Need REALLY cheap meal ideas....

Options
Hi

So I'm a bit in dire straits financially, and I need really cheap nutritious meal ideas... like as cheap as humanely possible.

I'm currently skipping a meal or two just purely to cut costs (not ideal I know) - I live in New Zealand and food isn't so cheap (like $3 for 1 litre of milk NZD) and I really need to go shopping today.

Help!!

Replies

• lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    chicken wheat pastas you can put a good meatless sauce theri's dry beans you can make bean soup with a litttel bacon they have lots of protein and fiber i live in california so i don't know what kind of food you have
  • nicholettebell
    Options
    Making chili is relatively cheap.
  • scicco
    scicco Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Eggs........omelettes, boiled, scrambled. Very nutrisious, cheap and mixed with veggies always a good meal.
    Soups
    Stews
    and frozen bananas in the blender, just like ice cream, for dessert
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Im going off US prices, since I dont know what prices are like over there for certain foods....

Beans
    Rice
    Pasta
    Lettuce (for salads)
    Frozen Chicken (You can get frozen chicken by the bag here for 8 bucks)
    Frozen Veggies
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Granola, dry cereal, oats - here in the states it's relatively cheap to buy in bulk. Also beans and brown rice.

Looking forward to other responses. I hope people will list receipes as well. :smile:
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    We eat a lot of stir fry with frozen cheap veggies also breakfast for dinner.
  • aweightymatter
    Options
    Breakfast: Store-brand or bulk old-fashioned oatmeal... Should be cheap for a HUGE canister. You can mix it with some store-brand peanut butter for a little healthyish fat and a tiny bit of protein. To get some produce either buy the absolute cheapest fruits they have at the store, or if that's even too much, try unsweetened applesauce (again, store brand).

Can you afford eggs? They are a cheap source of protein -- eat a couple whole eggs instead of using more whites and tossing the yolks. Prepare these however, serve with some frozen mixed veggies -- store brand, again.

Other ideas for cheap foods: canned tuna -- or even sardines, etc. if you can stomach them ... dried beans, peas, and brown rice or another bulk, no-brand whole grain... generic whole-grain pasta and sauce...

If you have a couple of different grocery chains around you, look up the circulars online and compare sales. Maybe one store is running a crazy 10-for-$10 or buy-one-get-one-free sale? Beyond the cheapest staples like beans, rice, and oatmeal, only buy what is on sale. As always, it's cheapest to shop the perimeter of the store -- unprocessed produce, meat, dairy, etc. than to buy the fancy packaged stuff on the inner aisles.

Good luck!!
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I don't know what you have or the prices, but sometimes it's cheaper to think of foods you can eat and feel full on, sometimes smaller items you can snack on rather than complete "meals".

Making soup should be pretty cheap too... beans, rice, pasta... look for what veggies and fruits are on sale.
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Here (US) a single can of whole tomatoes ($1.50), a pound of Barilla protein plus pasta( $2) & spices will feed my family of 6, if I add a pound of beef ($5) then we can have it for a couple nights or buy a $10 bag of meatballs & leave them in the freezer for meatless spaghetti!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Rice, beans, lentils, fruit and veggies in season, powdered milk, oatmeal, chicken drumsticks, buy wholemeal flour and make scones or damper instead of bread.
    You can make roast chicken, fried rice, dahl and rice, beans and rice, vegetarian variations of meatloaf or bolognaise sauce, soup, porridge, veggie muffins and lots more good stuff.
    If you already have dried herbs and spices and staples like soy sauce or other sauces in the pantry, that's great because you can make basic ingredients taste delicious - and similar meals taste different. If not, then look out for bargain priced bags of spices - you should be able to pick them up for $1 or so and they are really worth it. Just buy one each week or two and you will build up a collection very soon.
    Is there a farmer's market near you? If so, find out what time they close and go late in the afternoon, that's usually the time to get a big bag of fruit or veggies at a bargain basement price.
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Eggs, Oatmeal, Dried Beans, Rice, Frozen Brocc.
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Broth based soups, served over rice. We love miso, but you can make a cheap version at home with or without the actual miso, with some beef bouillion and a splash of soy sauce. If we have them I'll thinly slice mushrooms and add it. Noodles (ramen or otherwise make this a bit more filling.

Breakfast items, made at home are very inexpensive. Things like eggs (omeletes with salsa and/or seasonal veggies) and fruit pancakes or crepes. Oatmeal is also low cost, and can be made into a variety of meals.

Potatoes, served with beans or veggies are cheap and filling. Baked potatoes, or cut as wedges and baked with a small amount of oil and burger seasoning are good.

