Cellulite

Options
Hi everyone!

I'm just curious to hear how people have successfully gotten rid of their cellulite. My fat is primarily stored in my legs and butt and I have horrible cellulite - even as a kid and as a teenager (when I was about 10 pounds less than I am now). Apart from losing weight, I'm assuming that I have to build muscle there, but I'd like to hear from you guys.

Thanks - I think you're all amazing!

Replies

• fitby38
    fitby38 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    cant permanently get rid of cellulite ... but you can temporarily reduce its appearance.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    Cellulite is actually tissue so you'll NEVER get rid of it unless you opt for surgery. You can reduce the appearance by losing fat weight and some topical treatments that cause swelling to "fill out" the cells, but it's usually genetic and if you have it then go and blame your parents.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Mine has gotten substantially better with weight training (squats, lunges, deadlifts) and dropping fat. I used to have horrible horrible cellulite on my butt, but it's looking better every day now.

Ninerbuff is right though. You can't spot reduce anywhere, just try to condition the muscle in the area and keep eating at a calorie deficit to get rid of your overall fat stores. Women, unfortuantely, carry all our fat in our lower body for the most part (thighs, butts, abdomen). It'll come off in time. Just be patient.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Cellulite is The Enemy. The person that discovers a legit treatment is going to make a fortune. And possibly win the Nobel prize.
  • cinole1706
    Options
    I guess I'm weird. I don't remember seeing any cellulite until I started jogging last summer. I was actually googling whether or not running could cause cellulite and that's how I found this website! It wasn't too bad, but I have noticed less of it recently. I've just been running more and doing leg exercises.
  • Ahluvly
    Ahluvly Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    You'll never get rid of it but you can improve the appearance of it by eating a healthy diet, doing exercise and using a body brush to improve circulation. It's a build up of toxins and, genetics plays a big part in it! After your body brush once over you can slap on a good body lotion to keep the skin hydrated!
  • Masterchef2000
    Masterchef2000 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I've also read that red light therapy can reduce the appearance. Not get rid of it since it can not penetrate that deep into the skin. Although I've only read about it by google and never spoken to anyone who has actually tried it.
  • katiej122
    katiej122 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    The only time the cellutlite on my butt and the back of my legs has really gone away all together (or drastically reduced) was when I was doing weightlifting classes 3 times a week and doing a lot of power walking outside 4-5 days a week...the walking helped the most I think. It is tough to get rid of though!
  • annafonte
    annafonte Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Along with your exercise, try dry skin body brushing - that helps. Doesnt get rid of it but it reduces it. I';ve been doing that for a few months now, and I can see a difference. Makes your skin smooth instantly. Do it before you go in the shower/bath. When doing it, always brush towards your heart. it drains the lymphatic system.

Also drinking lots of water helps too :)
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    there are massages that you can get.....they drain the water from the cellulite, but it tends to be a little on the painful side since its a deep tissue massage.....but you have to really really keep up with it, and it can become an expensive habit. Kim Kardashian got rid of hers by using a machine that essentially does the same thing
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I disagree that you cant get rid of it ....

I have never had celulite (even at a size 18) but my mum had it really bad (and got rid of it using my routine) she's very slim ....

My "routine" is, after a bath / shower every night give your legs and bum (or any affected area) a light oily massage,(5-15 mins) I used to do this all the time because I wore short skirts and liked my legs to be shiny lol

I told my mum to do this massage also and she lost all her celulite within a few months .... its is a routine you need to add to your every day life but im sure that wont be a hassle to be rid of it :)

Once it is gone keep rubbing every night to stop it returning :)
  • fitby38
    fitby38 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I disagree that you cant get rid of it ....

you can disagree ... but you cannot permanently get rid of it ... SORRY
  • wifeygrooms
    Options
    Where do I get this brush????
  • privatetime
    privatetime Posts: 118
    Options
    My understanding is the apoearance of cellulite is due to the direction of the ropey connective tissues, mostly in women. (Most men have connective fibers running perpendicular, which evidently don't result in the orange peel look of surface skin.) Since 90% of women have this formtion of connective tissue, what should be considered abnormal is not having it.

Healthy women with healthy diets can have obvious cellulite. Some obese women don't have cellulite. Either way, mostly thank your parents.

I have some cellulite. It's not so bad that I'm really embarrassed by it, but I would do something to get rid of it, if anything worked.

I agree that whoever is able to permanently and safely improve the look of cellulite will be a trillionaire.

I tried body brushing, which some say works. However, just as many say it worsens the appearance of cellulite, and that's what happened to me. I really didn't have it in me to continue past the 2 months or so I tried daily body brushing. I also noticed a remarkable lack of before & after success story photos on the Internet attributed solely to body brushing. So that, coupled with my own experience, I am uber skeptical about body brushing efficacy.

I tried Nivea's 'Goodbye Cellulite' gel for 3+ months, with no improvement.

20 years ago, I tried the various Biotherm products devoted to cellulite treatment and general skin firming. I didn't see any improvement.

I've had minor success with the Philips 'Cellesse' machine. It's really old (mine may be from the 20th century), and it's one of those personal-use fat-sucking machines that is supposed to help with lymphatic drainage and/or generally smoothing the skin.. I think it was about $500 when I bought it. If you use it regularly and for at least a couple of months, you may see a small improvement. I feel it's a lot of work for such minimal benefit, but I suppose any benefit in the appearance of cellulite is a win. It is a wee bit painful (pinching the skin a bit as it sucks and rolls it), but very easy to get used to. It can be tiring on the arms, as you're supposed to do at least 10 min's per leg, per treatment. My arms are tired after using it. Oh, and you have to stay cool. The machine won't roll over even slightly damp skin. I find that the effort, on warmer days, will cause me to sweat ever so slightly, which makes it impossible to continue. (Good thing I keep my house around 65F, all year 'round.). Mine still works just fine, all these years later, but I have no idea if they even still make these machines, anymore.

Reducing overall fat may help, so anything that scorches fat off your body would likely be beneficial, in this regard. But there are plenty of very skinny women with cellulite. The best thing we can do is accept it as natural (not buy into lies about it being caused by unhealthy habits; as though it's our "fault"), and not make fun of other women's cellulite.