15 days on and no consistent weight loss

Options
fmbomzo
fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
I'm trying to stay motivated. I know I've had some wacky diet days, but I've incorporated more consistent exercise (strength and cardio). Before I started logging here, I'd already eliminated red meat. I only drink water and green tea -- no soda or juices. I eliminated poultry in February by substituting meatless items (soy burgers, black bean burgers). I do eat seafood. I drink about 80 oz of water daily plus 3 servings of unsweetened green tea. I do have a sweet tooth, but either try to curb it or add exercise to counter the calories.

With all of that, I still cannot manage to lose weight. I lost 10 lbs in 12 days eating a raw food diet. I have not gained that back. But since being on here, I cannot manage to break the plateau and stay below it. I've lost an additional 3 lbs or so, but then it's back within a few days and it's like a yo-yo. I have 45 more lbs to lose. 3 weeks with no real weight loss is frustrating.

Also, I started the Supreme 90 day workout today and it requires more than the 1200 calories MFP set for me and it exceeds the recommended protein. What do I do?

I do a mixture of the 17 day diet workouts (cardio abs or total body) plus 30 minutes of core cross train yoga. Or I will do a combination of cardio and strength training in the gym for about an hour total. I take the stairs at work instead of the elevator. I get up and move around frequently.

What should I change? Or do I just stay the course. I'm thinking about interval fasting to shake things up a bit.

Replies

• chubberlang
    Options
    Interesting comments. I'm no expert and i struggle at times to understand some of the complexities of weight loss. However, keeping it simple is always a good idea. Calories in v calories out. Most people 1/ do not caculate calorie intake correctly 2/ go off track by complicating their diet & becomng more extreme or incorporating strange and unecessary foods. 3/ do not weigh themselves correctly & regularly. If you use more calories than you consume you will lose weight.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    So basically you're 2 weeks in and are frustrated you're not skinny yet?! HELLLO!!! Give it some time! You can do it - don't freak out after such a short amount of time. You haven't even given anything a chance to work - eat healthy, exercise and let things happen!
  • Robbie32
    Robbie32 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Interesting comments. I'm no expert and i struggle at times to understand some of the complexities of weight loss. However, keeping it simple is always a good idea. Calories in v calories out. Most people 1/ do not caculate calorie intake correctly 2/ go off track by complicating their diet & becomng more extreme or incorporating strange and unecessary foods. 3/ do not weigh themselves correctly & regularly. If you use more calories than you consume you will lose weight.

Agree. Maybe you just intaking too many calories. Good Luck! Limit your sweats to one serving a day or even half a serving if the sweat is fattening I like to mix a bag of mand m's with some check mix and eat it over the course of 2 days :smile:
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diet diary. I get a bit of a concern that you are cutting out all the meat and such - if you substitute it with soy you knwo that soy is full of hormones don't you? And meatless sausages may well not be any better for you.

What are the calorie counts on these things?

As to the killer exercise thing, go with what the killer exercise diet says. You'll need the extra protein etc. 1200 cals a day is only for people not exercising.
  • BreakinTheChains
    BreakinTheChains Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    So basically you're 2 weeks in and are frustrated you're not skinny yet?! HELLLO!!! Give it some time! You can do it - don't freak out after such a short amount of time. You haven't even given anything a chance to work - eat healthy, exercise and let things happen!

Exactly !!!
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Stop talking about exercise and just EAT LESS. The ONLY reason why underweight people are underweight and why overweight people are overweight is FOOD!

Oversimplification honestly. Most overweight people have a combination of not moving for **** and eating too much as well.
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    It would be helpful if we could see your food diary... and to the person who said 'eat less,' I really think that depends how much the OP is eating!? If they are only netting 700cals, it wouldn't make sense to suggest eating less.
  • salxtai
    salxtai Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Measurements are just as important as sheer weight loss.
    - decreases in fat but increase in muscle can essentially cancel out, or even increase, weight changes but will be noticable in the inches/cm. That's the case for me.

With that much exercise, 1200 is sounding a bit low to me for a daily cal limit. I eat 1700+/day and I do 50 min gym sessions x 3 a week + `1-2 x martial arts.
  • gtfcnat
    gtfcnat Posts: 199
    Options
    Unless you put all the weight on in 15 days, why should you expect to lose it in 15 days? :smile:
  • bfbooty
    bfbooty Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    firstly stop weighing yourself so often your body weight fluctuates constantly due to fluids e.t.c at the very most you should weigh yourself weekly the same time every week but recommended is to weigh in 2weekly to monthly.

