Weight loss - cardio v resistance training

Options

Replies

• wingchunrick
    wingchunrick Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I've started what I class as lifting weights, I've been doing the 30DS with 2 x 2.5kg dumbbells. I do this about 2-3 times a week and I also do 3 x 1 hour intense cardio.

My arms are killing and sometimes get the shakes! so i must be doing something, right?

I've just gained 4lbs in the last 10 days but lost inches.

where do I start with weights - at home? What weight is enough? I used to rsi in my wrists years ago and really don't want to over do it and aggrevate it again.

How much weight and how often is good to make a difference?

(Holiday in 9 weeks and want to be 2 dress sizes down - whether it shows in inches or weight on scale I don't care- but think inches are better as I would love to be toned - probably a very long way off for me).

Thanks. x

Christime

It seems to me that you're doing exactly the right thing apart from the long cardio. You would be better off with hight intensity interval training, rather than an hour. Half an hour of this would be so much better for you. Also, try working on the bigger muscle groups when doing your weights. Squats and deadlifts are two of the best workouts you can do for maximizing fat loss.
    That said, if its working then just carry on, so long as you enjoy it and you're getting results.

Hope that makes sense.

Rick
  • wingchunrick
    Options
    I've started what I class as lifting weights, I've been doing the 30DS with 2 x 2.5kg dumbbells. I do this about 2-3 times a week and I also do 3 x 1 hour intense cardio.

My arms are killing and sometimes get the shakes! so i must be doing something, right?

I've just gained 4lbs in the last 10 days but lost inches.

where do I start with weights - at home? What weight is enough? I used to rsi in my wrists years ago and really don't want to over do it and aggrevate it again.

How much weight and how often is good to make a difference?

(Holiday in 9 weeks and want to be 2 dress sizes down - whether it shows in inches or weight on scale I don't care- but think inches are better as I would love to be toned - probably a very long way off for me).

Thanks. x

Christime

It seems to me that you're doing exactly the right thing apart from the long cardio. You would be better off with hight intensity interval training, rather than an hour. Half an hour of this would be so much better for you. Also, try working on the bigger muscle groups when doing your weights. Squats and deadlifts are two of the best workouts you can do for maximizing fat loss.
    That said, if its working then just carry on, so long as you enjoy it and you're getting results.

Hope that makes sense.

Rick

Sorry for my typo of your name Christine....
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Great post. Very informational.
  • beduffbrickie
    beduffbrickie Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Also, keep in mind that getting a lean and fit physique has more to do with losing body fat while maintaining (or gaining) lean muscle mass than losing weight. In fact, when you get to a relatively low fat body fat percentage such as 14 - 17% for men and 21- 24% for women, weight loss becomes somewhat irrelevant. You can lose fat and gain lean muscle at the same rate so your body weight actually doesn't change much at all, while still dramatically improving your physique.

I agreed up until here. It is actually quite difficult to gain lean muscle and lose fat at the same time. It is much more effecient to do bulk and cut cycles where during the bulk you eat at a caloric surplus and do everything you mentioned so most of your gain is lean muscle, the for the cut cycle you eat at a small deficit and do what you suggest to lose body fat while retaining lean muscle.

Unless you are new to working out or returning after an extended period of not lifting it is extremely difficult to have lean muscle gains while in a caloric deficit or while losing fat.

I have never brought into that bulk and cut cycle bollocks, I think its just a reason for people to eat as much as they like, but thats my opinion. I believe you can build muscle and lose fat at the same time. OP great post!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Also, keep in mind that getting a lean and fit physique has more to do with losing body fat while maintaining (or gaining) lean muscle mass than losing weight. In fact, when you get to a relatively low fat body fat percentage such as 14 - 17% for men and 21- 24% for women, weight loss becomes somewhat irrelevant. You can lose fat and gain lean muscle at the same rate so your body weight actually doesn't change much at all, while still dramatically improving your physique.

I agreed up until here. It is actually quite difficult to gain lean muscle and lose fat at the same time. It is much more effecient to do bulk and cu

t cycles where during the bulk you eat at a caloric surplus and do everything you mentioned so most of your gain is lean muscle, the for the cut cycle you eat at a small deficit and do what you suggest to lose body fat while retaining lean muscle.

Unless you are new to working out or returning after an extended period of not lifting it is extremely difficult to have lean muscle gains while in a caloric deficit or while losing fat.

I have never brought into that bulk and cut cycle bollocks, I think its just a reason for people to eat as much as they like, but thats my opinion. I believe you can build muscle and lose fat at the same time. OP great post!

sorry to burst your bubble but bulk and cut cycles are way more efficient then trying to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. And how does a cut cycle lead to eating as much as they want? while in a cut you would have to restrict more then at maintenance.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I believe a lot of the OP is true, though if you are losing weight you are likely losing muscle even if you are lifting. It's darn near impossible not to lose muscle along with fat. But it's true you will lose more with just cardio than if you also do strength training. And I do wish people would stop assuming all women that don't lift don't because they believe they'll end up looking like a man. We're really not all that stupid.

