HIIT??

Options
hey,
every one is talking about losing stacks of weight doing HIIT, what is this magical exercise and how do i do it?
my gym sessions are a bit samey and I would like to do this and step things up :)

what to do/how often?

Replies

• rhodesar
    rhodesar Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mickyjd
    mickyjd Posts: 97
    Options
    I did Insanity (HIIT) for 2 months and my cardio is now off the chart and I lost 14 pounds (only need to lose another 4 and I'm at my ideal weight). I thoroughly recommend this type of training.

http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/insanity.do

have a look :)
  • krnlcsf
    krnlcsf Posts: 310
    Options
    Below is one that I got in another forum post. The High Intensity/Sprint can be anything... doesn't necessarily have to be running. If you're on a spin bike it would be like working at your peak for the 15 sec or whatever. Point is you should be gasping for air after the sprint, and recover during the "jog". I've also tried the Turbo Fire HIIT workout this week and REALLY like it. I've done it twice... you get a serious sweat on by about 5 minutes in. :) Also, if you Google HIIT you'll get a lot of websites... and there are Apps for your phone to help you time your workouts.

Anyway, below is what i found in another post.

HIIT Workout (=45 minutes, before cooldown/stretch) Begin with a warm up for 2 minutes.
    The first phase

The first part of the workout is short interval HIIT with a long recovery ratio.
    For these intervals, you sprint 15 seconds and recover (jog) for 45 seconds.

Perform 8 sets of this type of HIIT for a total workout of 8 minutes.

The second phase25 minutes of steady state cardio (light paced jog)
    This provides an active recovery for your muscles.

The final phase
    Is performing long interval HIIT with short recovery periods.
    This will fully deplete your body of glycogen allowing for a greater after-burn effect and fat burning once your workout is complete. For these intervals, 1 minute sprint with 1 minute of jogging.
    (The sprint intervals for this portion are not as intense as the first phase, by necessity as your muscles will be slightly tired.) Perform 5 sets of this type of HIIT for a total workout of 10 minutes.

So there you have a 45 minute HIIT workout that I believe is the best cardio for weight loss.This routine should allow you to burn belly fat fast no matter how close or far you are from your ideal weight.
  • BaileyKat52
    BaileyKat52 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    HIIT is supposed to be a short intense workout. High intensity interval training. So, from what I've learned it seems that 45 minutes would be too long, you probably only need about 20 min. Bascially you are supposed to be doing the intense part so intense that you wouldn't be able to do it that long. You do bursts of cardio for a short period of time then rest and repeat. So, say you were on a treadmill...you'd run as fast as you possibly could for 30-60 seconds, then walk for 60-90 secs and repeat for 15-30 minutes, depending on your level of fitness.
  • nibbynoo
    nibbynoo Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    i might try this on the bikes tonight then.

so something like 30 seconds as fast as i can, then 60 seconds slowly and keep repeating?
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I do it on the treadmill 3 times a week...

2 minutes walking and 1 minute as fast as I can go for about 20-25 minutes. At my weight thats the minimum I can do to get my heart rate back to normal before running again.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Sounds great! Xxx
  • billtonkin
    billtonkin Posts: 109
    Options
    I do HIIT using my heart rate. I warm up by walking and getting my HR up to about 60%. Then, I sprint unitl I hit 90% HR, then walk again until my HR comes down to about 60-65%. Rinse and repeat. 20 minutes is enough, not counting the warm up.

I do this twice a week, and one normal 65% HR low impact cardio session of 45 minutes.
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I just started doing this instead of 5 cardio sessions each week lasting 45 min:

2x a week on the treadmill : sprint for 1 min, walk for 2 min, sprint for 1 min etc... repeat
    Do this for 30 min.

1x week, 45 min cardio, steady pace of incline walking, usually 3.5 at 10-12% incline.

Occasional walks with my dogs....
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I do HIIT using my heart rate. I warm up by walking and getting my HR up to about 60%. Then, I sprint unitl I hit 90% HR, then walk again until my HR comes down to about 60-65%. Rinse and repeat. 20 minutes is enough, not counting the warm up.

I do this twice a week, and one normal 65% HR low impact cardio session of 45 minutes.

or just what he ^^ said lol

i also lift HEAVY weights 3x wk on top of that
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    My favorite HIIT website:

www.bodyrock.tv

And here is a timer you can use online!:

http://www.beach-fitness.com/tabata/
  • billtonkin
    billtonkin Posts: 109
    Options
    i also lift HEAVY weights 3x wk on top of that

Yes, this too. That makes you sexy in my book. ;)
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    My HIIT workout is Crossfit = amazing :)
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    i might try this on the bikes tonight then.

so something like 30 seconds as fast as i can, then 60 seconds slowly and keep repeating?

My cycling HIIT is 30 minutes. 5 minute warmup then 10 x 1 minute intensity followed by 1 minute recovery per rep, then 5 minute cool down.
  • Kaleonar
    Kaleonar Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    bump
  • countdowntotarget
    countdowntotarget Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    BUMP for later x
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I did Insanity (HIIT) for 2 months and my cardio is now off the chart and I lost 14 pounds (only need to lose another 4 and I'm at my ideal weight). I thoroughly recommend this type of training.

http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/insanity.do

have a look :)

I though Insanity was max intensity interval training (long periods of high intensity followed by short recovery)

OP: HIIT is usually a 1:1 or a 1:3 ratio with recovery. If doing HIIT at a track or treadmill you essentially sprint for 30 seconds to 1 minute, then do a recovery walk/jog for the same duration, or up to 3 times as long. so you can sprint for 30 seconds, recovery 30 seconds, repeat, or sprint 1 min recover 2 min repeat.

Since it is high intensity the workout only need to last for 15-20 minutes, if you can go longer, then push yourself harder.
  • nibbynoo
    nibbynoo Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    i wanna start lifting heavy weights to but don't know where to start! lol
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Someone on here told me what I'm doing it HIIT...

I used my full body/resistant stationary bike (three days per week--twice per that day) for 10 minutes only, do 10 seconds really super FAST/Intense pedalling followed by 10 seconds of really slow/super relaxed pedalling so on and so forth for 10 minutes.

This may sound like a whiz or super easy, but for me, it's so HARD. I can't get past 6 minutes without almost having to mop the floor, because of so much sweat/fat crying. Even 10-15 minutes AFTER I'm done...I'll still be sweating profusely. So, what I'm doing to working my way up to the 10 minutes. starting with 1 minutes at a time (10 seconds intense followed by 10 seconds relaxed for 1 minute and working my way up. Even this one minutes 10 seconds intense/relaxed is SUPER sweat producing.