Diagnose Me:Shin Splints!

Options
I have been walking/running for the past 4 months. Then I signed up for a 5K and have been using the Runners World training program. I have gone up 2 m, 5m, 6m now 8 m. The shin splints have gotten worse for me. Is it because of the increased training? Is it because my shoes are 4 months old?

I am doing the stretch where you spell the alphabet etc. Any other ideas? Thanks!

Replies

• gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I have been walking/running for the past 4 months. Then I signed up for a 5K and have been using the Runners World training program. I have gone up 2 m, 5m, 6m now 8 m. The shin splints have gotten worse for me. Is it because of the increased training? Is it because my shoes are 4 months old?

I am doing the stretch where you spell the alphabet etc. Any other ideas? Thanks!
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    When I had gotten shoes that were fitted for the way I run, then mine went away.

There are a lot of problems with having tight calf muscles and hamstrings. When I started doing yoga 6 days a week my problems with my feet also went away.

Hope this helps.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

do upper and lower case.

I iced mine in the evening, and hot shower in the morn.

Hope you get better fast:drinker:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    to answer your question, almost certainly it's because of the increased running.

Also, I agree, stretching before you run is important for shin splints.

Ice immediately after is good, but after about 1 to 2 hours, constant heat for about an hour should help too.

Stretching is the biggest thing. you should be able to google stretches for shin splints and find lots of good exercises for it.

If the pain is mild and goes away after a few hours, then a few weeks of stretching before running, and stopping to stretch when ever you feel pain coming on should clear it up. But remember, stretching should always be a part of any running routine, as well as 5 to 10 minutes of warm up at a slow jog, and 5 minutes of cool down after at a slow jog as well.

Also, you can try running on something softer then concrete or asphalt, a recycled rubber track (many high schools have them) or ash track (another high school common feature) or even cross country (careful with your ankles) are all better for the joints and legs.
  • jdmorgan70
    jdmorgan70 Posts: 1
    Options
    Depending how hard you are training, it may very well be time for a new pair of shoes. However, we see this problem alot and it often is caused by people not buying the correct type of shoe for their foot shape. Many shoe stores have their shoes marked that support the different types (i.e. flat foot, high arch etc..) maybe that will help you.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    My daughter bought a pair of mizunos she loved - but she got shin splints - when she switched back to Brooks (with ice, heat, advil, etc) they went away and haven't come back...