But as an aerobic lover that does only enough strength training to keep things from sagging, not because I think I'll look like a man but because I simply loathe lifting, I'd like to point out that there is a very good reason to do cardio. It's the same reason aerobic exercises are so often refered to as "cardio". It's very good for your heart. Plus it makes my tummy and legs look nice.
  • brismom070897
    brismom070897 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Fitwam
    Fitwam Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Gosh...I love reading this stuff! Still learning....
    I just started the JM Body Revolution and having done some of her videos before....I think she does a good job of isolating muscles and compound moves. You can use whatever lb dumbells you want to add more challenges to the moves. In her sequence, she'll usually add about a minute of cardio..which leads to a total of 4 minutes (it least in her first two workouts of this series). I can feel it in my glutes and arms already and it's day 2!

As one previous poster said..I fall into the trap as soon as I start "gaining" instead of losing when I am lifting...I don't like it! I am trying to lose weight! Would it not be better to drop the lbs (those last peskly 8 to 10) and then pick up the heavy weights? Otherwise I feel as if I am building muscle over fat!
  • EmeriaDewes
    Options
    THANKS
  • beduffbrickie
    beduffbrickie Posts: 642 Member
    Options

I agreed up until here. It is actually quite difficult to gain lean muscle and lose fat at the same time. It is much more effecient to do bulk and cu

t cycles where during the bulk you eat at a caloric surplus and do everything you mentioned so most of your gain is lean muscle, the for the cut cycle you eat at a small deficit and do what you suggest to lose body fat while retaining lean muscle.

sorry to burst your bubble but bulk and cut cycles are way more efficient then trying to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. And how does a cut cycle lead to eating as much as they want? while in a cut you would have to restrict more then at maintenance.

You havent bust any bubble my friend, what you said is a fair comment, like I said just my opinion. I feel the bulk and cut cycle is out dated. and find other stuff works for me. But this could be different for other people.
  • firstnamekaren
    firstnamekaren Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Ok I'd really like for a myth to be cleared up for me. I have some 50 lbs to lose - I like lifting, but am told that I should focus on more cardio right now to burn fat, and THEN get more into lifting. I really want to try the New Rules of Lifting for Women, but even that book says it's not for people trying to lose as much weight as I am. So I dunno what to do.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Ok I'd really like for a myth to be cleared up for me. I have some 50 lbs to lose - I like lifting, but am told that I should focus on more cardio right now to burn fat, and THEN get more into lifting. I really want to try the New Rules of Lifting for Women, but even that book says it's not for people trying to lose as much weight as I am. So I dunno what to do.

Yes do the program, if you focus on cardio you may end up skinny fat, healthy BMI with a high BF%, lifting weights will help retain your muscle as you lose weight. And you can lose weight with no cardio, but to retain muscle you must challenge your muscles so your body thinks they are needed.

Cardio is good for endurance and your heart but is 100% unnecessary to lose weight as all that takes is a modest deficit, which you can get from diet alone, exercise along, or a combination of both.
  • AbiNichole
    AbiNichole Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Great post! I agree w/ the OP on everything. It is very tough to lose pure fat of course. But the combination exercises he mentioned are key!

I do a mix of cardio and weight lifting. When I weight lift I either do targeted muscle group super sets OR heavy lifting-combination exercises. So far the mixture has been working best for me.

For ppl just starting out I HIGHLY recommend doing heavy weight lifting w/ combination exercises. Like shoulder raises with lateral squats or single leg You'll spend less time in the gym and burn a ton of calories!

:wink:
  • OnWisconsin84
    OnWisconsin84 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Amen. Cardio endurance training lead to me being skinny fat. I'm correcting that over the next 6 months or so. The bad part is that I _believe_ if I'd just done weights and lite cardio over the last year I would have already achieved my goals.

I'm in the same boat :huh:
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU.

People need to learn how to focus on FAT LOSS and MUSCLE GAIN... NOT the number on the scale dropping. Personally, I'd like to lose 10 pounds of FAT, not muscle.

Heck, if I REALLY wanted to lose "weight", I could just chop off an arm or something.
  • reshapemariah21
    reshapemariah21 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    What is considered "Heavy Lifting" for a woman.. At home, With no gym membership,
    An obese woman at that? 220+

I'm interested in lifting but I don't have equipment or know what equipment to start off with. I'm also low on cash.

Message me.
  • wingchunrick
    Options
    What is considered "Heavy Lifting" for a woman.. At home, With no gym membership,
    An obese woman at that? 220+

I'm interested in lifting but I don't have equipment or know what equipment to start off with. I'm also low on cash.

Message me.

Have you thought about kettlebell training. It will work both your heart and your body and gives a great burn. I incorpoarate it at leat once a week into my routines and it would be good for you as you'll only need one or two pieves of equipment. The only thing to be wary of is form as its so important to get it right but there are classes or online advice for it. Please feel free to add me as a friend.
  • wingchunrick
    Options

Nooooo, hit the weights. If you insist on cardio, do High Intensity Interval Training. (HIIT)
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    bump.... i love this and i need this info.... i have dropped almost 50lbs but lost all my muscle... getting it back is a pain in the *kitten*... i mean in the gym it looks like im a wimp with 30lbs dumbells but i guess i did this to myself by not researching...

but i dont care, you have to start again. At least though, i can see more definition as i lift more as opposed to before.
  • reshapemariah21
    reshapemariah21 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about kettlebell training. It will work both your heart and your body and gives a great burn. I incorpoarate it at leat once a week into my routines and it would be good for you as you'll only need one or two pieves of equipment. The only thing to be wary of is form as its so important to get it right but there are classes or online advice for it. Please feel free to add me as a friend.

Hmm, I'll definitely have to try that! Any suggestions as to how heavy for starters?