How To fasten my metabolism?

Options
Anya143
Anya143 Posts: 27 Member
Hi Friends, I am having a little problem with loosing weight. I have a very slow metabolism for some reason. Sometimes I can't even go for few days. I started eating every 3 hours to keep me full until 6 pm. I eat smaller meals, try to count what I eat. I workout 5 times a week for 40 min. Just bought a new "Fiber Choice" Weight Managment tablets, the first day I started taking them I feel full after I eat, but few days later it stoped working for some reason. Please any ideas will help how can I fasten my metabolism.
Thank you.:love:

Replies

• JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Fasten it to what? Your belt?
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Anya, Just keep doing the exercise and eating right. Also, maybe make an appointment with your doctor to check your thyroid.

(You meant to say increase or speed up your metabolism. When you say fasten that means to attach it to something. Maybe English isn't your first language).
  • nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    have you ever had your thyroid checked? id rule that out first.
    i take synthroid for an underactive thyroid. I also take a B complex vitamin... for they say it boosts the metabolism.

losing weight is dependant on many factors... one has to watch their bodys carefully to get to know it to be able to know what works for you n what doesnt. all weightloss journeys have stops n starts..even when following your program faithfully... trick is to stick with it n continue... n it will come off...that is if you are doing everything you need to do for your body.
  • Anya143
    Anya143 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Yes to speed up my metabolism not my belt.
  • jaymek92
    jaymek92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    i would suggest the following:
    -get your thyroid checked out, as the others said.
    -lift weights- muscle requires more energy to maintain per pound than fat.
    -drink more water- sometimes, if you think you're hungry, you may actually be thirsty. try having a glass of water before you eat.
    -get more protein and fiber in your diet. they can both help you feel fuller.
    -i don't know what kind of exercise you do, but step up the intensity of your cardio. adding intervals increases your heart rate, which can help you to burn more calories. if you can read a book or magazine while exercising, you're probably not working hard enough.

just be patient! losing weight slowly gives you a greater chance of keeping it off.
    good luck!
  • cirec
    cirec Posts: 2
    Options
    Green Tea or Black Coffee will help speed metabolism up. Green Tea I can do but Black Coffee, I don't think so, I have eliminated adding sugar at least. =)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Eat well (not too little, not too much) and exercise (not too little, not too much).
    It's boring but it works (and much cheaper than pills and programs).
  • Snow__White
    Snow__White Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Fasten it to what? Your belt?
    :laugh:
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I ve been told hot chilli does the trick. Thats on top of eating healthy and exercise.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're doing most of it right. I'd make sure you're chugging a good 20oz of water between meals, it will help keep you full. Whole grains if you're eating carbs will keep you full longer too.

Also, it takes WEEKS for your metabolism to recover. Make sure you're eating enough calories to factor in your exercise, eating 1200 and then burning that in exercise is going to slow your metabolism.

Lastly, it sounds like the pills "wore" off after several days because your metabolism had increased or your body adjusted and just ignored their effects.
  • ZipperJJ
    ZipperJJ Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    What are you doing for 40 minutes a day when you work out? Are you getting your heart rate up high enough? You might want to invest in a heart rate monitor or use a machine that has one built in.

And lift weights too.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Eat food!
    Eat closer to TDEE and youll do great!
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Hi Friends, I am having a little problem with loosing weight. I have a very slow metabolism for some reason. Sometimes I can't even go for few days. I started eating every 3 hours to keep me full until 6 pm. I eat smaller meals, try to count what I eat. I workout 5 times a week for 40 min. Just bought a new "Fiber Choice" Weight Managment tablets, the first day I started taking them I feel full after I eat, but few days later it stoped working for some reason. Please any ideas will help how can I fasten my metabolism.

Just so you know eating more regularly does not speed up your metabolism, that is a myth.

How do you know you have a slow metabolism, exactly?

I would recommend doing some strength training, higher lean body mass = higher metabolism.
  • iKristine
    iKristine Posts: 288 Member
    Options

Just so you know eating more regularly does not speed up your metabolism, that is a myth.

I would recommend doing some strength training, higher lean body mass = higher metabolism.

