Food in Ireland

Options
My husband and I are long overdue for a vacation, and we're heading to Ireland for a week. What kind of foods are healthy options in this area? I'll need to offset the Guinness a bit ;) Thanks for any tips.

Replies

• kleighsamboer
    Options
    I suggest doing some research on the internet. that is the best way to find good and healthy eats on vacation.
  • anneitar
    anneitar Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi there, I live in Ireland so maybe I can help! Like everywhere, it really depends on where you plan to eat. Most pubs will do lunch/dinner and you'll just have to ask them to do sauces on the side and avoid the chips (fries) and potatoes which are a staple at every meal. There will be lots of salads, veg, meat and fish so it's really about choosing the right options, similar to dining out everywhere really..... If you've any specific questions, let me know!
  • unrulygurl
    unrulygurl Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    How exciting! I'm planning a trip there next summer for my son's graduation present. By then I will be at my goal weight. I don't plan on worrying about watching what I eat while on vacation. I do plan on walking a whole lot & renting bicycles part of the time.
  • oliviacharlie
    Options
    Everywhere will do seasonal vegetables as a side dish or part of your meal, just try and keep clear of all the mashed potato, its half butter and cream. Its amazing but deadly. Don't worry about the guinness, its the full irish breakfast that you have to be careful about! You have to try black pudding, its an irish breakfast favourite. :D just dont ask whats in it!

Depending where you go, you can get amazing fresh seafood. Crab claws, oysters and mussels etc.... the salads usually have a dressing on them, so ask for it on side, same with steaks and meat dishes, cream and butter are the sauces main ingredients. If you want to research places to eat, try ( www.menupages.ie ) it lists all the places to eat, what cuisine, reviews, photos and prices. I find it really handy. I think as long as you go for a few walks or a jog, its not too bad if you indulge on holiday. If theres anything else, feel free to ask!