Planetary Alignment tonight.

Options
2»

Replies

• krissypea79
    krissypea79 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Dang, wish I could see it!! Too cloudy in NY tonight :frown: Very cool though! I do know that we are in "Mercury Retrograde" at the moment, which apparently causes all sorts of communication breakdowns and personal misunderstandings. It ends April 4th. It's all quite interesting!!
  • kndlkai1
    kndlkai1 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    http://www.space.com/14895-venus-jupiter-skywatching-conjunction.html

My kids and I saw them the other night coming home from running errands. Even with all the light pollution, they were very easy to see. It would be really great to see the others as well, but we don't have a telescope or binoculars. Oh well, it's raining too.

Saw Mars a few years ago. It was fantastically red up in the sky and was a true treat to view.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    over the past few weeks they've grown closer to each other..its pretty cool
  • leadoff
    leadoff Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I like our planets. I still consider Pluto a planet, by the way, and no one will ever change my mind. Poor Pluto. I'd give Pluto a hug if I was larger and impervious to life-sucking cold temperatures. And didn't require Earth's atmosphere to survive.

Never mind. Pluto knows how I feel.

I tell my students, "Back in my day we had NINE planets!"
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    I like our planets. I still consider Pluto a planet, by the way, and no one will ever change my mind. Poor Pluto. I'd give Pluto a hug if I was larger and impervious to life-sucking cold temperatures. And didn't require Earth's atmosphere to survive.

Remember "My Very Excellent Mother Just Sent Us Nine Pizzas"? I has a sad now :cry:
  • leadoff
    leadoff Posts: 136 Member
    Options

Remember "My Very Excellent Mother Just Sent Us Nine Pizzas"? I has a sad now :cry:

I learned "My Very Energetic Mother Just Sewed Us New Pants." :) I guess we won't have any new pants.
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Dang i missed out. Its 7am where i am. Would have loved to see that.
  • Tiggerrick
    Tiggerrick Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    All I can see is the underside of clouds.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    Options
    I learned "My Very Energetic Mother Just Sewed Us New Pants." :) I guess we won't have any new pants.

Or pizzas...stupid NASA...

pluto-gets-the-last-word.jpg
  • rammsteinsoldier
    rammsteinsoldier Posts: 1,556 Member
    Options
    It is so sad about Pluto. None of the poems work anymore so now how do you remember the planets. :grumble:
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    You can already see it. I've seen it for the past week or so.
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options

Mary's Violet Eyes Make John Stay Up Nights Proposing.
    Now poor John is awake for no reason...
  • LauraMacNCheese
    Options
    Mary's Violet Eyes Make John Stay Up Nights Proposing.
    Now poor John is awake for no reason...

No pizza, no pants, no proposals...bite me, NASA :angry:
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    my crunchy granola, new-age, pranic-healing, "angels-are-among-us-but-make-friends-with-Jesus-Ganesh-Buddha-and-Amma-and-Master Cho-just-in-case" friend told me we're in retrograde now. evidently that causes confusion.
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about it, can't find anything good on the internet but my dad sent me this in an email:

the planets are going to be in a once in a lifetime configuration tonight. In the Western sky almost due west, at about 60 degrees, one can see the two brightest "stars" in the sky, very close to each other. The brightest is Jupiter and the other one is Venus. Also in that area is Mercury which can be seen with binoculors and Uranus with a hobby telescope. At some time tonight, they will be in alinement. The will not happen again in our life time. Over in the east, you can see the red tinged twinkle of Mars almost due east at about 50 degrees. Something to show the kids.

Anyone got any more info? I can definitely see Jupiter and Venus.

Cool..... I'm going to look thru my google skymap app on my phone right now, and check it out. Thanks a bazillion. :wink:
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    If you scroll down a bit on that .avi I can see Uranus.

You beat me to it....
    My line " Uranus is bigger than the Earth....."

Yo I typed that before I took my meds too.
    [/quote]