2ndly 3lb loss in 2 weeks is absolutely fine and normal what do you expect to be loosing???? normal weight loss that is most likely to stay off averages at 1-2 pound a week

and make sure you are eating your min daily cal allowance otherwise your body can go into starvation mode which makes your body store food as fat if it's not getting enough it'll hang onto what it is getting, when your exercising you earn extra cals so you should def be eating your min daily allowance for sure
  • Lunawatuna
    Lunawatuna Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Walk for 2 hours a day. I had the same problem as you, but then as soon as I added a 2 or three hour walk to the strength training, the weight started to move.
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Big weight loss, then slow down is par for the course. You lost a lot of weight! Slow downs happen. Then they happen again and again. Stay the course. This might take 6 months or a year. Measure yourself. Because the scale is only one measurement of how you are changing. There are your clothes, your measurements, your body composition, and it's all re-arranging. This is a long term commitment. Get in the long term game. Do what's sustainable for you. It's not bing bang boom, you are done. This takes practice, failure, and overall you will see success only if you are persistant. Take pictures. Lots. Keep them and put them side by side often. Because sometimes the brain hasn't noticed all the changes in the mirror. But pictures, side by side, will tell a truer story in your visual of yourself. I still am astonished at my own. It keeps me going, and keeps me from going back.

The average adult gains some every year. You are reversing that already. Winner.
  • fmbomzo
    Options
    I can't see your diet diary. I get a bit of a concern that you are cutting out all the meat and such - if you substitute it with soy you knwo that soy is full of hormones don't you? And meatless sausages may well not be any better for you.

What are the calorie counts on these things?

As to the killer exercise thing, go with what the killer exercise diet says. You'll need the extra protein etc. 1200 cals a day is only for people not exercising.

I've cut out the soy items as well now. I just added them in to ease myself off poultry. I'm down to just seafood now. The calorie counts are about 170 calories for a serving (1 patty on the meatless entrees). Thanks for the advice on the exercise program. I'm gong to get a heart rate monitor so that I can accurately assess the calories burned because I know that I'm tracking my caloric intake correctly. When in doubt, I err on the side of attribution more calories to a food item than less.
  • fmbomzo
    Options

I weigh daily because I don't want to get scale shock from waiting too long between weigh-ins. As for my food choices, I'm trying to move to a diet without red meat and poultry, just because I have more energy when I eat less meat. I agree that weight loss seems complex; weight gain is easy.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    +100
  • fmbomzo
    Options

I'm 2 weeks in on this site. I'm not 2 weeks in on the lifestyle changes. Hence the frustration. I was on this road January one year ago and was able to drop 18 lbs. Then after a series of events (illness, accident, surgery), I gained back about half of it after having to stop working out while I recovered. After that, I gave up and just let it ride. I started back in January of this year with the raw food cleanse and dropped 10 lbs and hovered down and back up to the net 10 lb loss. Never went back under 10 lbs lost, but I can't seem to push the needle any further so far.
  • akiramezu
    akiramezu Posts: 278
    Options
    give it another year. you expect too much in little time
  • fmbomzo
    Options
    Thanks for the comments. I'm sticking with it. I just might throw the scale across the room though. I will stick with my exercise plan because I enjoy the variety I've been able to create with a mixture of workouts.
  • bigaussiebloke
    bigaussiebloke Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Feeling your pain...I have been going since January and Nada loss....
  • akiramezu
    akiramezu Posts: 278
    Options
    First of all weight loss cannot be consistent because it is not something we can keep linear.
    So many things can contribute to weight loss as well as weight gain.
    1. the food you eat (daily calories)
    2. the liquids you drink
    3. your current state of mind
    4. your current state of health (a flu or cold can f**k everything up
    5. your environment
    6. the people around you
    7. the amount you sleep
    list goes on, but i mentioned quite the most important things

God damn, if weight loss was consistent and we could all lose 2 pounds a week and keep at it
    until we reached our goal without any stoppages, hell, we'd all get where we wanted sooner then later
    and there would be less MFP users, who've been logging for months and years.

My own experience right now, is that i was 158 pounds 4 days ago, now currently i'm 166 pounds.
    I gained 8 pounds in a few days, am i annoyed? nope. Cause shi*t happens and our bodies
    don't always function the way we want it to. But despite my weight gain, i went from 16-17% body fat to 15% body fat.
    My point is, don't ever use the scale to gauge your progress, the scale is the devil, and you should just get rid of it. :)