There is actually several studies that support the eating throughout the day increases your metabolism. Allbeit very little. They took patients with the exact same sedentary lifestyle, fed them the same calories and macros, but changed the delivery. the ones who ate throughout the day consistently had a higher metabolism as determined by metabolic carts. It's not well researched in that they can't explain the mechanics of how. But the be clear the difference was so insignificant, that you would only see results of that delivery in several month increments. So for practical purpose, it's not going to help in your weight loss, but would in certain medical conditions like diabetes.

Outside of this, why so many posts to check your thyroid? This is ridiculous. You would have several problems OUTSIDE of your weight loss you would be experiencing to concern about this. KISS mean anything to anyone?

The best way to raise your metabo, as based on your physiology, is to eat more, weight train/exercise. While this seems counter intuitive to weight loss banter of eat less / move more. Exercise is meant to be used as a tool to aid weight loss, not exclusively to achieve it. Abs are made in the kitchen holds true still today. NO PILLS will work in a consistent way. Save your money and eat right. You might as well nuke a 20.00 bill in the fire for the benefits your given.

How do you know you have a slow metabo? I assume, is that your plateaued or losing slower than before? This is a normal thing, happens as time goes on. Your body wants to be at stasis with itself. It's a natural process of survival. It's easy to overcome, and trick back to normal. And contrary to one comment here, doesn't have to take weeks. Simply eat maintenance and don't exercise as heavily.

Within a few days you should see a slight weight drop, assuming your sodium intake is in check (< 2500)

As you lose weight, you will have this occur. Just up your cals and take it easy, then reasses once you start to lose again. Depending on how much you've to lose you'll in time need to reduce the deficit the closer you get to your goal. I would advice going in 200 calorie increments. When 1000 deficits stop working, up your intake to maintenance for few days, when you start to lose slightly again, just add 200 cals.

EX: 1000 works for couple months then stops.
    eat up, when normal again
    eat 800 cal deficits until this stops
    eat up when normal
    eat 600 cal deficits (usually this wont stop until your within vanity)

In 40 lbs I've had to do this twice thus far. But each time worked like a charm.
  • HonkyTonks
    Options

There is actually several studies that support the eating throughout the day increases your metabolism. Allbeit very little.

Each time you eat, metabolic rate increases slightly for a few hours. Paradoxically, it takes energy to break down and absorb energy. This is the Thermic Effect of Food (TEF). The amount of energy expended is directly proportional to the amount of calories and nutrients consumed in the meal.

Let's assume that we are measuring TEF during 24 hours in a diet of 2700 kcal with 40% protein, 40% carbohydrate and 20% fat. We run three different trials where the only thing we change is the the meal frequency.

A) Three meals: 900 kcal per meal.

B) Six meals: 450 kcal per meal.

C) Nine meals: 300 kcal per meal.

What we'd find is a different pattern in regards to TEF. Example "A" would yield a larger and long lasting boost in metabolic rate that would gradually taper off until the next meal came around; TEF would show a "peak and valley"-pattern. "C" would yield a very weak but consistent boost in metabolic rate; an even pattern. "B" would be somewhere in between.

However, at the end of the 24-hour period, or as long as it would take to assimilate the nutrients, there would be no difference in TEF. The total amount of energy expended by TEF would be identical in each scenario. Meal frequency does not affect total TEF. You cannot "trick" the body in to burning more or less calories by manipulating meal frequency.

Further reading: I have covered the topic of meal frequency at great length on this site before.

The most extensive review of studies on various meal frequencies and TEF was published in 1997. It looked at many different studies that compared TEF during meal frequencies ranging from 1-17 meals and concluded:

"Studies using whole-body calorimetry and doubly-labelled water to assess total 24 h energy expenditure find no difference between nibbling and gorging".

Since then, no studies have refuted this. For a summary of the above cited study, read this research review by Lyle McDonald.

Earlier this year, a new study was published on the topic. As expected, no differences were found between a lower (3 meals) and higher meal (6 meals) frequency. Read this post for my summary of the study. This study garnered some attention in the mass media and it was nice to see the meal frequency myth being debunked in The New York Times.

