.4 MPH. We usually walk for 80 minutes. I am usually soaking wet afterwards. -- I think I am getting a great workout :D
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I have done, if it's a really long walk or if I run with him, but most of the time I don't run so I don't log it.

One time I burnt about 350 calories for a 30 minute walk/run! Once you get my dog going he won't stop, I was knackered by the end, that was a higher calorie burn per minute than I'd ever had before in the gym or P90x!! The weather didn't help (it was baking hot!)
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I log my daily walks with the dog because my activity is set to sedentary. Walking is my main form of exercise and has been since I started in June. I have lost 55lbs with almost only walking and watching my calories. So to me it sure is exercise. Why on earth wouldn't I log it? This morning I didn't log it because I was really busy and only had 10min to walk her (so my husband walked her longer in the afternoon) so I didn't log it, didn't even bother putting on my HRM.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Since most of the time I open the back door and let the pup out that way, when I do take him for a walk, I do log it. It is not a normal, daily, thing for me.

Some people use it as a "reason" they have to get up and get out of the house. If that helps them, then by all means they should log it. Every little step is a step in the right direction.
  • violetsue
    violetsue Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I absolutely log it in. I walk about 30 minutes at a steady pace and no stopping to sniff. Its good for both of us.
  • hypersensitiveb
    hypersensitiveb Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I only log exercise that's out of the ordinary. I have to walk my dog, so I don't log it. I have to clean my house, so I don't log it. But, if I did a top to bottom spring cleaning, I'd probably log some of it.

Same here with the cleaning. But as far as walking the dog if its 30 min or more I do. But at the same time I don't usually walk the dog, she goes and plays in our yard most days. But also I have logged that when I walk on the treadmill at the 3.0 speed.
  • echoica
    echoica Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    at first i was logging my regular dog walks...but i don't log it now unless it is a special longer walk back a trail or something.