Protein question yet again!

Options
How healthy is it to be over your suggested protein intake? What happens to the excess protein, is it a good or bad thing?

Replies

• tgzerozone
    tgzerozone Posts: 160
    Options
    It converts to fats (Not easily) and sugars in the end or excreted through kidneys. Not bad for your health no unless you have kidney problems.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    How healthy is it to be over your suggested protein intake? What happens to the excess protein, is it a good or bad thing?

If you remain in a calorie deficit, you'll be just fine.
  • gwenguin
    gwenguin Posts: 74
    Options
    i used to think it was good, and i would eat only chicken all day and eat 1200 cal. with like 200 g. of protein... turns out, its just a substitue for carbs, but it helps build muscle... to much will cause kidney failure and brittle hair/ hair loss...
  • tgzerozone
    Options
    i used to think it was good, and i would eat only chicken all day and eat 1200 cal. with like 200 g. of protein... turns out, its just a substitue for carbs, but it helps build muscle... to much will cause kidney failure and brittle hair/ hair loss...

No scientific proof that it damages kidneys unfortunately. Won't build muscle if said muscle is not exercised. In other words, you can sit on your bum all day and consume protein and your muscles are not going to get bigger.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

No scientific proof that it damages kidneys unfortunately. Won't build muscle if said muscle is not exercised. In other words, you can sit on your bum all day and consume protein and your muscles are not going to get bigger.

^ Agreed. I believe (can't find the specific study without digging) that there is some evidence suggesting it's harmful if you've already got kidney issues, but that there's no direct causal link between protein consumption and damage to a previously healthy kidney.
  • tgzerozone
    Options

^ Agreed. I believe (can't find the specific study without digging) that there is some evidence suggesting it's harmful if you've already got kidney issues, but that there's no direct causal link between protein consumption and damage to a previously healthy kidney.

Agreed. :)
  • bigd65
    bigd65 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I go over by about 100 grams a day and still loosing weight as the previous poster said stay under your total calories and all is good. Overall calories that is
  • TitanGM
    TitanGM Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    As long as you remain under your daily calorie requirements there's absolutely no problem, even if you ate 500gr. It turns into fat only if you exceed your calorie intake limit. Actually, I'd recommend you to eat as much protein as possible. MFP is good to keep you accountable, but it's nutrition requirements are not too healthy spread.
  • Taylerr88
    Taylerr88 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    to much protein will just convert over to fat and sugar/glucose for the body to use as energy. as long as you stay in your calorie limit.. it doesn't really matter.
  • ChristieStearns
    ChristieStearns Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist likes higher protein when you are trying to lose because it helps your body realize it's not starving and it can let go of fat. Of course that's just one opinion, but seems to work for me. We are all different though.