Source - http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html
  • iKristine
    iKristine Posts: 288 Member
    Options

There is actually several studies that support the eating throughout the day increases your metabolism. Allbeit very little.

Each time you eat, metabolic rate increases slightly for a few hours. Paradoxically, it takes energy to break down and absorb energy. This is the Thermic Effect of Food (TEF). The amount of energy expended is directly proportional to the amount of calories and nutrients consumed in the meal.

Let's assume that we are measuring TEF during 24 hours in a diet of 2700 kcal with 40% protein, 40% carbohydrate and 20% fat. We run three different trials where the only thing we change is the the meal frequency.

What we'd find is a different pattern in regards to TEF. Example "A" would yield a larger and long lasting boost in metabolic rate that would gradually taper off until the next meal came around; TEF would show a "peak and valley"-pattern. "C" would yield a very weak but consistent boost in metabolic rate; an even pattern. "B" would be somewhere in between.

However, at the end of the 24-hour period, or as long as it would take to assimilate the nutrients, there would be no difference in TEF. The total amount of energy expended by TEF would be identical in each scenario. Meal frequency does not affect total TEF. You cannot "trick" the body in to burning more or less calories by manipulating meal frequency.

Further reading: I have covered the topic of meal frequency at great length on this site before.

The most extensive review of studies on various meal frequencies and TEF was published in 1997. It looked at many different studies that compared TEF during meal frequencies ranging from 1-17 meals and concluded:

"Studies using whole-body calorimetry and doubly-labelled water to assess total 24 h energy expenditure find no difference between nibbling and gorging".

Since then, no studies have refuted this. For a summary of the above cited study, read this research review by Lyle McDonald.

Earlier this year, a new study was published on the topic. As expected, no differences were found between a lower (3 meals) and higher meal (6 meals) frequency. Read this post for my summary of the study. This study garnered some attention in the mass media and it was nice to see the meal frequency myth being debunked in The New York Times.

Please quote based on resources that aren't blogs. Otherwise your no better than to be spreading disinformation. That's not to say that blogs cannot hold truths, but anyone, and I mean anyone can write a blog.

To be fair, I didn't either.

"Thermic effect of food and -adrenergic thermogenic responsiveness in habitually exercising and sedentary healthy adult humans" Nicole R. Stob, et al 2007

http://jap.physiology.org/content/103/2/616.full

"Highlighting the positive impact of increasing feeding frequency on metabolism and weight management." Louis-Sylvestre J, et al 2003

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15806828

"Decreased thermic effect of food after an irregular compared with a regular meal pattern in healthy lean women." Farshchi, et al 2004

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15085170

Edit: essentially I was saying, the argument becomes null based on the application in which we use this term "metabolic increase" in relationship to dieting for bigger gains. You just wouldn't see an effect great enough to worry about the method of affect you use to achieve its results. In other words, eat whenever you want unless it's related to a health condition.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    What is your diet like? You're diary is closed and so one cannot advise. It is shooting in the dark suggesting otherwise.

Essentially you need diet in place and then cardio/weight to help expend more energy.
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Try drinking aloe vera juice for your bathroom issues.
  • HonkyTonks
    Options

Please quote based on resources that aren't blogs. Otherwise your no better than to be spreading disinformation. That's not to say that blogs cannot hold truths, but anyone, and I mean anyone can write a blog.

To be fair, I didn't either.

"Thermic effect of food and -adrenergic thermogenic responsiveness in habitually exercising and sedentary healthy adult humans" Nicole R. Stob, et al 2007

http://jap.physiology.org/content/103/2/616.full

"Highlighting the positive impact of increasing feeding frequency on metabolism and weight management." Louis-Sylvestre J, et al 2003

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15806828

"Decreased thermic effect of food after an irregular compared with a regular meal pattern in healthy lean women." Farshchi, et al 2004

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15085170

Edit: essentially I was saying, the argument becomes null based on the application in which we use this term "metabolic increase" in relationship to dieting for bigger gains. You just wouldn't see an effect great enough to worry about the method of affect you use to achieve its results. In other words, eat whenever you want unless it's related to a health condition.

The blog I quoted has links to all the studies it cites - feel free to check them out.