New... and honestly CONFUSED!

Options
i mainly do my cardio in the morning, on an empty stomach.. it doesn't bother me at all, i have the energy once i drink a cup of black coffee.. and mainly do 30 mins of cardio on the elliptical or treadmill everyday.. i've seen progress with losing weight before, but after eating HIGH protein i have gained weight.. some people on myfitnesspal told me i shouldn't be eating such high protein if i am not lifting or trying to gain muscle.

but isn't eating high carbs especially knowing it's used for fuel for energy?? why eat high carb if i workout in the morning and throughout the day i have a desk job, makes no sense. someone make this clear tome

Replies

• darkmouzy
    darkmouzy Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Protien builds and helps repair muscle who have undergone some type of strength training or intense activity. So protien is then utilized.

However if you're doing just cardio and no weight lifting if there's too much protien the body will actually convert the excess protien into fat.

So either incorperate some weights 3 days a week or just cut back a little on the protien. :)
    For me i do weights: monday, wednesday, friday and do cardio everyday.

I hope that helps? Feel free to add me if you have more questions!
  • wmichgrad
    wmichgrad Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You may want to try drinking a glass of water and eating something light to get your metabolism going before your work out. You want to get your metabolism working so you can burn calories during your workout. Carbs are not bad. You want to avoid carbs in processed foods (refined grains & sugars). But raw fruit carbs are ok (as long as it's not just juice). Don't get caught up in the numbers as much as eating a good balance of different types of foods, like fruits, nuts, vegetables, fish & poultry.
  • Chloe_Chaos_
    Chloe_Chaos_ Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Personally, I dont worry about carbs as long as they come from good foods (ie, not over processed crap). I try to eat high-er protein because I do lift heavy and I am trying to retain muscle mass while losing weight. I'll probably get further into nutrition as I get the body I want and begin to sculpt but for now I mainly concentrate at eating at or very close to my calorie goal for the day. If you're trying to just lose weight you shouldn't worry about your carbs or protein as much and just worry about your calories. Losing weight is simply calories in and calories out. If you want to continue eating high protein start lifting some weights, and I dont mean the 5lb dumbbell.

This is based on my personal experience. There are people on here that know WAY more about nutrition than I do but based on the fact that you're only doing cardio (IMO almost a waste of time) there's no point in eating tons of protein. I usually go to the gym for about an hour and fifteen and I do about 30 mins of cardio split into two 15 sessions, warm up and cool down, the rest of the time I am lifting heavy weights, and I love it.

Idk if this helps. I'm sure I'll get bashed because none of this is scientific, but it has been working for me.
  • peacemerc
    peacemerc Posts: 18
    Options
    First off all food is fuel. The type...carbs, fat or protein...just determines how readily it can be used by your body for energy. This of course then plays into your own metabolic rate and how your particular body processes food. Also I would recommend a longer cardio workout since it takes 20 minutes to burn up the calories stored in your liver so you are only really seeing 10 minutes of burn. Now of course if you are doing high intensity workout it is a bit faster, 20 minutes is only a thumb rule. I would be interested to find out what your values are for each of the major three and then can recommend from there. Also over how long has this been as I myself can alternate alot over a week, but in the end keep losing weight from week to week.
    BTW I too do cardio on an empty stomach in the morning and then some sort of circuit right after and in the evenings I workout with my wife in a group class if work permits.
  • Chloe_Chaos_
    Chloe_Chaos_ Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Protien builds and helps repair muscle who have undergone some type of strength training or intense activity. So protien is then utilized.

However if you're doing just cardio and no weight lifting if there's too much protien the body will actually convert the excess protien into fat.

So either incorperate some weights 3 days a week or just cut back a little on the protien. :)
    For me i do weights: monday, wednesday, friday and do cardio everyday.

I hope that helps? Feel free to add me if you have more questions!

^^^^ THIS!!!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    You may want to try drinking a glass of water and eating something light to get your metabolism going before your work out. You want to get your metabolism working so you can burn calories during your workout. Carbs are not bad. You want to avoid carbs in processed foods (refined grains & sugars). But raw fruit carbs are ok (as long as it's not just juice). Don't get caught up in the numbers as much as eating a good balance of different types of foods, like fruits, nuts, vegetables, fish & poultry.
    Lol your metabolism works all the time. Of course you will burn calories during your workout, whether you ate or not. Imagine if you were starving to death and being forced to work - do you think that work would have no effect on your body since you hadn't eaten?