First 5k

Options
My first 5k race is this weekend. Does anyone have any tips? I've been training all week, and I've been thinking about taking the day off one day before.

Replies

• Redsockmama
    Redsockmama Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I love to run those 5K races, Did my very first last fall at age 60, Now I find one a month to run.

I don't know if it's common sense or my kids take advantage of me, but we always get together for pasta/salad early in the evening before the race. We also take the day before the race off as far as running goes.

Let us know how you do!

Jan
  • leadoff
    leadoff Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Depending on how my legs feel throughout the week and how hard I have been training, I like to get a mile or two on the track the day before to help dial in my pace.

A couple of tips....

1. Do some ballistic stretching prior to the race, and get in a couple of minutes of running right before the race starts.
    2. AVOID the WATER STATION (if it is offered)....you don't need it for a 5K, and if you haven't practiced drinking and running, you will only find yourself gasping for breath. :)

Good luck!
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Good luck in your first 5K... you'll do GREAT!!!

There are a few really good articles about running your first race, in particular a 5K, out on ACTIVE.COM. Check out the articles in the middle of the page titled, "Tips to Run a 5K": http://www.active.com/running/newbie-runners/

One of the best tips I received was.... if you haven't run before at the time of day that your race is, try to do that. For example, I usually run mid-day, so... I made sure I ran a few morning runs before my first AM 5K... so I knew what to expect that early in the day. I also try to rest at least 1-2 days before my race. I know 5K isn't a very long distance, but... when you are a new runner, it is... I actually did better than my training because I rested a few days before.

And most importantly... enjoy yourself and have fun. Your first race is always one you will remember!!!!
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Don't do anything strenuous the day before. Eat and drink about two hours before hand if you can.
    Start out sensible, hang on in the middle and go for it when the end is in sight!