Dried beans, mixed with seasonal veggies or even canned tomatoes or V8 juice can make a simple soup. Chicken noodle soup is also fairly inexpensive, just use the cheapest bone-in variety you can find, and chop onion, celery and carrots, with a small amount of butter and oil to cook the veggies. Add the chicken, and cover with water and simmer until the chicken is done.

Check out the show 10 dollar dinners, which is on the Food Network in the US.

Watch for and shop sales. We have a store called Aldi's in the US, which runs amazing deals. I just got a pound of vine ripe tomatoes for 99 cents and 8 ounces of mushrooms for 49 cents. I also buy romaine lettuce hearts, as they last longer and have more yeild than bagged salads.

Our town has a Gardeners Bakery (that produces and distributes Sara Lee prouducts). If your area has one, they offer great deals. I can usually buy 3 loafs if whole wheat bread, a pack or two of mini bagels, and 100 calorie tortilla shells for around $6. Just be sure to freeze or refrigerate them until you use them, as they sell for a discount close to the sell-by date.

I have been in similar shoes. Here's to hoping it turns around for you soon.
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    do you have a food bank or church that does a food bank in your area ??

we have a local church tat does a food bank, and we get some food once a month .. every lil bit helps
    idk if New Zealand has anything like that, but it wouldn't hurt to check into it ..

good luck hun ..
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses - some really great ideas, I'm gonna head over to the store now.

I think I'm just going to buy the cheapest things that are in season in terms of fruit and veg and buy a tray of eggs. I normally just get free range and will feel really guilty buying the cheap caged ones, but I guess I really need to feed myself for the rest of the month :(

I'll get the cheapest ice cream I can as a treat - it's going to be a really tough few months anyway so I guess $2 to treat myself isn't so bad.

Money might make the world go around but at the moment it's the source of many problems for me!
  • hbunting86
    Options
    OK so I went to the store and bought:

12 eggs (sadly not free range) $3.50
    Eggplant - two for $2.29
    Tomatoes - $0.99
    Red onion - two for $0.99
    Iceberg lettuce - $1.49
    Round beans - $1.69 for a bag
    Tuna - $2.50 (1 can)
    Grapes - $3
    Bread - $3.50
    Avocados - $1.79 for 3
    Cheese slices - $4.50
    Ice cream (2 litres chocolate yum yum) - $4.50

No clue what I'm going to do with that lot... I do have LOADS of herbs, spices and sauces (I'm a condiment queen) and also have rice noodles in the cupboard, together with pasta and some rice. I decided not to buy meat purely for financial reasons which sucks a little...

Just concerned I won't get adequate nutrition!
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Looks at what you bought, plus what you said you have in your pantry, I think you can still make do with that you have there. I wouldnt recommend it long term, but I know how it is when sometimes you are just in a financial bind and don't have any other choice.

Breakfast Idea:
    -Scrambled Egg, Slice of Bread, and a Big of diced tomato

Lunch or Dinner Ideas:
    -A light baked Eggplant (Leave a piece or two of bread out for a couple days or in a toaster. Crumble. Slice eggplant into rings, tip in some egg, take the crumb crumbs made by the bread, and batter.) Toss in the oven till cooked through. Add some diced tomatoes and cheese.
    -You've got all the ingredients for tuna salad. Pre-made some tuna (using the tuna, mayo if you have it and some onion). Toss a portion of it onto some of the iceburg lettuce. Add in a couple sliced grapes too!!
    -Salad with avocado, onion, and some beans
    -Fried Rice using some soy (of you have it), eggs, and rice. Toss in a little onion for added flavor
    -Grilled Cheese
    -Pasta with a little extra virgin olive oil and spices and turn out real nice and not too high in fat is you use sparingly. Toss a piece of cheese onto some bread (with garlic if you have it) in an oven or toaster oven and you'll have garlic toast to go with it

I hope some of these ideas will help you put together some meals you might not have thought of using the ingredients you have listed below. Without knowing what you keep in condiments land (we always have light mayo, garlic, and extra virgin olive oil and butter), some of these might be a little more difficult to make. Next time you go grocery shopping again, let me know (or I will check here) to see if I cant help some more with meal ideas.

Think of this as trying to be almost vegetarian for a little while ;)
  • hbunting86
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas - will def be putting them into use!

Haha it is almost like being vegetarian for a while. I don't mind - I prefer my veggies to be honest, would rather have those than a freezer full of meat!

Think I'll do scrambled eggs for dinner today... mix in a little tomato and some hot chilli sauce :)