Should weight loss be divided into segments?

Options
Do you divide your weight loss goals into portions (lose 10 lbs, lose 20 lbs, etc.) or do you list one goal (lose 100 lbs)? If you have a long way to go, do you take a break in the middle and "maintain" for a while to make sure the weight loss sticks or just keep plugging along (plateaus be damned)? What has worked for you?

Replies

• dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    I was always interested in hitting 3lb/week and my 12-15lb/month average. I always knew my goal number, but never really paid attention to getting to that number or any other milestone (25/50/75) etc. If I focused on what was in front of me and what I could accomplish in the immediate future, that number would slowly dwindle.
  • echoica
    echoica Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I really like the idea of periodically switching to maintenance to avoid plateaus...have i done it? no, but in theory! :glasses:
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I'm the 'keep plugging away' type. I won't change things up, I'll keep going and wait for my body to follow. THAT said, I'll be taking photographs every 10lbs along the way because it seems like a sensible way to document the changes. So, I am breaking my 54lbs weight loss into groups of 10lbs.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,687 Member
    Options
    Personally I think it should divided into how you feel, how you look, then weight. So many people use weight as the defining success when in fact many people can look better only losing a total of 10lbs.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    while my official goal is to lose 100 lbs, I have alot of mini-goals. Like I'm currently 272, but I have alot of non-scale goals and some scale related goals. Fit into my computer chair more comfortably, put on that belt I havent used in many years, hit 250 lbs etc. Keeps me a bit motivated so I dont keep thinking about that huge 100 I have to lose else it'll drive me crazy
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Lyle McDonald and several other experts in the field of fitness advocate for flexible dieting which includes things like diet breaks every 8-12 weeks. I think it makes sense. While I haven't necessarily done a break like this based on a certain time-frame, I do take a break from dieting when on vacation, during the holidays, etc. I once read "it's not what you eat from Christmas to New Year's that is the problem, it's what you eat from New Year's to Christmas." Anyway, it makes sense as it resets hormonal levels that can get a bit off-kilter while dieting. Also gives you a nice mental break. So, yes, I'm for it. Especially if you have a lot to lose so you're dieting for a long time.

Let's look at it this way, let's say someone has enough weight to lose where it should take them 2 years to get it off at a healthy 1-2# week loss. If you take a break on the average of every 3 months during that two years, it means that it takes you an extra 2 months to get the weight off. It's not really that big of a deal, is it?