Is this safe?

Options
I have done my best to stay away from posting a topic, but I'm getting kind of nervous and need some other opinions! I've never been able to run... ever... at all... so its been one of my goals with my weightloss journey to learn how to run. When I started I was 320 (so embarassing to say that outloud...) and now at 305. I've done pretty well on the treadmill at the gym. I'm almost complete with C25K, but I"ve done that entirely on the treadmill and can "run" 30 minutes straight, take a break and do another 30 (which I'm super proud of). Then I talked my coworker into training for a 5k that happens to be in just over a week (we started "training" a couple weeks ago outside). However, running outside is a completely different beast and I just started working on that again 3 weeks ago.

I don't have any issues with pain and have worked through any shin splints I was feeling on the treadmill, but going outside I'm having major shin splints (on the side?) and I have started to worry a little about my knees. I know I need to look for a new pair of shoes, but do I need to think about "knee sleeves" or anything like that for outside? Maybe I'm thinking too much about this and I just need to do it?

Regarding the 5k, I know full well I'm going to have to walk some, but I'm ok with this... better than sitting on a couch!
Dead last is greater than not finishing which trumps not starting.

Any suggestions? Ideas? Comments?
Thanks in advance

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm, as you don't have much time - I'd suggest alternating running and walking, and running slow - slower than on the treadmill and see if that helps.
    Good luck!
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I would encourage you to listen to your body, if running is causing pain at this point in your journey I would continue to walk. Don't under estimate using your arms during walks to increase the intensity either. Do you have access to a pool? I know I didn't want to get in my suit, but then someone said to me...'it's hard to tell how big someone is in the water." Made sense to me so I just wrap up in a towel get to the edge of the pool and jump in. Swimming and execising, even walking in the water is great exercise and easy on the joints. Congratulations on the weight loss so far and keep up the good work.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Are you running on sidewalks, the street or dirt? I'm a new runner (week 7 of c25k) and from the reading I've done, sidewalks are supposed to the worst.

I admire you for going for the 5k!! I want to do one as well, but there aren't any in my area until next fall. Gives me a lot of time to train, but I wish it was sooner so I had something in the near future to strive for besides just finishing the program. :smile:
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    dont know much about shin splints.

try slowing down a bit, pacing yourself. pay attention to your stride. try to relax your feet when you run.. i know for me personally i tend to want to flex my foot up when i run which i can feel burning in my shins. if i conciously relax my feet while running it goes away.
  • dan05071978
    dan05071978 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The pain is most likely an issue of working different muscle groups and not shin splints -- which is a form of stress fracture. You state that your technique is probably not right from never running much before. You should try to focus on your landing happening on the inside front of your feet and not the rear outer part of your foot -- this will switch the muscle groups that you are using. The difference comes from a treadmill pulls your foot through the stride -- while you pull your foot through the stride on real ground. -- Hope this helps.
  • Cmacdonald75
    Cmacdonald75 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i recommend run/walk if you do not take it slowly ramping up (increase 10% per week) you can risk stress fractures and worse. i used to be a runner and insisted on training for a half marathon, except my back hurt and i didn't listen to my body. i ended up with a bulging disk and major sciatia nerve pain. i've been able to stablize and maintain without surgery, but i had to give up running. i do lots of different cardio now, walking, swimming, cardio classes. i feel it's better for me to do a variety of cardio than focus on just one kind. also, if your knees and skins are hurting, it's for a reason as others have posted, listen to your body.

you are on the right track, it's always good to sign up for some type of race to get you motivated, but follow some type of training guide and don't try to do too much too fast. trust me.

so i agree with others, run/walk, or mainly walk, who cares, the point is you are doing it. next yr do it again, and you'll improve your time, and continue yrly to have a goal to do this same 5k. it will be gratifying to watch yourself reduce, improve and excel.

one step at a time, and walking on the treadmill is a very good start, and take it slower outside to reduce injuries to your body. if you injure yourself, you have to completely stop! (again I know from experience) so take it slow, but keep your eye on a goal.

good luck and good job!
  • sarscott
    sarscott Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Are you running on sidewalks, the street or dirt? I'm a new runner (week 7 of c25k) and from the reading I've done, sidewalks are supposed to the worst.

I admire you for going for the 5k!! I want to do one as well, but there aren't any in my area until next fall. Gives me a lot of time to train, but I wish it was sooner so I had something in the near future to strive for besides just finishing the program. :smile:

Its a sidewalk...

See if you can pick a 5k now and get signed up for it! I've got this one next week, my coworker and I are doing one in April and I have a few more this year that I"d like to do... Just keeping at it til I can speed it up and run the entire thing :)
    Good luck! Have fun!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I wonder if a different surface might make a difference. Going from treadmill to concrete might be the culprit? I hate shin splints - thankfully I've not had them once since I started c25k. My route takes me mostly on dirt and some pavement, but I'm on on the sidewalk during the warm up & cool down walks.

I hope the pain subsides and you are able to keep going without problems!