Anyone get that feeling....

Options
When, you feel as though you're just destined to be fat?

Wehn I started MFP I quickly lost 8Ibs taking me from 12st7Ibs to 11st10ibs "great!" I thought. Then, aunt Flo visits, and I gain 4Ibs back. Which bummed me out. But I lost it, plus another 1Ib - bringing me to my "current" weight of 11st9Ibs.

I stepped back onto the scales and find that I've gained a pound and a bit back, ignore it for the week, thnking "water", the second week I just tell myself the scales are broken. The third week and I have to admit, I'm getting supicious. I'm having a proper psychological denial about the while thing at the moment.

I'm working out 5days/week, burning around 2500+ kcal over the 5 days. I have been eating back my exercise kcal - all apart from this week (which is my 3rd week seeing no loss) and that doesn't appear to have changed anything.

Anyway, I KNOW it will take time but.....does anyone know of people who CAN'T lose weight? Even when they're trying? I'm eating better, working at cutting down my sugar and processed crap (have been over on sugar for the past couple of weeks....could that cause a plateau? Body would choose glucose over fat to burn?) and exercising more, yet seem to be gaining!

I know the scales aren't the only way to measure yourself, and I've lost about 5" overall, had a 4%loss in BF and my resting heart rate has gone from 78 to 66. But WHAT IF I never lose this weight???

Anyway, sorry I had to get the negative stuff out. I'm normally positive....honest ;) Need some loves to help my bummed out hour pass!

Thoughts/suggestions welcome.

Replies

• azazelrabbit
    Options
    Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.
    I feel like I'll nver have a gorgeous body. It sucks.

BUT KEEP POSITIVE SQUIDGEY! WE CAN DO THIS!

Lots of loves coming your way :loves: :hugs: :loves:
  • pomjt
    pomjt Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    you could be going through a period of turning the fat to muscle which wont help the figures on te scales ???
    also if your body starts getting in to a routine it will plato and your weight loss will become stagnent try changing what things your eating so your body isnt use to it ???
    im still fairly new at this and tis is just some ideas that i would suggest that people have said to me in the past :)
  • pomjt
    Options
    but try to stay positive ...and yes you are very good at it you are helping me loads .... imagination is stronger then will power so maybe have a photo of you when you were the weigh you want to get to and each morning just picture your self at the end goal xx
  • katherinemm31
    Options
    I believe we build our own destiny. Change the philosophy, change the direction of your life. Not that I am saying it's easy or anything. You'll have to move outside your comfort zone, take risks and do what it takes. Positive change starts in the head and heart. My two cents.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Awww, I love you guys xD Thank you for the responses! Ok, must think positive.....WE WILL DO THIS, you're right Azaz xD Thank you, I can feel the loves filtering in now xD *hug*

And Pomster you're a great help too, your diary is giving me ideas! :) Yeah, I think I've seen people mention "mixing it up" .....do they mean like, eat food with a different composition? or just different types of the same stuff?

Ok, positve mental attitude....
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Options
    I believe we build our own destiny. Change the philosophy, change the direction of your life. Not that I am saying it's easy or anything. You'll have to move outside your comfort zone, take risks and do what it takes. Positive change starts in the head and heart. My two cents.

Thanks Katherine :) I also believe in making our own way and in self fulfilling prophecy....I suppose that's what I'm doing.

But what exactly do you mean? Do you think it's a psychological thing? Or that I should start trying different sports?
  • Pinkmaddycat
    Pinkmaddycat Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Did you exercise before you tried to lose weight and start tracking.

When i started on this journey i was losing very little and was up and down like you, i was exercising maybe 3/5 times a week. The scales were hardly doing anything.

So i stopped exercising and just focused on eating well, i upped my cals as i was on a target for 2lb a week but it just wasnt enough food to sustain me, so i changed to a goal of 1lb a week and ate more cals. Lo and behold i have lost more like this than i was ever going to before with low cals and lots of exercise. Now i have lost a stone i might start exercising just to tone up, i really am not that worried at the minute about exercise, however i would like to get fitter in time, although with less weight to carry around it will be easy when the time is right.

I know everyones experiences are different, but i would suggest cutting your exercise down, unless of course its part of your life you would rather maintain than the weight loss, just for even a week or two and see if it makes any difference, then check what your weekly weight loss goal is and see if its realistic and you body physically needs more just to get you through the day.

Good luck
  • Lynnhealthpro
    Options
    Im SOOOO there with you. It helps me to take the focus off the scale and more on how my clothes fit and how my workouts are getting easier. The scale is only one form of measurement. I refused to be reduced to a number and so should you. We are far more than those numbers. You write with intelligence, from your profile pic I see that you have a sense of humor. You are awesome! Yes we will lose weight AND in the process we are absolutely AAHHHmazing!
  • pomjt
    Options
    both hunni eat different things and mix up what you are already eating ....
    it shocks the body that have froze and gets it losing again
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Options
    @Pink - I wasn't exercising at all (I really mean at all) before I started on this venture...I'd worry if i stopped exercising i'd never get back into it, and the running/wimming i'm doing now is just starting to get easier - i'm running further and faster and same for swimming. Guess i won't have both :( maybe i'll just be fat and fit...

