Vegetarian at Restaurants

Options
Looking for advice...going to be eating out at restaurants a lot this weekend with my parents in town. What should I choose to eat for Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner out? We're not going to be going to any "vegetarian" exclusive places either...so a lot of my protein options are cheese and nuts, big calorie foods! Also, I don't want to eat salads every meal, so what else have you found helped keep you satisfied while avoiding all the temptations like fries, appetizers, desserts and soda (pop)

Replies

• _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    If the restaurant menu isn't online, I call ahead to see if the chef can come up with something either from the menu or modified. Appetizers are frequently vegetarian, so I might order two of those. Or, I have also asked for side dishes from various menu items to be plated as a meal.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Do you know where you might be going? Most restaurants these days do have a vegetarian option. Just stay away from soups unless you know they are vegetarian (ask what kind of stock they use). Some places will modify a meal if you just ask. Asking is key if you really don't want to eat another veggie burger.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    bump
  • whencynstops
    whencynstops Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I try to pick "ethic" restaurants. Mexican, Italian, Chinese, Cuban etc... I can always find something vegetarian that does not involve a salad at those places. Anything that is "American" has hardly any choices outside of a grilled cheese or a salad. Stay away from chains if you can, all of their stuff is processed out the wa-zoo and they don't like it when you say hold the meat. Local or smaller chains don't mind customizing your order.
  • angelashay42
    Options
    Do you eat fish or eggs? Most places have a fish or egg option.

If not, choose an assortment of sides. Don't be afraid to order a baked potato, steamed broccolli, grilled asparagus, rice pilaf, sweet potatos, etc. You can make a meal out these.
  • costume_andi
    costume_andi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you live by a Red Robin, I highly recommend it. I have the best luck there both in terms of diet and being veg. They have their entire menu online and you can customize everything and find out the calorie content before you go. I discovered all of this last weekend and it made dining out with my Mom a pain-free experience.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest going to a burger-centric restaurant, they usually always have veggie burger options, better than just salad or a huge bowl of pasta.
  • samhelen
    samhelen Posts: 98
    Options

If not, choose an assortment of sides. Don't be afraid to order a baked potato, steamed broccolli, grilled asparagus, rice pilaf, sweet potatos, etc. You can make a meal out these.

^^ FYI, some rice pilafs are made with chicken stock.
  • DulceDollie
    DulceDollie Posts: 115
    Options
    My favorite go-to is pasta. Most restaurants will have some type of pasta that you can ask them to take meat out of, and there should be light sauce options like a pesto or something. It's not the best diet-friendly option, but if appetizers, salads and most main dishes are out it's one of your best bets. You could ask for a lunch portion and get a side of sauteed veggies or something. Good luck, I know how it is!
  • BenomBenjamin
    BenomBenjamin Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan and don't have an especially hard time eating at restaurants. I will say there are times I have to "make up for" a deficient restaurant meal, later.

Let's see......last night, I went to a meat-centric pub, and had bruschetta (no cheese), and a veggie burger (no creamy sauces or cheese) with sweet potato fries. I had a cranberry juice with it.

Restaurant breakfasts often include oatmeal, these days. I just check to make sure it doesn't have milk ingredients. But since that's okay with you, many restaurants offer cereal, too. You probably eat eggs, so poached or fried eggs can be good. I believe scrambled is higher in calories, with poached being lowest.

Try a delicious salad with balsamic glaze, praline nuts, and baked goat cheese. I make that for non-vegan guests, and they rave about it.

Consider a protein shake or protein rich smoothie.

Nuts are nothing to fear. I eat 5-10, that's all. Try Brazil nuts. They're very filling.

Have lentil soup for lunch or some hummus with your meal.

Edamame is high in protein and iron.

Well, those are just some suggestions. Goid luck!
  • macnotes
    macnotes Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    If you live by a Red Robin, I highly recommend it. I have the best luck there both in terms of diet and being veg. They have their entire menu online and you can customize everything and find out the calorie content before you go. I discovered all of this last weekend and it made dining out with my Mom a pain-free experience.
    Oh! Good idea about the red robins. Still mainstream enough for the Albertans but options for me! Just gotta watch the fries temptation.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Still mainstream enough for the Albertans but options for me!

Lol! HEY I'm an Albertan and my tastes are anything but mainstream! :P

Also what city are you eating out in? Maybe I can give some rec's
  • macnotes
    Options
    Sorry about that Cloudbustr. :) I'm Albertan too but now call Victoria home. My parents are here with friends that don't like experimenting. We went to Romeos tonight and I ate a Mediterranean salad. No dressing.
  • macnotes
    Options
    Restaurant breakfasts often include oatmeal, these days. I just check to make sure it doesn't have milk ingredients. But since that's okay with you, many restaurants offer cereal, too. You probably eat eggs, so poached or fried eggs can be good. I believe scrambled is higher in calories, with poached being lowest.

Nuts are nothing to fear. I eat 5-10, that's all. Try Brazil nuts. They're very filling.

Have lentil soup for lunch or some hummus with your meal.

Edamame is high in protein and iron.

Excellent suggestions! Thank you! I didn't think about the poached egg being lower in calories, but you're right, they usually add milk to scrambled eggs and although I love fried eggs, they're in oil.

The Edamame is a great suggestion as well, just Olive oil and salt and bean!
  • wingchunrick
    wingchunrick Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    ?
  • Hurricane_C
    Hurricane_C Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    For breakfast there's always, as previously stated, oatmeal. And don't forget fruit dishes. When we go out I tend to modify things that are on menus if I can't find a vegetarian section (Applebee's for example). I'll order a chicken wrap without chicken and add something like mushrooms or avocado (they usually don't charge extra). Or at Olive Garden I've ordered chicken scampi without the chicken. Yes, you WILL get some odd looks... but hey... you're paying for it... get it how you want it.
  • wingchunrick
    Options

Vegetarians DO NOT eat fish
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options

That would be a pescitarian if they do, I think that includes fish/turkey/chicken.

The sides idea is probably your best bet. I do that when I go out to eat. Smaller portions and sides typically have no meat included.
  • wingchunrick
    Options

That would be a pescitarian if they do, I think that includes fish/turkey/chicken.

The sides idea is probably your best bet. I do that when I go out to eat. Smaller portions and sides typically have no meat included.

Thats correct lol
  • missfancy1980
    Options
    I always find the best options in Thai restaurants. The ones near us have upwards of 10 pure veggie meals.. mostly made with tofu or just vegetables.