Replacement for deadlifts?

I have a bad lower back (degenerative disk, S.I. joint problems, ect), since I was 19ish. Since starting the New Rules For Weight Lifting For Women, doing the deadlifts is killing my back. I've watched tons of videos on correct form and I'm doing the best I can, but doing them is leaving me in so much pain. Typically I can get by just fine with biweekly chiropractor visits, but I've had to go after almost every deadlift workout, everything else I'm just fine.

Is there another exercise I can sub so I don't end up in pain all the time? Maybe replace them with more sqats?

Replies

• Taylerr88
    Taylerr88 Posts: 320 Member
    its pretty hard to sub deadlifts.. you can try rack pulls
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Nothing else will really replace them, don't add more of another exercise (eg squats) to compensate!

You might try doing some unweighted back extensions to strengthen your lower back. The easiest way is to do it over a fitball, with your feet against a wall. Lean over the ball and then bring yourself back up (so your spine and legs are all in a straight line). If you can do this fine unweighted, you can then add a dumbell or weight plate. Either hold it in front of you, or up on your lats (my preferred option).

Hope that helps a little. You might want to put in some upright rows too. Good for the upper back more than the lower though.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member

Ditto on rack pulls. It could be possible to start with light rack pulls slowly progressing Stronglifts 5x5 style. Start with the bar only and every week add 10lbs. The bar will probably be extremely light, but its the safest way to progress. Now once you hit a goal number, lets say 135lbs, lower the weight and start all over from the floor with deadlifts. Now if that's still bothering you, I'd just scrap deadlifts all together and speak to someone with a degree in kinesiology or exercise science to help solve your problem.

However, you may just be one of those people who won't be able to do deadlifts without surgery on your back (which unless you were in a competitive sport, I wouldn't unless the doctor told you you had to).
  • kir911
    kir911 Posts: 228 Member
    U can also try deadlifts on a floating smith machine. Sometimes this will help keep your form intact. Start out with the bar unloaded and just get your form down. If it is bothering you, it is probably because you are breaking form and using your back instead of your hips.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    U can also try deadlifts on a floating smith machine. Sometimes this will help keep your form intact. Start out with the bar unloaded and just get your form down. If it is bothering you, it is probably because you are breaking form and using your back instead of your hips.

Deadlifts are horrible to do on a smith machine due to its fixed range of motion. It is near impossible to perfect form on a smith machine and she could end up hurting her back more.
  • kir911
    kir911 Posts: 228 Member

Deadlifts are horrible to do on a smith machine due to its fixed range of motion. It is near impossible to perfect form on a smith machine and she could end up hurting her back more.

On a traditional smith machine yes...on a floating smith machine you have more range of motion. You can go forward and back not just up and down.
  • Karmarie24
    Karmarie24 Posts: 48 Member
    Thanks for all the suggestions! It's so frustrating to me that I can't do something! I'm going to do some research on your suggestions and see if I can get some strength up in my back first!
  • Karmarie24
    Karmarie24 Posts: 48 Member
    In a rack pull the bar is about knee level? Sorry for all the questions, I work out in my home gym, and while I have a ton of equipment thanks to my husband, there's no trainer to ask questions!! :)
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Actual injury is hard to work around - and I know the frustration - I have a problem with my knees and it annoys me it stops me doing things - even if they were things I didnt really want or need to do!!

You may already know this from what you have read - but I improved my tendency to mild injury from deadlifts from lowering the weight on the bar a bit and learning proper form for picking up - sort of feels like you are pushing your legs through the floor straightening them rather than pulling with your back.

Also when you fail - if possible - just drop them
  • Classalete
    Classalete Posts: 464 Member
    There is nothing as beneficial as the majestic deadlift. Yes, it ever supersedes the squat in my opinion.

However in your case, given the injury...You could try dolphin dives (reverse situps) to isolate your lower back muscles...but that won't activate 1/6th of the muscles that a conventional deadlift will.
  • princesspita
    princesspita Posts: 28 Member

^^^^^^^^^
    Agree!
  • jaymek92
    jaymek92 Posts: 309 Member
    you said you're doing the best you can with your form? have you actually had anybody watch you deadlift and comment on your form? you might want to try that before giving up on them altogether. thinking you have the right form and actually having the right form are two TOTALLY different stories. you might want to try deloading, too!