Coconut oil?

Options
Interested in trying it (for many other reasons than just diet) but am looking for the best brand. Any suggestions?

Replies

• bigredhearts
    Options
    bumping my own post in hopes i might recieve some suggestions :smile:
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for the health benefits of coconut oil, then get extra virgin. Also, heating it breaks down the molecular structure therefore negating the benefits you are looking for. Start with vitacost.com. They have a good selection
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you live - Here in New Zealand I use the Ceres Organic Brand - Extra Virgin......
    I would be happy to use any of the Extra Virgin Brands that they stock at my local Organic Store.....
  • bigredhearts
    Options
    do you mean heat it for cooking? or in general? and thank you!
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options

Heating it in general...if you want to use it as a supplement for the health benefits, use a capsule. If you want to use it for cooking, use a low heat.
  • khrystyna82
    khrystyna82 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    As long as it is extra virgin and cold pressed,I don't think it matters on the brand but most are around the $8 mark. I use it as a hair mask and skin lotion plus the cooking aspect. Its amazing stuff.
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    My doc said it would be good as a personal lubricant.
  • angelasmith230
    angelasmith230 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I use Spectrum organic coconut oil. I have seen it sold in most supermarkets.. I like it so far .. not sure about any other brands
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options

I use it for cooking, as well as in my coffee, green tea (I know it sounds terrible), I am doing Paleo, so not eating dairy at the moment, so I need extra fat in my diet - it also helps to stay satiated....

Before Paleo if I was peckish I would have eaten cottage cheese or yoghurt - now I put a bit (small teaspoon) of coconut oil in my hot drink.....
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    *silly question alert*

Does coconut oil taste like... well... coconut?

I'm over in NZ too and wouldn't mind giving it a bash!
  • PetersonMatthew
    Options
    I use Spectrum Organic Virgin Coconut Oil. Use a little with your eggs and your get a very tasty eggs. Adds very good flavor to your food. Only set back I know you get from using it is the temp. Max is 280*f.

Reading the back of the jar and it says you can warm it up and use on hair and skin. Never tried it but might now.
  • bigredhearts
    Options
    *silly question alert*

some do and some dont from what i read... it has so many health benefits and uses, i just want a kind that is reputable.
  • PetersonMatthew
    Options
    *silly question alert*

Yes, it's very good and smells amazing.
  • bigredhearts
    Options
    My doc said it would be good as a personal lubricant.

unless you use latex, apparently the two dont get along so well lol
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I use sungods brand. Its a good quality oil
    I think capsules are a bit of a ripoff. I buy the organic virgin oil in a jar and measure it out using a tablspoon measure. I just use it as a dressing on whatever I eat. Usually salad as I have raw food every day. If I did a stir fry I would jst mix it in after cooking.
  • katydid25
    katydid25 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of a biased source, but I LOVE the coconut oil from Swanson Health Products: http://www.swansonvitamins.com/SWF035/ItemDetail

It's minimally processed, raw, unrefined, nonhydrogenated and stable at high temperatures. I use it for a TON of different things!
  • bigredhearts
    Options
    awesome input guys! im going to research all the suggested brands! i even have my grandma interested in its benefits!
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah it is great in hair and I use it after showering on my skin. (Smells awesome)
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I bought some recently- but it came in a glass bottle! I can't get any of it out without having it go all over the place! Be sure to get a jar that you can fit a spoon into to actually get it out. I used it once, in a cake from chocolatecoveredkatie and it smelled amazing, but I don't want to make a big mess again. Does anyone have any suggestions for this problem?
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Quick question(s) ... I have googled this online after reading a really interesting topic on here about coconut. Many suggested the unrefined virgin coconut oil, I guess the unrefined is what gives it the coconut smell and flavor ??? true or not?

Also some sites it's in glass bottles (maybe plastic for shipping) and others look like big tubs of it. Which is best? Now if it's in a tub would be solid like a lets say waxy shea butter consistency? (best example I can think of this early!)

Thanks!
    Sorry to hog your thread!