@Lynn - Thank you xD You're right, to HELL with the numbers xD We CAN do this. Thank you for your lovely post :)

@Pomster - roger, I will try eating more fatty stuff and see what my body makes of THAT! Ha, I will outfox it :)
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Options
    @Pink - I wasn't exercising at all (I really mean at all) before I started on this venture...I'd worry if i stopped exercising i'd never get back into it, and the running/wimming i'm doing now is just starting to get easier - i'm running further and faster and same for swimming. Guess i won't have both :( maybe i'll just be fat and fit...

@Lynn - Thank you xD You're right, to HELL with the numbers xD We CAN do this. Thank you for your lovely post :)

@Pomster - roger, I will try eating more fatty stuff and see what my body makes of THAT! Ha, I will outfox it :)
  • pomjt
    Options
    dont forget with all the good eating and keeping fit your body also needs time to rest so make sure you are getting time out for you at some point
  • Balice57
    Balice57 Posts: 125
    Options
    Squidgey - Hey, it's taken me almost a month to lose another 2 pounds, but this morning I had to pin my slouchy pants to keep them from falling off. If you're enjoying the exercise, certainly continue, but I think your body is probably in shock if you weren't exercising at all (like me) and then started a heavy regimen. I just about shot my scale last week, then decided to take my measurements and I had lost inches in some places. I know I'm looking different. I'm also feeling so much better, and that's worth a lot! I think perhaps those of us who have gone from total couch spuds to fitter and healthier women may have a longer transition, but we just need to hang in there and celebrate the victories, however small! That old scale will not bring us down!
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Options
    Squidgey - Hey, it's taken me almost a month to lose another 2 pounds, but this morning I had to pin my slouchy pants to keep them from falling off. If you're enjoying the exercise, certainly continue, but I think your body is probably in shock if you weren't exercising at all (like me) and then started a heavy regimen. I just about shot my scale last week, then decided to take my measurements and I had lost inches in some places. I know I'm looking different. I'm also feeling so much better, and that's worth a lot! I think perhaps those of us who have gone from total couch spuds to fitter and healthier women may have a longer transition, but we just need to hang in there and celebrate the victories, however small! That old scale will not bring us down!

Firstly - wow, well done you xD It's hard making the change and you're doing so amazingly now you have :)

Now. Bal thank you for this post!! I heard somewhere that your body can start to store water in the muscles if you start working them too hard too soon? Anyone know if that is true? But I've been doing this now for.....4 weeks, think it could still be that?

I've been taking measurements and they've been really good, lost 2.5in off of my hips and 2 from my waist so far! I guess i'd rather be healthy than thin....but i'd like a bit of both!!
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Options
    And yeah Pom, I've not factored in rest days....I always feel like I'm being lazy :S
  • 100lb
    100lb Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    The scales are only one form of measurement, so looking at others is good too. So keep track of your waist, etc as well as weight. I have them all on a spreadsheet, sometimes my weight doesn't move even though I've slogged it at the gym, but I'll notice that I've changed on body measurements
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Options
    Thanks 100 xD I was thinking last night....if you're shrinking but staying the same weight - so losing volume but maintaining mass, where the hell is all of the volume going??
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Options
    K, I weighed myself 3 times this week, day after day (my reasoning is that if i can track changes over a week then I can see where I gain and where I lose). Weighed myself first thing this morning 11st11......weighed myself just now, 11st9 0_o whaaaa
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I always thought that my "set point" was just set at overweight. I have a natural groove that I tend to fit into, and it's hard to deviate. That groove has always been at least 30 lbs overweight. When I started to actually pay attention to the calories, however, things changed. It was weird at first and a little hard to stick to, but as the weeks and months rolled on, I settled into it and I firmly believe I have successfully reset my "set point". I have never been careful with what I eat for this long, it's always been a mountain to climb instead of a level path. Well, this is a level path, something I'll just do forever.
    I may not have done it quickly but that wasn't my intent. I went for ease rather than speed because I am far, far more likely to stick to that. No staring at my watch and thinking "is it over yet? Am I thin? Can I go back to normal now"? Because this IS my normal now.
    I have about 30 more lbs to lose and I don't think it's going to be a problem at all. For the first time in my life I will be a healthy weight, I have no doubts about that. It'll take a long time, I suspect, but I am in no hurry. I am thinking it might be hard to adjust to maintenance but we'll see.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Options
    I always thought that my "set point" was just set at overweight. I have a natural groove that I tend to fit into, and it's hard to deviate. That groove has always been at least 30 lbs overweight. When I started to actually pay attention to the calories, however, things changed. It was weird at first and a little hard to stick to, but as the weeks and months rolled on, I settled into it and I firmly believe I have successfully reset my "set point". I have never been careful with what I eat for this long, it's always been a mountain to climb instead of a level path. Well, this is a level path, something I'll just do forever.
    I may not have done it quickly but that wasn't my intent. I went for ease rather than speed because I am far, far more likely to stick to that. No staring at my watch and thinking "is it over yet? Am I thin? Can I go back to normal now"? Because this IS my normal now.
    I have about 30 more lbs to lose and I don't think it's going to be a problem at all. For the first time in my life I will be a healthy weight, I have no doubts about that. It'll take a long time, I suspect, but I am in no hurry. I am thinking it might be hard to adjust to maintenance but we'll see.

Thank you so much for that :) It's exactly how I've been feeling - as though my body just naturally sets itself a point. Thank you for letting me know someone else has that feeling, and that that point can be reset!!